Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Lost Corner Exploration

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
Smar969905's Tacoma Gallery
Lost Corner Exploration

latest Info

Date: Aug 15-18
Meeting Point: Tatoosh Food Market 9:00 AM
13053 Highway 12, Packwood, WA 98361
It has a gas station, and small store there for any last second purchases and fill ups

New plan is to hit the WABDR trails meeting in Packwood, and heading North, then turn off into Naches trails.

The WABDR is a known trail that is not especially difficult but going into Naches will take some better equipped trucks.

People going:

Benson X - Ben
Mutilatedjak - David
Chickenmunga - Mike
penguins_cc - Will (plus work companion)
Bennett707 - Cody (with female and canine companions, separate things of course)
Taco salad sport (maybe)
OutbackHack - Mike
Costcopizza - (not Shane)
Starting August 14 from Oregon
AWilson013 - Alex (with Scottish terrier navigator)
GSPRunner - Joe (plus Fritz the short haired German pointer)

things to bring

Ben - old propane stove, 2.5 gal propane bottle, folding table
Mike chickenmunga - stove
Will - table, propane fire pit, a few spare truck parts, spill cleanup kit
Joe - stove, table
Mike outbackhack - stove, tables, chairs, awnings

Does somebody have a percolator for morning coffee?

Money (probably good to have both cash and cards)
Camping gear (I am sure there will be some discussion as to bigger things to bring that will be shared)
In camp gear, you will need your own tent, sleeping bag, pillow, and extra blankets
A couple sweatshirts and extra changes of clothes. Think about the possibility of getting wet or coated with mud
Camp chair
GPS if you have one with updated maps
Bigger camp gear items can include a camp stove, propane, camp dishes, small barbecue
Dish soap and bucket for washing dishes
Food for everybody in your vehicle for 4 days
Water for everybody in your vehicle for 4 days
Bug spray
Water proof outer layer (rain coat)
For trucks without canopies or covers, a tarp to cover your gear in case of rain
Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, toilet paper, hand sanitizer)
Baby wipes or wet wipes
Trash bags
Allergy pills
Towels
Camera(s) as I have heard there are some great views out here
Firewood (this may not actually be necessary as there may be burn bans in effect)
Wouldn't hurt to bring roasting sticks for marshmallows and hotdogs
Sunscreen (this is summertime going up the middle of the state where it gets hot)
A couple pairs of shoes (maybe some hiking, some driving, or even walking around and stepping in puddles)
If bringing any pets, let others know here before showing up. Not all dogs get along.
Basic tool set
12v pump to air up tires
Basic Recovery gear
1 extra can of gas
Fire extinguisher
Fluid spill kit
Alcohol you plan to consume
Firearms (no promises on a place to shoot them though)

————————————————————————————————————————————— —————

Original stuff, now outdated
It was brought up that a several people were interested in exploring the mostly undocumented trails in the "Lost Corner" that is NE Washington.

Obviously, people have that pesky waste of time called work that gives money but interferes with personal life. Some have significant others who want nothing to do with offroading or camping. For those of us able to get past those small inconveniences, we are planning a 3 day 2 night trip to explore, rank, photograph, and generally help map out these trails for others to also get to.

I am volunteering my place as a base point for people to meet and be able to park trucks. I have 10 acres in Deer Park, which is the north end of Spokane area. From my house, it is about 60 miles north, then 10-20 miles east with a few trails on the south and a whole lot more to the north going almost up to the Canadian border. I will be accepting people at my house starting Wed Aug 14. If you stay at my house, you must be okay with dogs, cats, and horses (horses from a distance at least). My dogs and cats live here and don't have another place to go. I have 1 spare bed, a couch, and a lot of floor space.

Edit: (adding more maybes)

Date: Aug 15-18

Drivers:
Benson X - Ben
Mutilatedjak - David
Chickenmunga - Mike
penguins_cc - Will
GSPRunner - Joe (maybe, and no passengers)

Passengers:
Smar969905 - Zach
13greysled - Matt
Bennett707 - Cody (maybe)
Taco salad sport (maybe)
RSDeuce

Trails:
There is very limited info about them, as far as difficulty and ratings go, but you can find them on nwjeepn.com and 4x4trailinfo.com

TRAIL LIST
http://goo.gl/maps/EbMAQ

A few of us went out and started looking at this area and found a lot of gravel roads with trees across them or trail closed signs. A chainsaw helped make the low enough to drive over or small enough pieces to move out of the way. Due to this, it has been decided not to pursue these trails any farther in a big group effort.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
I think a 3 day 2 night trip is about perfect for how long.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
RSDeuce is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
RSDeuce's Tacoma Gallery
I am new and mostly lurking the WA area threads, but would be really interested in something longer than a day trip.

Subscribed.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like fun.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ben originally mentioned that he was thinking about a week, but after he took his truck swimming, said that a shorter trip would be in order due to funding. I would think there is enough for having more like a 4 day 3 night trip.

figure about a 5 hour drive to my place give or take depending on where you live, which also means 5 hour drive back. from my place, figure another hour or more north to get to where the untracked area is. if you make the last day a commute home day, that really leaves 3 days of playing and exploring. due to varying schedules, this could be arranged that some people arrive early, leave early, others arrive late and leave late, and i can find a way to arrive early leave late.

maybe for all you west enders (including any interested people from Oregon), drive over thursday night, take off to hit trails friday, head back to my place monday morning, get people back to their own trucks, and drive home. that gives a good portion of friday, and all day saturday and sunday to play. I could pull a trailer up behind my truck with extra camp gear, firewood, etc, and drop back friday afternoon and pick up late arrivals.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
Willie64
willie64 is on a distinguished road

Name: willie64
willie64's Tacoma Gallery
This would be fun to get back in to that area. I worked in Dogtown an lived in C'DA, I would often be in north Spokane Co for work (was in Deer Park at least 1x a week) and at the end of the day I would cut through the woods over to ID and home.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:48 PM   #7
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
Zach, have you looked into the trails around your place? For difficulty/ course we can take.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm. What kind of trails do you have in mind? I've never been to your part of the state. Also Oregon Archery season starts Aug 30th, Washington is Sep 1. I would be more likely to join before those dates, and also after those dates the woods will be full of hunters.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for getting this thread started Zach! I was thinking the same thing, maybe a 4 day/3 night trip.

Here are the trails that Mike and I put together. There is very limited info. about them, as far as difficulty and ratings go, but you can find them on nwjeepn.com and 4x4trailinfo.com

I will be in Vegas from 7/9-7/14 and have a wedding on 8/30. I'm thinking any time late July, mid-Aug might be good for me.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
ToyotaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Greysled View Post
Zach, have you looked into the trails around your place? For difficulty/ course we can take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Hmm. What kind of trails do you have in mind? I've never been to your part of the state. Also Oregon Archery season starts Aug 30th, Washington is Sep 1. I would be more likely to join before those dates, and also after those dates the woods will be full of hunters.
Ben and Mike have been dealing with all the trail planning. I am aiming more for getting the initial groundwork set up for people to make it over here. I am going to look into a couple other areas around here for some trails. I have a line on a place over in 9 mile falls area, which is north end, a little west of center of spokane. so far, what i have seen online is that those tend to be a few rolling hills good for bikes, but maybe not such a good place for trucks, unless you are Zach from Oregon and taking a truck out jumping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Thanks for getting this thread started Zach! I was thinking the same thing, maybe a 4 day/3 night trip.

Here are the trails that Mike and I put together. There is very limited info. about them, as far as difficulty and ratings go, but you can find them on nwjeepn.com and 4x4trailinfo.com

I will be in Vegas from 7/9-7/14 and have a wedding on 8/30. I'm thinking any time late July, mid-Aug might be good for me.
What does everybody feel about Aug 22-25? that is friday through monday.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
I am so excited about this.... Now I just have to figure out what I have to buy my wife so I can go.......
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
ben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Minesweep service as EM
Name: Benjamin
ben916's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
I am so excited about this.... Now I just have to figure out what I have to buy my wife so I can go.......
I just told my wife about this and she LOL'ed and agreed that "something" must be purchased...
Old 03-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #13
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
"Here, I know you like chocolate. I got you this snickers bar. I love you a lot so I got the king size."
Old 03-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #14
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FYI Zach, I don't think we needed extra trails unless we are having a second driving group.

Before we generate too much interest we might want to discuss who our drivers are and how many.

I think I like those dates but have to check calendar tomorrow
Old 03-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
n00b waffle
mutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shedmutilatedjak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mutilatedjak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
FYI Zach, I don't think we needed extra trails unless we are having a second driving group.

Before we generate too much interest we might want to discuss who our drivers are and how many.

Put me at like 90%, pending the gift for my wife heh heh. At least I think my truck is capable of keeping up with the pack heh heh
Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
This thread makes me question my decision for staying in Oklahoma. Damn first world problems!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #17
ToyotaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedjak View Post
Plane ticket to Vegas...one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
I just told my wife about this and she LOL'ed and agreed that "something" must be purchased...
Also one way ticket to Vegas.

Quote:
"Here, I know you like chocolate. I got you this snickers bar. I love you a lot so I got the king size."
LOL! My wife would get upset because it is only one, and not a whole bag.

Quote:

My thought on other trails is to somewhat know them and have them as a backup in case we have issues on the exploration or go through it too fast.

I would like to say that drivers should have double cabs and very capable trucks, meaning well built up. Long bed vs short doesn't really matter. This will help to provide more space for other riding along. I was considering bringing my truck for the sole purpose of pulling my trailer behind it, then parking it at some sort of camp. That can allow some things to be locked into my truck, as well as quite a bit of storage for any other things to bring along, like tents and camp gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
This thread makes me question my decision for staying in Oklahoma. Damn first world problems!
Get a plane ticket to airport code GEG, which is Spokane. You can stay at my place as long as the dogs and cats approve.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #18
Nuggety

That makes sense about the backup routes. We were able to come up with a set of trails that did a loop, but we of course have little info on their condition. None of them looked so long that we would be camping in the middle of the trail to try completing it, but perhaps camping somewhere convenient along the way. If there's a few of us with canopies or covers, we can make those vehicles be gear mules.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #19
ToyotaLover

I figured it would be camping in an open area, not a trail. In the little I talked to Ben about this, my place is essentially a parking lot, and 4-5 trucks take off with people for the exploration for the weekend then back to my place at the end.

Mike, do you want me to try and scout out any trails or leave this as a complete surprise?
Old 03-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #20
GSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant futureGSPRunner has a brilliant future

Name: Joe
GSPRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I don't have to buy my girl shit, so let me know the exact dates and I'll let you know if we're in or not

Products Discussed in this Thread