1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

looking into moving to ID

Discussion in 'North West' started by amolo80, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Jul 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM
    amolo80

amolo80 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    08' TRD PRE RUNNER SR5 DCSB
    STOCK FOR NOW
    so im starting this thread becuase im looking into relocating to ID boise or meridian from so cal. my family is moving there and to be honest in my sitiuation its to costly to live out here in california. so my questions are how is living in ID weather,jobs,housing etc, I'd really like your guys honest thoughts on life out there. any feed back would be greatly appreciated. thank you..

2. Jul 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Boise is an awesome place. cheap housing, cheap cost of living, tons of outdoor activities.

Where in WA are you? Ive got an interview in Seattle the 21st for a job in Everett. Ive never even been to WA! haha

3. Jul 10, 2014 at 8:12 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I agree. Boise is a great place to live. The cost of living is pretty darn good, especially compared to California. And the outdoor activites in close proximity is amazing. The only downside, but also an upside compared to california is how much smaller it is. So you lose a big town feel with a big bar strip, and tons of retail shops and different businesses. Boise is a pretty small city, with a number of suburbs around it.
    Boise is about 200k, meridian and nampa are both around 80k and caldwell is around 40k

Weather is pretty darn good, and we have real seasons haha! Boise is a high desert, so the summers are nice and summery from early june through september. Not a ton of snow in the winter, maybe 4 or 5 storms. But up in the mountains they get 200-300ft a year (its been down quite a bit the last 5 years though)

The only other places I really want to live would be SLC and Denver

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. Jul 10, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab V6 4x4
    Mods: sand, dog hair, roof rust
    I lived in Stanley for summer working for the US Forest Service in the Sawtooth National Forest. Was not much there but the scenery is jaw-dropping. Probably not the response you're looking for, but at least there are tons of awesome places to explore if your an outdoorsman. Been itchin to go back ever since.

5. Jul 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    My personal favorite is north up by Coeur D'Alene ID. Not as much of a desert for my tastes. Lived their all last summer and go back a lot all times of the year. Love it

6. Jul 10, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    amolo80

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    STOCK FOR NOW
    Thank you so much for the feed back. Yea here in cali is just to much for the cost of living, don't get me wrong I love California but from what I see in ID I could get used to a small town feel and to be able to get away from the concrete jungle, and to enjoy all seasons as well. It's still up in the air but if I can get a good paying job out there I might just be moving on up..

7. Jul 10, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    JeffRoyJenkins

JeffRoyJenkins Essentially Non-Essential

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Nothing too exciting... maybe a little rust
    Where are you interviewing at for a job in Everett? I work in Everett and live right over in Lake Stevens

8. Jul 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    BNSF railway. The interview is in seattle but the job itself is based in Everett.

9. Jul 11, 2014 at 2:42 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Thanks! will do.

10. Jul 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    I just got back from a trip to So Cal. My only comment about that is damn, how the hell do people live like that? Comparing that to Boise is like comparing a Tacoma with a walrus, there just isn't one. I used to work summers in Idaho for the Forest Service. If you like the outdoors it's right next door to heaven. If you like big cities, well not so much. If you like warm weather 365, again not so much. Personally, I wouldn't live in So Cal. My last companies head quarters were down there and they couldn't understand why I felt that way. (yeah, everyone likes paying $600,000 for a house in the ghetto and sitting in stop and go traffic for hours. But, the weather is nice.)

11. Jul 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM
    CrunchyTaco99

CrunchyTaco99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Tacoma
    33x12.50 Pro Comp M/T's All-Pro Coils, UCA and 3" leafs.
    When are you planning on moving?

I am taking a road trip to San Diego and then looping thru Bend, OR, Coeur D'Alene, and Boise in October to take a look at possible relocation spots.

From where I am moving cost of living is about the same other than Bend, which is more expensive. That whole area seems to be growing really quickly though. My concern is finding a job. I work in EMS so I am kinda limited in job options. It seems most of the county EMS/Fire jobs are tough to get. What sort of jobs are you looking at?

I am pretty excited about a possible move either way. If you haven't moved by October than I will have more info to help with.

12. Jul 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM
    amolo80

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    STOCK FOR NOW
    thanks crunchy, as far as the move the sooner the better haha. im actually a bio med tech for a medical company. but i will take any job just to be able to relocate sooner..

13. Jul 11, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    The one other down side to Idaho, that because the cost of living is less the job market also pays less. So be prepared for a decrease in pay if you transfer equivalent positions haha (generally speaking)

14. Jul 11, 2014 at 5:35 PM
    amolo80

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    STOCK FOR NOW
    all good i started watching breaking bad again so i got a few ideas going....

15. Jul 12, 2014 at 12:10 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    There is a big meth problem here, so you would have a good customer base

16. Jul 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM
    amolo80

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    STOCK FOR NOW
    So the end of this month I will be going out to ID. To check it out as a feeler to see if I'd like the life out there I know it's not enough time I'll be out there 4 days. But out here in cali as far a work and cost of living is starting to take its toll. ID is really starting to look like a possible move...

17. Jul 14, 2014 at 10:26 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    The problem is all of the jobs, are all in the south, in Boise. While Boise is high desert, 45 min away is the mountains with Idaho city, and an hour and a half north is cascade and McCall. So you can have mountains and all of the pluses of a larger city.

Let me know when you are here. Maybe we can meet up with another Tw member/friend or two if you want

18. Jul 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM
    amolo80

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    STOCK FOR NOW
    the dates i'll be in ID are july31-aug 3, i will let you know where exactly ill be

19. Jul 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM
    amolo80

Member:
    First Name:
    TONY
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    STOCK FOR NOW
    its looking like im really about to pull the trigger on this move to ID. hopefully i can meet some other TW members out there soon, oh and a job will help to haha...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  20. Jul 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    glad to hear! Let me know when you make it up here and get some free time.

Products Discussed in

To Top