Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Washington State DNR News.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Washington State DNR News.

I'm making this a sticky for information purposes. I receive emails from the State DNR rep regarding outdoor areas used by all walks of life. I encourage all to get involved with their local DNR reps and pass the info on.

May 27th Letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA DNR
DNR Recreation budget update

Hi folks:
Last week I met with recreation managers from all six of our regions to discuss DNR’s recreation budget matters. I want to give you an update of that discussion as it will directly impact recreation on DNR-managed lands for the foreseeable future.
As you now know, the state legislature diverted our yearly $1.5 million in NOVA grant funding to Washington State Parks for at least the next 2 years. These grant funds are critical in keeping 110 gas-tax supported facilities and trails open and safe. In addition, our general fund budget was reduced by 60 percent, leaving us with only $200,000 a year to maintain 33 recreation facilities and 167 miles of trails. This includes facilities such as Mt. Si, McLean Creek, Lake Spokane, and Ahtanum Snow Park.
As a result of these budget reductions, we are forced to make some painful decisions that will require closing some of our recreation areas—either temporarily or permanently. Many of you may have already caught wind of this. I want to I clear up any confusion or misinformation.
The facts:
- First, we have not made any decisions yet as to which sites we will be forced to close. I have asked regional recreation managers and their staff to provide me with a list of their recommendations.
- In cutting our funding, the legislature gave us authorization to close up to 40 recreation sites.
- Decisions about closures will be based on many things, including how remote a site is, sites that don’t support trail-based recreation, and sites that are high maintenance but attract a low volume of visitors.
- “Closure” may mean several things:
  • ** An area’s seasonal closure dates could be extended.
    ** Temporarily closed until funding is restored.
    ** DNR may close a facility in an area, nail outhouse doors shut, discontinue garbage service, for example.
    ** Permanent closures.
    ** Changing some camping areas to day-use only.
    ** Reservation only.
- At this point, we don’t have a specific date set for when closures will go into affect. We will keep you updated and in the loop as we work through this difficult process.

Many of you have asked me why DNR can’t rely on volunteers to keep these areas open. Volunteers and user groups are very important to our program and help keep our recreation areas safe, clean, and enjoyable places for the public. We are committed to continue working with these dedicated people.
But the reality is much of our budget shortage can’t be made up for with volunteer time. For example, pumping outhouses requires professionals at a cost of $750 each pump out. Replacing a vandalized picnic table costs $500. $20 to replace signs, etc.
Once the recreation staff and I have developed a list of potential sites we will be forced to close, we will present this information to DNR’s executive management committee for further consideration. My hope is to have these difficult decisions made by July 1, which is the start of our new budget cycle for the 2009-2011 biennium.
I will keep you informed throughout the process and appreciate your patience during this challenging time.

Mark Mauren
Recreation Program Manager
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
360-902-1047
mark.mauren@dnr.wa.gov

Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
June 4th Letter

From June 4th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA DNR

Recreation update June 4, 2009Hi, Folks:
Activities

What are your plans for the weekend? Here’s some ideas from DNR’s Recreation Program:
National Trails Day is Saturday, June 6. Several events are taking place on DNR-managed lands:
-- Little Si Trailhead. Peter Goldmark, Washington State Commissioner of Public Lands, will kick off National Trails Day and the grand opening of the Little Si expanded trailhead to celebrate two years of this popular trail just outside North Bend. The festivities begin at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Little Si parking lot next to the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River. Joining DNR in the grand opening will be folks from the Mountains to Sound Greenway Trust and staff from the King County Department of Transportation, partners with DNR. A guided hike of the Little Si Trailhead will follow the opening ceremony.
In addition to the Little Si event, Greenway Trust is sponsoring volunteer work parties on several DNR landscapes including Kamikaze Falls in North Bend and Tiger Mountain in Issaquah. For more information, contact Margaret Ullman, Greenway Trust volunteer coordinator at margaret.ullman@mtsgreenway.org or visit the Greenway Trust website at mtsgreenway.org/
-- Sahara Creek Campground. Members of the Pierce County Chapter of the Back Country Horsemen of Washington are having a work party at DNR’s Sahara Creek Campground near Elbe. Work will take place in the campground area and on the trails. Safety briefing begins at the campground at 8 a.m. Contact Nancy Barker, DNR, for more details. 253-312-4310 or nancy.barker@dnr.wa.gov.
-- Capitol Forest. The Friends of Capitol Forest is sponsoring a work party in Capitol State Forest to work on trails and clear brush. Meet at 9 a.m. at the “Y” intersection of Sherman Valley and Waddle Creek Rd. For more information, contact Nick Cronquist, DNR, 360-575-5016 or nick.cronquist@dnr.wa.gov.
Learn more about National Trails Day at the American Hiking Society’s website at: http://www.americanhiking.org/ntd.aspx
News
On a serious note, many of you may have heard about a fatality accident that happened last Sunday in Walker Valley ORV Park near Mount Vernon in Skagit County. The deceased was riding a motorcycle when he drifted to the right edge of the roadway onto loose gravel. His right tire lost traction, and he lost control of his bike. He died of massive chest injuries at the scene. At the time of the accident, he was wearing a helmet and no chest protection.
I can’t stress enough the importance of staying safe while you are having fun. Take care out there!
I have heard from many of you regarding my e-mail message last week about impending closures of some DNR recreation sites. I will have more information for you next week as well as sharing with you some of the ideas, questions and concerns I heard from folks and my responses.
Have a safe and enjoyable weekend!
Mark Mauren
Assistant Division Manager
Asset Management and Recreation Division
Washington State Department of Natural Resources
360-902-1047
mark.mauren@dnr.wa.gov

Old 06-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
oh how I miss the northwest.......
Old 12-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Himiler is on a distinguished road
Navy: Long ago,far far away on the flight deck
Name: Skip
Himiler's Tacoma Gallery
Would it fit my 02 prerunner? And costs to ship? And ratio, I need 4.55gears my 2.7 auto won't pull my boat with stick 4.11 rear
Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himiler View Post
Would it fit my 02 prerunner? And costs to ship? And ratio, I need 4.55gears my 2.7 auto won't pull my boat with stick 4.11 rear

Wha?
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
Washington sooo messes up the money thing!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
Smar969905's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himiler View Post
Wrong topic i am thinking...also, if ur 2.7 with stick wont pull your boat with 4.11 gearing, your boat weighs too much. i use my stock 2.7 with stick and stock 3.73 gears to pull a horse trailer that clocks in about 4000 lbs with 1 horse and associated equipment.