Northwest Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > North West

Notices

Mt Hood ride this weekend - who's in

Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Talking Mt Hood ride this weekend - who's in

Bored? Looking for something to do this weekend, tomorrow actually.. well the weather is great and the mountain is calling. Lets ride.

Meet up 9AM Saturday (tomorrow) in Govt. Camp in front of the Huckleberry Inn. We'll caravan from there to the trailhead (info on the Badger Lake run is below and I'll print up some good maps for everyone as well). Post here if you're planning to go.

Badger Lake. Oh man, this is one awesome drive!! Check it out -->

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGW258-003

Corrected URL:
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=HGW258-003

I can assure you I've seen plenty of 2WD Prerunners do it with no problems. All that is required is some decent traction on your tires and a minimal lift for that extra inch or so of ground clearance (mainly for the last 6 miles which are pretty rocky). It's about a 50 mile trail ride and so scenic and remote and ends at a beautiful alpine glacier fed lake. Well worth it and a lot of fun getting there.

The snow is all but gone now around Govt Camp area so it's a perfect muddy ride!!!

Who's in on this?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
not a bad idea, but pretty short notice. I'd be down to go, but live just north of eugene, and thats a pretty good drive for that then another 56.X mile trail ride, then the drive home.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Agreed, pretty short notice. But hey, it's spontaneous :-)

I have to thank rvcahawaii808 for the idea as I got it from his post, and was disheartened to see that after 2+ pages of replies nothing had been set - not destination, date, nothing.

And add to that that the weather is great. The weekend is expected to be clear and should be beautiful up on the mountain.

Hey, you could always do a 1/2 day ski/boarding at Meadows afterwards?

Come on. It'll be fun. It's an amazing drive, and challenging without much danger of getting stuck. We'll have lunch at the lake. There are actually 4 remote camp sites there, pit/vault toilets, picnic tables, and we always have our tailgates :-)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Lol, tomorrow I was going to scout out stuff for rcahawaii808 for that exact post.

How tough is that last part you are talking about? If I don't hear back by tonight I'll head out anyway, I hate missing an opportunity. I'd just rather have a good idea of what I should expect.

Did you PM RVC? He might not get email reminders... I'll send him one now
Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Proud Washingtonian
godofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud of

Navy: paper pusher
Name: Steve
godofspeed's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I was already up there. Hopefully you guys plan a trip when I am living up there.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Steve, I will be moving from San Diego, Ca to Camas, Washington and working in Portland in July, August. I am in the Navy, decided on taking some orders there. I am really excited about the move. Hope to meet some of you.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
NewHere
PacNWgen1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
PacNWgen1's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds Fun. I have 4x4 with 50% tread and no lift. Is that going to be a problem? Let me know. I could bring the grill and do some bbq for lunch. Come on NW!! Where you at?
Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Somewhere on sabbatical

Chickenmunga, how fortuitous. Great, hope to see you there tomorrow.

Yeah the trail is not one that will bang up your truck or where you'd likely get stuck. In the summertime guys get back in there in cars. Honestly I don't know how they pull it off but I've seen it. So the ground clearance isn't that bad.

The wildcard factor here will be the snow level. I've been checking and all my resources indicate the snow is totally gone now in Govt Camp. However this trail is a rutted dirt road that winds through a deeply tree shaded area at a slightly higher elevation then Govt Camp. So, I'd expect to find patches of snow here and there still, maybe? Certainly lots of mud. Yes, I said mud :-)
Old 03-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Somewhere on sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofspeed View Post
I wish I was already up there. Hopefully you guys plan a trip when I am living up there.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Steve, I will be moving from San Diego, Ca to Camas, Washington and working in Portland in July, August. I am in the Navy, decided on taking some orders there. I am really excited about the move. Hope to meet some of you.
Nice to meet you Steve. You'll be living just down the road from me. I'm in Vancouver WA. Give me a shout when you get here and we'll do some rides.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Proud Washingtonian
godofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud of

Navy: paper pusher
Name: Steve
godofspeed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
Nice to meet you Steve. You'll be living just down the road from me. I'm in Vancouver WA. Give me a shout when you get here and we'll do some rides.
Will do! I plan on having my truck finished with mods before I get up there. I am going to wait to do rims and tires when I get up there. I don't want to get less MPG for the drive up there. 1000 Mile. Should be fun.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Somewhere on sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWgen1 View Post
Sounds Fun. I have 4x4 with 50% tread and no lift. Is that going to be a problem? Let me know. I could bring the grill and do some bbq for lunch. Come on NW!! Where you at?
OK then I'll bring some dogs and buns. Don't NOT show up man.. or forget the grill or we'll all be stuck eating cold dogs, ugghhh.

Anyway, looks like there will be at least 3 of us going now. Wooohoooo!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
NewHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
OK then I'll bring some dogs and buns. Don't NOT show up man.. or forget the grill or we'll all be stuck eating cold dogs, ugghhh.

Anyway, looks like there will be at least 3 of us going now. Wooohoooo!
Haha Better get pre cooked ones. J/K See you there. Let's go get muddy!!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
rvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to all

Name: cameron
rvcahawaii808's Tacoma Gallery
damn this sounds really fun. but my girlfriend has been nagging at me for like a month now to take her snowboarding, and i have been putting it off and going with friends cus shes so bad. haha. so yeah i promised id take her tomorrow. probably gonna finish riding around 3-4ish if you guys are still around grilling and stuff.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
Somewhere on sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcahawaii808 View Post
damn this sounds really fun. but my girlfriend has been nagging at me for like a month now to take her snowboarding, and i have been putting it off and going with friends cus shes so bad. haha. so yeah i promised id take her tomorrow. probably gonna finish riding around 3-4ish if you guys are still around grilling and stuff.
Dude. You should go on the ride with us in the AM, bring the GF. It's a good ride. not too extreme and very scenic. Then, do the 1/2 day pass and board all afternoon.

I might do that myself, hmmm.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you guys all go, Watch out for Mountainwolfpup! He's pretty crazy off road! :P
Old 03-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
NewHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you guys all go, Watch out for Mountainwolfpup! He's pretty crazy off road! :P
The crazier the better. Normal people dont have fun or any good stories!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNWgen1 View Post
The crazier the better. Normal people dont have fun or any good stories!
True that! He should have a shit load of good stories

Dwight, Take lots of pics!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
NewHere

Quote:
True that! He should have a shit load of good stories
hahaha
Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
Somewhere on sabbatical

Quote:
Thanks Chris for the vote of confidence :-) We'll take lots of pics and post em up to TW Sunday.

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #19
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
any other food related items needed? I can pitch in on cost if nothing else.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #20
Somewhere on sabbatical

Bring a bag of chips Mike. That would be cool. Adam has the grill covered and I'll get the dogs and buns (and I've got the condiments in my fridge already).

See ya at 9.