Notices

**official mt.hood meet 2**

View Poll Results: which day
march 20th 1 14.29%
march 27 6 85.71%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #1
rvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to all

Name: cameron
rvcahawaii808's Tacoma Gallery
**official mt.hood meet 2**

alright so you guys had bad luck last week but lets start planning another go around since it took so long last time

im thinking either Saturday March 20th or Saturday March 27th

lets see if more people could go this time. vote on which day works better for you and maybe we can get this thing going.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just subbing so i remember to look at my calendar when I get back to work. Either should work for me because i was supposed to be in Boise the week of the 22nd, but my client pushed back their onsite to April.

EDIT: I should also mention that the area got more snow earlier this week (I actually saw some in Beaverton, but it didn't stick). It might be best to choose the later date for stuff to melt a bit.

For our use: road cams
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
TakeItEasy
Jedidiah has much to be proud ofJedidiah has much to be proud ofJedidiah has much to be proud ofJedidiah has much to be proud ofJedidiah has much to be proud ofJedidiah has much to be proud ofJedidiah has much to be proud ofJedidiah has much to be proud of

Jedidiah's Tacoma Gallery
I chose the 27th not too sure if can...really would like to meet all the oregonians though!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
rvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to allrvcahawaii808 is a name known to all

nice link to the cams. agreed on waiting to see if the snow melts also. but i down for either day so i didnt vote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcahawaii808 View Post
i down for either day so i didnt vote
most definitely.

the road I mentioned that I found is further west towards zigzag, and it was bone dry, so we might find benefit from roads closer in. It wasn't on my GPS so I don't know how far it goes or if it's some awesome redneck driveway.

I'm going to make it an unofficial BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED rule that you guys bring a good assortment of recovery tools, and depending what we have at our disposal depends on what we tackle. Last run we had a little above the bare minimum. I can't afford to dump cash on a hi-lift and winch right yet, but I'm trying to make up for those "I'll get to it" purchases, definitely adding a pair of quick fists and a shovel to my arsenal. I also need some new, heavier cables.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #6

i feel like i'll be getting pulled out the most soooo. i can pick up a shovel thats for sure. anything in particular you think i should look at?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #7
Living the dream !!!
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Yeah, picked up a shovel this week. I'm convinced that is hands-down the must have snow recovery tool.

Also going to look for a winch recovery strap.. those cost a few bucks so just looking right now.. my China Freight one snapped pretty quick so going to get a "real" one for our next trip.

BTW, the 20th works for me. The 27th is out I'm at the coast camping that week.

Could do the 1st weekend in April. That would be my vote. Best chance the snow has cleared somewhat.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #8
chazjb is on a distinguished road

Name: James
chazjb's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys i agree on waiting till the 27th. govy got three feet of snow on monday (3/7/10) night and i woke up to an inch in sandy, the weather guy also said more snow here in sandy maybe thursday night (3/11/10) which means more on the mtn. (sorry to give you all a weather update lol) but unless you are bringing your snowboards id wait. I have a high lift jack i can bring tho and im sure i can find a shovel. But im in if we go the 27th.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
Nuggety

Quote:
i feel like i'll be getting pulled out the most soooo. i can pick up a shovel thats for sure. anything in particular you think i should look at?
I'm borrowing this from my club, NWFJCC. I edited the list a little.

Quote:
Winch & accessories*
Hi-Lift Jack & accessories*
20-30ft recovery (Not Tow) strap (NO METAL HOOKS!)*
Receiver shackle for rear recovery, or a receiver with a d-ring shackle*
gloves**
Shovel*
Axe*
Chainsaw*
Spare parts for vehicle*
Cell phone*
GPS*
CB Radio or GMRS walkie talkie*

Mandatory Items:
First Aid Kit**
Trash bag*
Minimal Tools for vehicle repairs**
Fire Extinguisher**

** MANDATORY
* Very highly recommended
* Absolutely optional
for more ideas, check our own forums:
recovery tips for winching
check list

I don't expect anyone to have all those things (I certainly don't, though I'm slowly building), but the more you have, the more you can use and the easier it is.

I also tend to bring a Camelbak of water, some energy bars, and sometimes a heavy sleeping bag.

Quote:
Also going to look for a winch recovery strap.. those cost a few bucks so just looking right now.. my China Freight one snapped pretty quick so going to get a "real" one for our next trip.
Dwight, since you have a winch you would want a tree saver and a winch line dampener at minimum. If you don't want to buy a dampener, a really heavy blanket (think like the ones UHaul has) work great too. I felt really dumb afterwards that I forgot about doing this last time (glad we were OK). Also, you may want a winch extension strap.

For those of us without winches, it's VERY good to have a high quality recovery strap. Recovery straps are a bit different that a regular straps. From ARB:

Quote:
This ability to stretch is a distinction between a snatch strap and a tow strap, ARB snatch straps are elastic when under load whereas a tow strap is not, the benefits of which are twofold. Firstly, the kinetic energy generated by the elasticity actually aids the recovery itself, and secondly, the elasticity greatly reduces the likelihood of vehicle damage during recovery. The enormous weight of each 4x4 and the weighted force of whatever caused the immobilization puts enormous strain on the point where the straps are attached, and without some elasticity, there is a substantial risk of damaging the vehicle. For vehicle recovery, a snatch strap is more suitable than a tow strap.
As you may have read above, you really want to look at straps that don't have metal hooks. the reason being is that when a strap breaks, the hooks can become projectiles.

Just as an example of straps, ARB provides a decent list with some explanations for each

For those in the Portland area, I bought mine from Leonard's Offroad. I believe I got the ARB one rated for 17,500 lbs. for about $60.

I'm not saying you have to buy ARB either (they are kind of Rolls-Royce when it comes to budgeting). There's some good choices on Amazon, I would probably have gone with one made by Keeper had I seen that page beforehand.

For those of you who are starting out and want an all-in-one, this is probably the best deal going. Some of the stuff you may not use, but between my strap and the two d-rings that I own, i was sitting at a little under $90... so yeah, there's some deals there.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #10

+1 for that post. i'll take a look at some of that although im trying to save some money for new UCAs. definately will try and get the shovel and recovery straps by the next time we go. i'll add saturday april 3rd to the list as well.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #11
Nuggety

I should also mention that these rock for fire extinguishers, and they fit in the cubbies in doublecabs. They are available from Costco for under $20
Old 03-11-2010, 12:46 AM   #12

okay nevermind i dont know how to change the poll. if another date works better for you write it down and i'll try to keep track
Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 AM   #13
Nuggety

Quote:
+1 for that post. i'll take a look at some of that although im trying to save some money for new UCAs.
Unless you are replacing tires soon, you are OK with your UCAs for some time. I've got stock tires and I'm fine so far. It's better to gear up on safety first, even if it's the boring stuff.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #14
Nuggety

Quote:
okay nevermind i dont know how to change the poll. if another date works better for you write it down and i'll try to keep track
I think you have to edit your first post. try heading to the test area of the forum to try it out.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #15

hmm. i probably missed but i couldnt fix it.

but i wanted to get new UCAs cus i feel like im going side to side when im going highway speeds, and i think UCAs help fix that. i got an alignment when i installed my 5100s @ 2.5" but i feel like firestone did a shitty job cus im young and they figured i wouldnt know any better. but i was also thinking about getting new coils to get maybe 3"+ of lift which is why the need for the new UCAs
Old 03-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #16
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
i vote the 27th or April 3rd, just for the sake of snow. Ive got a 20,000lbs tow strap, fire extinguisher, shovels, BEER, some band-aids, advil, sleeping bag, MORE BEER, flashlight, some tools, navi, EVEN MORE BEER, gloves, CB and two-ways, AGAIN MORE BEER, jumper cables. I can try to bring some traction ramps to get down by the tires so if neccasary we can drive up out of stuck situation.

Anything you can think of else? i may have it laying around. Either way, Pick a dat by sunday night and Lets make it stick so i'll be able to roll with all you fine TACO nuts.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
4ari trd is on a distinguished road

4ari trd's Tacoma Gallery
i like the more beer guy haha im down whenever you guys name the day time and place and count me in
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
Living the dream !!!
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Dwight, since you have a winch you would want a tree saver and a winch line dampener at minimum. Also, you may want a winch extension strap.

For those of you who are starting out and want an all-in-one, this is probably the best deal going.
Yeah, our trip gave me a great 1st person experience seeing my China Freight tow strap snap apart after tree bark cut through it.. and then saw a steel cable snap and send the winch hook flying within feet of you and my truck, YIKES!! Your recovery strap was the ticket :-) And this is a great deal you found. I went ahead and ordered the kit. Thank you for reminding me how important it is to be properly prepared beforehand.. and that a winch isn't much good without the right accessories.

Cheers!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
not sure if this happened today. Subscribed. I may be up in Edmonds next week, so the week after works well for me.

Would be good to meet everybody!

James
Old 03-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
UG legend wannabe
snowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnowgod06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
snowgod06's Tacoma Gallery
yup already passed my friend, were going to sand lakes the 17=18 of april, theres a sticky at the top of the NW thread.

Products Discussed in this Thread