1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to learn how to weld!

Discussion in 'North West' started by 04LTtacoma, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Apr 19, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Anyone in Oregon a good welder? I am thinking about going to PCC this summer to take welding classes.. I would rather have someone teach me then go to a school and be taught(mostly would want to be taught by someone else then the school because I would have to pay a tuition).
    Anyone local???:)

2. Apr 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    bump!!!

3. Apr 20, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
  4. Apr 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    My experience welding was greatly enhanced when I started taking a couple night classes, it's worth it. I shadowed a couple welders and got pretty good at sticking steel together and making it look good, but I learned alot more from the classes: fundamentals, metal types, etc. all the from the molecular level to what machine I should use for what job. Plus, you can learn how to do all types of welding in a class, whereas if were to shadow someone at a shop you'd probably only use 1-2 types over and over.

Classes are also an easy way to get your certs if you decide to take a career path in welding. Plus, when I did this 10 years ago, I got to make all sorts of cool stuff for my CJ5 I had at the time, and I'm pretty sure I broke even on tuition with the amount of material I used... and butchered.

It's easy to stick metal together, truely welding metal together is a fine art.

5. Apr 23, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    I want to learn how to weld for fun. Maybe use the experience on my own rig and other peoples rigs.

6. Jun 9, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    I also want to learn how to weld. Im trying to decide on what welder I want to get for my first one. Im thinking a miller or lincoln 220v. My plan is to mess around at my house attempting to build little things and then take some classes to get better. I think it would be really nice to be able to fab little stuff for my truck like beefing up my bud builts, making a hoop for my sliders, and building a bed rack. Any advice for a complete noob? Im only 16 btw.

7. Oct 30, 2014 at 2:40 AM
    pnwtaco

pnwtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    95 3.4 manual 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's, Pro Comp alloy rims with 33" Duratracs
    I know this is an old thread. BUT. have you advanced at all in your quest of learing to weld? It is something i have been passionate about for a long time, and also a very beneficial hobby to master.

8. Oct 30, 2014 at 2:47 AM
    pnwtaco

pnwtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    95 3.4 manual 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's, Pro Comp alloy rims with 33" Duratracs
    Go with Miller or Hobart. Both are basically the same thing, but i have never had problems with the Millers. The fab shop I worked for, my highschool and tech school ran millers. Can't beat em IMO. If you decide to go with the 110/120v outlet route, I'd suggest getting a 135A welder. You can weld up to 1/8 or a 1/4" or more if you heat up thicker metal with a torch you can really go up to 1/2" easily. Migs are awesome though, they're squirt guns :D

Products Discussed in

To Top