Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   North West (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/north-west/)
-   -   Boise, Idaho trails (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/north-west/193431-boise-idaho-trails.html)

IdahoNomad 12-17-2011 10:40 AM

Boise, Idaho trails
 
Just moved back to Boise, Idaho after a 5 year adventure with the US Army. Anyways looking for some trails in the Boise area. I did the Boise Ridge Road from Rocky Canyon to Bogus the other day and it was a lot of fun. Anyone have any other recommendations? I've heard of trails out in the Owyhees but have heard they can be a bit difficult, I also dont have anyone to go with so would rather keep it simple and safe. I drive a 2010 DC TRD Off Road bone stock and am looking for something on the easier side. Any suggestions?

Zombie Runner 12-17-2011 02:18 PM

I lived in mountain home for a year and a half and I would take the truck out every weekend. That's one of my favorite things about Idaho, open ranges!!!

IDtrucks 12-17-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bassman (Post 4203711)
Might look and ask in here, might find something your looking for
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...bs-thread.html

that thread sucks ass, nothing cool in there:spy:



welcome back to boise! i just sold the 2wd and got a 4x4 so im also trying to find trails locally. i just talked to a guy i work with that off roads a lot, he had a built 4runner, now he has a 92 pre taco, but he was talking about 2 really fun trails off of bogus road, both on the right hand side. the ridge trail you did might be one of the ones he was talking about. i still have to find them, but he said one was around the 5000 ft mark, and one was up right after the tree line starts i believe. he said they were pretty fun and technical. he described them as " they dont look like something a truck should be on" and "lets just say its not something you would take your subaru outback down". also there is 8th street that gets pretty technical once you get further back, but i believe that is getting closed soon. idaho city is also another place to check out.

Digiratus 12-18-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoNomad (Post 4203028)
Just moved back to Boise, Idaho after a 5 year adventure with the US Army. Anyways looking for some trails in the Boise area. I did the Boise Ridge Road from Rocky Canyon to Bogus the other day and it was a lot of fun. Anyone have any other recommendations? I've heard of trails out in the Owyhees but have heard they can be a bit difficult, I also dont have anyone to go with so would rather keep it simple and safe. I drive a 2010 DC TRD Off Road bone stock and am looking for something on the easier side. Any suggestions?

I was digging through my map collection the other day and found a great little book entitled "Idaho Byways". It contains quite a number of "scenic" drives, appropriate for a mostly stock vehicle with many of the drives being off-pavement.

I just googled it and was surprised to find it is still in print. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Idaho-Byways-B.../dp/1889329010

birdhuntintacoma 01-20-2012 11:51 PM

Is that Boise Ridge Road mellow enough for a beginner off-roader to go by his self? I always want to go out but hesitant without another truck/buddy.

Twistedfreedom 01-20-2012 11:56 PM

never go alone man

IdahoNomad 01-21-2012 10:38 AM

birdhuntintacoma, I've done the Ridge Road by myself in better conditions, but I would definitely not suggest it now, with all the recent snow its gotten. I've been on it in years past with friends who had full size rigs and 36" super swampers and we almost got stuck. Another place that has some easy trails is the Owyhees but they also might be snowed in by this point.

IDtrucks 01-21-2012 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by birdhuntintacoma (Post 4399781)
Is that Boise Ridge Road mellow enough for a beginner off-roader to go by his self? I always want to go out but hesitant without another truck/buddy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdahoNomad (Post 4401120)
birdhuntintacoma, I've done the Ridge Road by myself in better conditions, but I would definitely not suggest it now, with all the recent snow its gotten. I've been on it in years past with friends who had full size rigs and 36" super swampers and we almost got stuck. Another place that has some easy trails is the Owyhees but they also might be snowed in by this point.

The upper section of trails (where boise ridge road is at) has alot of snow on them and i would not try them without good tires, aired down, and a friend with a nice long recovery strap.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...3&d=1327191697

Twistedfreedom 01-21-2012 06:07 PM

how do you know?

Digiratus 01-21-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bassman (Post 4402988)
Yea, even when you bring all your gear and a your friends and another truck, you can get yourself in a tough spot. ask me how i know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom (Post 4403293)
how do you know?

Both vehicles require similar levels of capable tires and off-roading experience. And in many circumstances, tow/yank straps are not adequate to the task. If either one of you had had a winch, you would not have gotten into the trouble you had. :cool:

Twistedfreedom 01-21-2012 06:50 PM

I had very little trouble actually. however, I'm putting a lift on this coming weekend and will have a winch as soon as my bumper shows up.

enigmadsm 02-15-2012 07:35 PM

hey gents, my first post on here. I'm on t4r.org quite a bit mainly because i have a 4runner lol. But A lot of people over there say that this site is more active especially when trying to organize a wheeling trip.

Anyways, I'd like to go out on some wheeling ventures as well. I have a decently set up rig, it could definitely use more stuff but so far its got 32s, rear locker, arb bumper and warn winch. OME lift.
my first off road rig, i used to go with my family all the time in jeeps when i was a kid. But for the past 8 years all I've done with cars is various motorsports. Never wheeling as a driver. So i'm pretty new to it.

OP or even anyone in the thread, if you plan on going out soon and don't mind a noob tagging along shoot me a pm or something! I'm down on base but don't mind going to boise. I went messing around on Bennett mountain this past weekend and on the oregon trail byway. But like the others, i was alone and inexperienced so didn't do anything difficult

IdahoNomad 02-16-2012 10:11 AM

I'd be down for a drive soon, I leave the 28th of Feb for a 3 month hiking trip if anyone wants to try for a day trip before then.

MapleMoose 02-16-2012 02:57 PM

Too bad you'll be gone in May... You could have convoyed with us down to Moab

enigmadsm 02-16-2012 03:48 PM

Welp, 8th street is closed right now. I didn't check out Ridge road because the snowline is pretty low right now and I was alone.

So we just drove down Shaw Mtn Road for a snow picnic. Had to get some poser pics while I was at it. Swaybars are all still attached. Also confirms my need for a rear bumper lol. I probably could have gone a little farther before one of the tires lifted off the ground, but I'm a noob so that's as far as I went. :)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/1.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/2.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/8.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/3.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/4.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/5.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/6.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/7.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...gmadsm/9-1.jpg

Digiratus 02-16-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bassman (Post 4574233)
Ill be in your neighborhood in a few months over the summer so some meets will happen :cool:

I'm thinking the Magruder Corridor in August. :stirthepot:

C'mon Ben, you don't want me to do it all by myself do ya? :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bassman (Post 4574312)
That front bumper is badass. I love arb bumpers. A lot of locals yoy can find in the idaho bs thread, in the regional section threads on the site. Youll find more activity there for mod days wheeling, etc there. Ide link you directly to the thread if I wasnt on my phone.

Worthy links:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...bs-thread.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...-taco-202.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...2012-team.html

IDtrucks 02-16-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigmadsm (Post 4574292)
Welp, 8th street is closed right now. I didn't check out Ridge road because the snowline is pretty low right now and I was alone.

So we just drove down Shaw Mtn Road for a snow picnic. Had to get some poser pics while I was at it. Swaybars are all still attached. Also confirms my need for a rear bumper lol. I probably could have gone a little farther before one of the tires lifted off the ground, but I'm a noob so that's as far as I went. :)


http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/6.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...nigmadsm/7.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...gmadsm/9-1.jpg

sweet man, welcome to the site from boise! Great looking 4runner! What base are you at? i learned 8th street was closed the hard way, drove up there all excited for a little trip only to find the gate locked. Im not sure about ridge road, not sure how much of the snow is melted but sure wouldnt try that without a friend and some good recovery gear, pretty sure there is still a good amount of snow up there. I haven't been boarding in a while so im not quite sure. Im going to be putting on a lift and getting new tires all within a month so i am going to need to go test them out.:D Im quite possibly more of a noob at this than you are so its good. I just found the link a few days ago to this place that i didnt even know existed.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_d803.htm

i guess it says its closed for the season so im not really sure where else to go. hemingway butte? I know there is quite a bit of crawling at blacks creek but im not sure the range of difficulty and dont want to tear my truck up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bassman (Post 4574233)
Ill be in your neighborhood in a few months over the summer so some meets will happen :cool:

dam right they will:cool:

enigmadsm 02-16-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDtrucks (Post 4576536)
sweet man, welcome to the site from boise! Great looking 4runner! What base are you at? i learned 8th street was closed the hard way, drove up there all excited for a little trip only to find the gate locked. Im not sure about ridge road, not sure how much of the snow is melted but sure wouldnt try that without a friend and some good recovery gear, pretty sure there is still a good amount of snow up there. I haven't been boarding in a while so im not quite sure. Im going to be putting on a lift and getting new tires all within a month so i am going to need to go test them out.:D Im quite possibly more of a noob at this than you are so its good. I just found the link a few days ago to this place that i didnt even know existed.
http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_d803.htm

i guess it says its closed for the season so im not really sure where else to go. hemingway butte? I know there is quite a bit of crawling at blacks creek but im not sure the range of difficulty and dont want to tear my truck up.


dam right they will:cool:

Haha, thats how I found out as well. Drove all the way up to the gate. didn't want to go all the way back to mountain home so I went and explored a little on shaw mtn drive. The dirt road goes all the way back to ridge road. But even on that fairly smooth road the snow was getting pretty deep. Like i mentioned before I was the only rig out there so I just went ahead and turned back. Didn't want to risk getting stuck. A winch is nice to have and all but it can only help me so much.
Lemme know when you go test out your new stuff. There's always lost trail or w/e its called over by Murphy. Its got some snow right now i'm sure but apparently its a pretty mellow drive so even with snow. I think it would be fine as long as there was a couple rigs out there.
As you can tell, i'm itching to get out there and have some fun

Digiratus 02-16-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3bassman (Post 4576445)
Well you wouldnt want me to miss my first week of school again would you? Time it right and I should be there

What day does school start? I'll time it right. :cool:

IDtrucks 02-16-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enigmadsm (Post 4576964)
Haha, thats how I found out as well. Drove all the way up to the gate. didn't want to go all the way back to mountain home so I went and explored a little on shaw mtn drive. The dirt road goes all the way back to ridge road. But even on that fairly smooth road the snow was getting pretty deep. Like i mentioned before I was the only rig out there so I just went ahead and turned back. Didn't want to risk getting stuck. A winch is nice to have and all but it can only help me so much.
Lemme know when you go test out your new stuff. There's always lost trail or w/e its called over by Murphy. Its got some snow right now i'm sure but apparently its a pretty mellow drive so even with snow. I think it would be fine as long as there was a couple rigs out there.
As you can tell, i'm itching to get out there and have some fun

sounds good, i ride dirtbikes out at murphy at hemingway butte. whats lost trail like? how many decent wheeling trails are out there? only ripped through on a dirtbike so i never slowed down enough to spot good 4x4 trails.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 PM.