1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Portland SWR tuning shop

Discussion in 'North West' started by munkel, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Aug 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    munkel

munkel [OP] fka unregistered lurker...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Dbl Cab V6 4WD Tacoma
    Icon Suspension, 285/75/16 BFG MT's, Steeeckers, Custom Bed Mounted Tool Storage, Wilderness Trail rack, SoftTopper, K&N CAI, Hella Aux lights, PIAA Fogs, Warn M8000, Elite Front Bumper, BAMF sliders, All-Pro leafs and shackles
    Anyone know a local business that does SWR tuning? Just installed CB last night and a need the antenna tuned.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Aug 28, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    munkel

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    Icon Suspension, 285/75/16 BFG MT's, Steeeckers, Custom Bed Mounted Tool Storage, Wilderness Trail rack, SoftTopper, K&N CAI, Hella Aux lights, PIAA Fogs, Warn M8000, Elite Front Bumper, BAMF sliders, All-Pro leafs and shackles
    Well I found a place in Clackamas and they said don't even bring it in if I have a 9ft cable vs. a 18ft cable. I was pretty convinced it wouldn't matter and I'm back at square one. May buy one and try it myself.

3. Aug 28, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    N8iV Warrior

N8iV Warrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Indian Reservation Not by Choice
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Dble Cab Trd Sport 6" fabtech lift
    6" Fabtech lift, 34" tires , AFE Cold air intake, Cobra wxst75 cb, Rocky Mountain Radar, L.e.d Headlights, L.e.d maplights,dome light, license plate lights, Tinted frnt windows 35% to match rear windows. ARB bumper with XD-9000 Warn Winch, Pro-Tech HeadAche rack with Pro-Tech Toolbox, Icon Front Coilovers for 6" Fabtech lift, Blacked out Taillights PIAA plasma ION 520 Lights, AFE CAI Pro Dry S Filter, 22" Led light bar, Yakima Mega Warrior basket
    I sed an 18 ft cable vs a 9 ft : the antennae tuned in perfectly. also keep your cb antennae away from fm antennae it will interfere with the cb. that's who i take my truck to when im in the portland area also they repair cb's too

4. Aug 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Yeah, I know of the place in Clackamas, I've been there. They think they know it all and teh guy is 'my way or the highway'.
    Cable length doesn't matter, do a search online and you can find many facts to this point.
    I hugely doubt there's anything about the fm antenna distance unless they are straight up touching, and even then I'd kind of have to see it. CB antenna is typically on left of vehicle, radio on the right. That's a whole 3 to 4 feet - such a small length that I don't see how it could matter.

The big importance, so I'm told so far and haven't found anything to dispute it, is having an excellent ground and a large enough antenna to clear the cab height. the taller the better, but keep in mind there's a tradeoff on whacking things! If you are hood mounting, 4 foot is a good size.

If you jump in the BS section and post your question, I'm sure you can get one of the other guys to help. Most of us hang in that thread and get too lazy to venture around :p

5. Aug 31, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    imnluck

imnluck Elkaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Dallas Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport
    so far-Spyder ind headache rack; but there will be lots more to come
    if you were down by salem i could prolly help you out, but meters arent that expensive, and i am sure there are lots of guys on here that can walk you through tuning.

6. Aug 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    munkel

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys

7. Aug 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    imnluck

imnluck Elkaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Dallas Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Sport
    so far-Spyder ind headache rack; but there will be lots more to come
    the length of your coax doesnt really matter *too* much..it depends on what antenna you are using (i.e. 5/8 wave or 1/4 wave) ground plane or grounded etc. the biggest thing i have found is the length of the antenna, on my old jeep when i switched from a wilson 1000 top load to a 102" whip (1/4 wave) in the same location as the old one, i had to triple the coax i had to get the swr to come back down to a managable level...it was a fiasco. i blame the soft top for a poor ground plane, and i got terrible interference from the engine....long story short, i suggest you test as you install, to avoid having to change things around, or just keep blowing finals in your unit like i did

8. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I got an SWR meter, If you get up north to Seattle/Tacoma area, i"ll be glad to help you tune it.

9. Jan 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    Hey, I just installed a CB radio and need it tuned... would you be able to help me out? I'm up in Everett, but work down in Redmond, if either of those places are near to you...

Products Discussed in

To Top