Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Norcal Winter Weather?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Norcal Winter Weather?

I need you Norcal guys' help: My wife and I would like to take a small local vacation right after the holidays and I thought about heading up north to San Francisco and maybe hitting up Mammoth Mountain on the way back. My question is, Whats weather like up there around January time? Lots of meteor showers? Consistent tsunamis? Acid Rain? Any places worth stopping at on the way up?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
It's cool in the city in January we don't get that much rain if we do it don't last long bring an umbrella just in case.

Solvang is a cool little town to check out along the way and they have good beer.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Norcal sucks. But theres some cool stuff. It wont get below 40 and probably will be around 50. It rains. What are you guys looking for?
Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Not looking for anything in particular. Just wanted to check out San Francisco and the cool attractions/sites in the area (GG Bridge ,Alcatraz, Union Square, Downtown, etc) and weve never been to mammoth so we figured we could kill 2 bird with 1 stone with the trip up there.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Not looking for anything in particular. Just wanted to check out San Francisco and the cool attractions/sites in the area (GG Bridge ,Alcatraz, Union Square, Downtown, etc) and weve never been to mammoth so we figured we could kill 2 bird with 1 stone with the trip up there.
If you're heading up to SF that's pretty much a good amount of the attractions I suppose. Maybe Pier 39 (?) or something as well. As far as weather it's pretty much what Trey said.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Dont forget to drive down Lombard St. Its wicked to take pics of also.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_wood View Post
If you're heading up to SF that's pretty much a good amount of the attractions I suppose. Maybe Pier 39 (?) or something as well. As far as weather it's pretty much what Trey said.
well thats kind of depressing, that I named most of the attractions off the top of my head. LOL. I was hoping there would be many more upon looking further into the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDan View Post
Dont forget to drive down Lombard St. Its wicked to take pics of also.
Sweet. Ill definitely keep that one in mind. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Fog and cool weather but not to bad
Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Where you coming from in CA? You driving up the coast (PCH 101 or Hwy 1)? Beautiful drive. Big Sur is on the 1. Monterey isn't too far off the 101 and it's aquariam is world renowned. Drive over the Golden Gate into Marin County. The woods and beaches up there are beautiful (Point Reyes, Stinson Beach, Muir Woods, Mount Tamalpais). You're also not that far from Napa Valley (if you like winery tours, wine sampling, etc.). If you're heading to Mammoth I'm assuming you'll drive through the Tahoe area taking either 80 or 50 over the Sierras and then down the 395 (which is an awesome drive). Towns like Lee Vining, Bishop, Lone Pine, and of course Mammoth and June Lake are spectacular. In SF don't forget Fisherman's Wharf and riding a cable car. If you're driving a stick, you best be really good with it on SF's streets! Steeeeeep.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ya cable cars in SF is a must. Point Reyes is epic. Thats the one where they take all the sweet pics of the Golden Gate bridge.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:03 AM   #11
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
as far as frisco... you can go to GG Bridge, Fishermans Wharf on Embarcadero, go shopping all up n down Market St, etc. not much to do out here. So Cal SD is the place to be. we just have all the jobs, thats it. pretty boring imo
Old 10-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
Don't go off ninjin
O SNAP! If youre feeling classy go tour wine country aka NAPA VALLEY. And hit up a couple wineries and GET DRUNK!!! Loljk. Not Classy. But ya. Wine Country is beautiful.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:35 AM   #13
Hi
Im reading your guys' posts on attractions and things to see, and [honestly] the only additional thing tempting me to go out there right now is the drive up the coast and through the forests. My buddies have told me about the drive and I thought itd be cool to go, enjoy the drive, checkout lots of cool sites, and ride mammoth for a few days.

Im starting to think that if I decide to go up to SF, Im not gonna enjoy the first half as much as I'd like to, and will only be looking forward to mammoth.

For the past couple hours I was checking out alternative destinations and I'm bringing Lake Tahoe into the mix. I think driving alongside the Sequoia Natl Forest and Yosemite National Park would be pretty cool, in addition to a handful of days at Heavenly and Squaw.

Im sorry if you guys feel you wasted your time on my thread, but I dont think you did. You guys helped me spend my vacation money on something I would truly enjoy better. Thanks.

PS: Taco meet at Heavenly/Squaw?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 AM   #14
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaDan View Post
O SNAP! If youre feeling classy go tour wine country aka NAPA VALLEY. And hit up a couple wineries and GET DRUNK!!! Loljk. Not Classy. But ya. Wine Country is beautiful.
I wish I could do that man but Im such an idiot when it comes to wine. I really havent taken the time to find the right wines and pair them with foods and such. My wife has asked me in the past, "which wine should I try". And my response is. "Bluemoon" lol. Napa seems pretty romantic and hope to one day educate myself enough to take her there and truly appreciate wine tasting in a cool setting.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:39 AM   #15
Don't go off ninjin
Thats what were here for! Suggestions. But ya Sequoia Nat'l forest is beautiful along with Yosemite. I'll be up in Cali from November to January so I wouldnt be able to meet the Norcal guys if you decided to have a meet in Jan... Norcal is where I'm originally from.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #16
Don't go off ninjin
Quote:
I wish I could do that man but Im such an idiot when it comes to wine. I really havent taken the time to find the right wines and pair them with foods and such. My wife has asked me in the past, "which wine should I try". And my response is. "Bluemoon" lol. Napa seems pretty romantic and hope to one day educate myself enough to take her there and truly appreciate wine tasting in a cool setting.
Ya I'm no help there either. I always hear my parents talk about it. I've been but I cant tell one wine from another. I just dont drink that much i guess... Anyway beautiful no matter where you go up there. But if its for a vaca then stay out of the cities and stay in the Nat'l parks. Its what Norcal is known for.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #17
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Take it from somebody in the industry- forget Napa, if you want a real, learning wine experience where the tasting room people are genuine people and know their shit stinks. Go to Sonoma, Mendocinco or Lake counties. You'll enjoy yourself alot more, the wines are just as good if not better and cheaper becasue they don't have Napa on the labbel.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #18
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Tahoe > SF.

Not much to do in SF really.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #19
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
Tahoe > SF.

Not much to do in SF really.
x2

oh and take 101 definitly beautiful drive. And depending on the day you do it from salinas to king city it is not cost effective for police to patrol the roads. Ive got some buddies in the chp there
Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Manny,

If you wanna go wine tasting, i can hook you up with approx 30 Vintner's that i know through my work. Some on a more personal relationship than others. There are a few i can think of that would definitely be fun for you and the lady.

SF is fun, there is plenty to do. Specially once the sun goes down! Tahoe is pretty fun though too. Either place be ready to spend some money for a good time. Tahoe is a little more dangerous IMO with all the ski resorts and casinos

Either way, have fun!