Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

30k mile service

Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #1
TRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDMEDIC's Tacoma Gallery
30k mile service

Any of you done this to your truck yourself or did you have dealer do it? If so what does it entail? Can any of you help me do it? Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I got a quote pushing $400 from the dealership so I did most of the work myself. I had the dealership do the oil change at 30,000 miles since I was strapped for time and and I rotated the tires, changed the fluids in the x-fer case, front diff and rear diff about 1,000 miles afterwards. Other than that, I think they inspect a bunch of stuff and maybe change the air filter and cabin filter. I had changed my air filter around 25,000 miles so I didn't do it again.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I got a quote pushing $400 from the dealership so I did most of the work myself. I had the dealership do the oil change at 30,000 miles since I was strapped for time and and I rotated the tires, changed the fluids in the x-fer case, front diff and rear diff about 1,000 miles afterwards. Other than that, I think they inspect a bunch of stuff and maybe change the air filter and cabin filter. I had changed my air filter around 25,000 miles so I didn't do it again.
When I pulled up the service schedule for 30k on the 2007 4Runner it calls for spark plug change. That is the time consuming part of this service that is going to push the dealer's price up. Back when I did the 60k on my Tacoma in my dad's repair shop he did the plugs & I did everything else. I finished about 20 minutes before he was done.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #4
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
plugs only need done on the V6. most of the stuff is inspection. if you do the fluids yourself, you can check the stuff that needs checked and change the air and cabin air filters.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i did the plugs and all fluids. oil, t-case, and the two diffs. i also changed the air filter. it took about an hour and a half. just because i was moving slow, with it being my first time. i wouldnt let the dealership do it if it cost $400. i think i spent $100 for everything.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
TRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'd rather not pay the dealer, but I wouldn't know how to do many of the stuff on my own. Would need someone's help.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMEDIC View Post
I'd rather not pay the dealer, but I wouldn't know how to do many of the stuff on my own. Would need someone's help.
With beer and pizza as bait, I mean payment, I'm sure you could get someone to help you out. None of the stuff is really that hard, the worst part is getting rid of the spent oils but I believe places have to take back the old stuff now.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i did the plugs and all fluids. oil, t-case, and the two diffs. i also changed the air filter. it took about an hour and a half. just because i was moving slow, with it being my first time. i wouldnt let the dealership do it if it cost $400. i think i spent $100 for everything.
did you find any write up for the front diff and T-case im at 29xxx right now
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
With beer and pizza as bait, I mean payment, I'm sure you could get someone to help you out. None of the stuff is really that hard, the worst part is getting rid of the spent oils but I believe places have to take back the old stuff now.
Anyone would like to take that bait? Lol
Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The plugs are the most time consuming, but they are easy DIY
Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
My 2011 Toyota Tacoma Maintenance Guide (or whatever that little book they give you is called) is now recommending the "Fuel Induction Service" as part of th 30k service.

More info: http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html