Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Tahoe! 4x4 - check. Chains???

Old 02-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
ToyoTaco10 is on a distinguished road
ToyoTaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Tahoe! 4x4 - check. Chains???

I'm heading up to Tahoe this presidents weekend 2/19/11. The weather report has been preatty bad on tv. The state website says I need to carry chains regardless of 4x4.

What do u guys think or have done? If I do have to buy them where is a good place to buy and what type in the south bay. (San Jose)

Thanks
Old 02-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Don't they check your vehicle for chains in that area? And turn you away if you don't have them?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I say just head up there without buying them. Then if you need them, buy them up there. That way you don't commit to buying anything before you know if you for sure need them. They go for ~$30 up there

Drive safe up there. Slow and Steady wins the race
Old 02-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
$30!!! R u sure??? I remember one time I went up a few years ago during a big storm, prior to having my 4x4 taco, I saw signs for chains "as low as $59.99" or some marked up bs.

I heard the workers that put them on for u, being the man that I am I wouldn't :, but they charge $30.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
if your vehicle isnt a standard car with small tires, buy them here.

i have a set that i bought and have never used. i carry them when i go up. never needed them since i had a 4x4. i heard recently, even 4bys will need the chains.

some of the larger sizes are hard to find roadside.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTaco10 View Post
$30!!! R u sure??? I remember one time I went up a few years ago during a big storm, prior to having my 4x4 taco, I saw signs for chains "as low as $59.99" or some marked up bs.

I heard the workers that put them on for u, being the man that I am I wouldn't :, but they charge $30.

My dad was a chain installer for years i wouldn't recommend buying them up there. I have never been asked to chain up in a 4x4 but just in case I bring the chains form my girls Prius because I have herd of people being asked if they have them on board but not make you put them on or check the size. So as long as you have chains in the truck your golden. Unless you are asked to chain up witch is not going to happen they usually close the pass before they make 4x4's chain up.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Scubasteve4533 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
Scubasteve4533's Tacoma Gallery
I went out to kirkwood with my dad a few years ago in his tundra and we were not allowed through carson spur b/c he did not have chains with him even though he was 4wd.

The law states that chains are required on 2wd and that 4wd has to carry if i recall correctly.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve4533 View Post
I went out to kirkwood with my dad a few years ago in his tundra and we were not allowed through carson spur b/c he did not have chains with him even though he was 4wd.

The law states that chains are required on 2wd and that 4wd has to carry if i recall correctly.

That is correct but they don't have to fit you just have to have them
Old 02-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #9
Cool!!! Thank you all for your help. I'll look to see if find them around here reasonably priced but if not ill just take my cars chains to try to be slick in case they ask.

Your pops was a chain installer?? Man they r good !!

My first time up to tahoe with out adult supervision as a teen my friends and I had never installed or removed chains. We put them on fine but as we were taking them off one of them comes up as we are taking them off and I asked him something simple and he gets on his high horse about how we r about to completely f'up our car. He said he can help take them off for $20 but we may have wrapped it around the axel and blah blah blah and that if we continue he will not help for anything less than $70. We got all scared and were like oh sh@! we r F'd. We pay the guy it takes him a whole 30 secs. Grrr!!! "Wrapped around the axel right??"

Anyway lesson learned that was 10 yrs ago now I can install/remove my own chains.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #10
slmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shedslmgt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
slmgt's Tacoma Gallery
Yep you should have chains with you.

I like the idea of fudging chains [with say a Prius' chains] except 2 things: 1) if you do need them, well, you're out of luck and 2) the CHP is

You should be fine, but at least have something with you. Be confident and finegle your way through, unless you're a bad driver - if that's the case, don't go up
Old 02-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool!!! Thank you all for your help. I'll look to see if find them around here reasonably priced but if not ill just take my cars chains to try to be slick in case they ask.

Your pops was a chain installer?? Man they r good !!

My first time up to tahoe with out adult supervision as a teen my friends and I had never installed or removed chains. We put them on fine but as we were taking them off one of them comes up as we are taking them off and I asked him something simple and he gets on his high horse about how we r about to completely f'up our car. He said he can help take them off for $20 but we may have wrapped it around the axel and blah blah blah and that if we continue he will not help for anything less than $70. We got all scared and were like oh sh@! we r F'd. We pay the guy it takes him a whole 30 secs. Grrr!!! "Wrapped around the axel right??"

Anyway lesson learned that was 10 yrs ago now I can install/remove my own chains.
Yeah thanks to my dad I learned how to install chains when I was like 11
Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Chains on a 4x4 OR R3 as they call it Hardly ever happen. They will usually will just hold all traffic or just close the road tell they get caught up! I plowed snow in Truckee for 3 winters & drove over I80 almost every day.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on where you are in San Jose but there's a little independent auto-parts shop at the corner of Meridian and Branham that I often go to.

If you buy them now, you'll always have them handy.

EDIT - and practice putting them on down here in San Jose. Don't learn on the side of a snowy, muddy, busy road in the dark.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Up here in Oregon you can buy chains before heading up the mountain and return them when you get home if you haven't used them.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #15
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's usually 4x4 ok without chains but I just heard on the news that chains are required except 4x4 with SNOW tires. I don't think the factory tires qualify as snow tires.
You can call the CHP though and they should tell you.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #16
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
I think it's usually 4x4 ok without chains but I just heard on the news that chains are required except 4x4 with SNOW tires. I don't think the factory tires qualify as snow tires.
You can call the CHP though and they should tell you.

As long as the tires have M+S on the side your good.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...tml#allweather
Old 02-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #18
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
buy some damn chains and you'll have them when you need them. Some short bungy cords are hand when you chain up
Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
I just picked some up to avoid any headaches.

Walmart $59.97, a little pricey but im sure it would be double if I bought over there. Figured walmart's return policy is good in case I dont use them.

My tire size is 245/75/16.

Just looked at receipt they were actually $69.97
Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #20
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just picked some up to avoid any headaches.

Walmart $59.97, a little pricey but im sure it would be double if I bought over there. Figured walmart's return policy is good in case I dont use them.

My tire size is 245/75/16.
There is the proof: we've got some smart guys here after all.
Wise choice.
Take care
vbibi