Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

So, tell me...

Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
So, tell me...

about the bay area! Got my PCS orders and will be in the east bay area for the next couple of years.

Looking forward to hanging out with some of the NorCal fellers!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
welcome. I dont really know what to tell you about it but its not bad.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I have family that live in the San Jose area.

I'm thinking of trying to find a place in Pleasanton. Just looking for a nice safe place for me, the family and the rigs
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Bay area is a midpoint for everything! Beach to the left, sand to the south, snow to the right, and camping and redwoods to the north!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the Bay itself is a mecca of sailing, windsurfing, and kiteboarding all through the summer months when there's a consistent cold strong daily sea breeze starting (roughly) around 11 AM.

Our closest off-roading is Hollister Hills SVRA about an hour south of San Jose, more like (roughly) two hours south of Oakland or Alameda. It's not a huge park, but there are more trails than you can cover in one day. There are tons of forest service logging roads and trails in the Sierras, two to four hours away depending on where you go.

If you like being outdoors, one "sleeper" activity is taking the ferry to angel island and hiking around it and/or up to the peak. Dress warm.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
if youre looking pleasenton, you may want to consider tracy for a lower cost of living ..... keep in mind though lots of people do this and 580 is a parking lot westbound in mornins and eastbound evenings

but yea the sierras kick ass and most of the good outdoor shit is north or east.

edit: see youre coast guard ... wheres your base? I cant think pleasenton would be close to it
Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97T View Post
if youre looking pleasenton, you may want to consider tracy for a lower cost of living ..... keep in mind though lots of people do this and 580 is a parking lot westbound in mornins and eastbound evenings

but yea the sierras kick ass and most of the good outdoor shit is north or east.

edit: see youre coast guard ... wheres your base? I cant think pleasenton would be close to it
CG Island. Between Oakland and Alameda
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Alameda proper isn't a bad place. Folks who've lived there told me they liked it. Definitely a more "urban" feel though. If you want the "burbs" you're on the right track to think Pleasanton.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

97T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
CG Island. Between Oakland and Alameda
got it ... yea nearest communites to there that arent shitholes, super expensive, or reqire a toll bridge would be pleasenton or walnut creek
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
TRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDMEDIC's Tacoma Gallery
Off topic but....are you enlisted or reservist? Thinking of becoming a reserve.

San Francisco is cool. Lots of restaurant and night life. I would stay away from Oakland!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
Resident T100 guy

97T's Tacoma Gallery
yeah san francisco is cool .... if you dont like cool shit like a yard or a driveway to park in
Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #12
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMEDIC View Post
Off topic but....are you enlisted or reservist? Thinking of becoming a reserve.

San Francisco is cool. Lots of restaurant and night life. I would stay away from Oakland!
Enlisted, going on 14 years
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
I should have joined the damn CG... you get all the best duty stations
Old 03-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
I just left from there. Alameda is nice, pleasonton is nice, walnut creek is nice. Oakland is bad, Stay on the Oakland side of the Bay Bridge. You don't want to pay a toll every day. If you find a place near a BART station the coast guard will reimburse you, so your commute will be free. Stay away from CG Housing, it's shitty. Housing at the other bases are nice though.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I actually work in North Oakland and my GF works off Hegenberger, so really close to Alameda. We live in Union City which is a short 15-20 miles south. It definitely feels suburban here, but it's safe (especially comparing to Oakland).

Pleasanton/Dublin is a really nice area to look at, but like 97T said, a bunch of people commute from that area and beyond 580 (Tracy, Mountain House, etc), making traffic really congested at times. But overall, 880 in general is a horrible freeway. I once read an article saying that 880 is the most unpredictable freeway in all of Northern CA. You just never know when there will be traffic. So getting to the Oakland/Alemeda area can get hairy sometimes.

Also, BART is really convenient (I take it most days of the week), however your closest station would probably be Fruitvale, and you'd have to look for bus routes or shuttle that can take you to CG island.

But honestly, the Bay Area is quite unique. Like others have said it's the center of a whole of different things: beach, snow, mountains, camping etc. Whatever your interests are, I'm sure you can find something in the imediate area that you'd enjoy.

Oh and, thank you for your service
Old 03-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I just moved from Oakland it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is. the parking sucks and the houses are way over priced but if your near lake Merritt it's beautiful in that area and the BART is not that far away.

I just moved to El Sobrante and love it it's out of the city area but it's still a short 7 min drive to the BART stationthat i ride everyday into the City for work. It's also a 5min drive to hiking and fishing and hunting well the hunting part you need to know someone.

37.978656,-122.293339

Also Pleasanton is pretty far if your driving every morning one mile in the bay traffic is not the same as one mile in other places in the country and BART don't go to Alameda
Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Oakland has some of the best neighborhoods in the bay area..(some of the worst too).

pleasanton will be quite the haul to and fro to Alameda. if you have kids, the best area for schools will be up the hwy 24 corridor, in layfayette or neighboring hoods.

welcome to the area. you defiinately want to stay on your jobside of the bay bridge. trust me.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Concord, about a 30-45 minute drive away from SF but the BAy in general is awesome. Like 707Bro said we've got it all around us. Only thing I'd say is stay away from the tenderloin in SF ha. The Bay is proper though, you'll enjoy it.