Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

TW NorCal Spring Snow Run "Wheelin"

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #21
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
Ice House Rd at Hwy 50 is about 1K feet lower (Ice House Rsvr is higher than Kyburz). Kyburz is around 4K, and Big Hill Lookout (right across the street from the turn up at Ice House Reservoir (not at Hwy 50) is around 6K feet. This is from Big Hill Lookout (they plow Ice House and this road in the winter as they have time).
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...20101212_1.jpg

But there are plenty of paved roads that are open and will be covered in snow. MET (Mormon Emigrant Trail) out of Pollock Pines (I was able to go up further than expected a couple of weeks ago...before we just got another 3 1/2 feet in the last week). There's also some paved roads that will be covered in snow on the way up to Ice House Reservoir. I just don't think you'll find any of the dirt roads with the gates open until at least May (I saw the report too). There's also Omo Ranch Road (comes in at 5K on Hwy 88).

Here's a list of the EDNF roads and their current status:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/conditions/roads/

Easter weekend may be out (wife's birthday is on Easter this year too), but I might be willing to go if it's the earlier date...as long as you guys don't mind pulling us "lower clearance" off of the snow. Can't go too far on stock-size tires because we bottom out fairly quickly.
Thanks for the info it sucks that the dirt roads are still going to be closed. Well we can always venture up Ice House road hitting the snow covered paved roads and just hope we see a gate open to a dirt road I'm up for anything.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
The weekend after would probably be better so it's not Easter weekend.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
The weekend after would probably be better so it's not Easter weekend.

Well If we do that we might as well do May 1st then the dirt roads might be open and we can go higher up the hill to get to the snow. Like i said I'm up for anything going later to be able to hit the dirt sounds good to me.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #24
younglexx is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
younglexx's Tacoma Gallery
would i be able to make it with highway tires or i need a/t i have a stock offroad 4x4 btw.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #25
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
^ Good question. I figure that's what tow ropes are for. Or maybe I'll be chaining up for the first time? I have AT tires, but I think they're crap on the icy/slushy deep stuff (trust me, I know since that's what our roads are like when we get feet dumped on us and the plows don't come through for days). Next time, Duratracs here I come.

I would shoot for May 1. I can keep you updated on the snow. We will be getting more snow, so you might as well expect it. It always snows up here after the dogwoods bloom, and they haven't bloomed yet. Last year, we got 3 storms in May (one each week) that dumped 5 inches onto the roads each time. We've gotten 14 1/2 feet this season in Pollock (5 feet is normal). That's the most in at least 30 years. Right now, you wouldn't be able to get past the snow berms as they're 6 feet high in some places.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #26
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglexx View Post
would i be able to make it with highway tires or i need a/t i have a stock offroad 4x4 btw.

I really depends on where we go.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
I'm down and will chip in for gas if someone wants to give me a ride.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #28
younglexx is on a distinguished road

Name: Alex
younglexx's Tacoma Gallery
ok thanks for the info
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post

You can ride with me
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #30
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post

i can take you
Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #32
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
So what does everyone think about May 1st?
Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #33
TW's BAD MF'er Squad

EMS:
works
Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #34
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
I'm good with May 1st.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #35
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
May 1st works best for me. I work the 16 and 23.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #36
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Okay so the majority says May 1st I'm good with that I'm changing the OP
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM   #38
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by especk View Post
May 1st will work for me

Cool updated May 1st is now the date. I'm going to be playing it by ear on location and meeting spots we have to see how the weather plays out before we can pick a route to take.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #39
TRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDMEDIC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I should be moved down by then so as long as I'm not totally drained on cash from the move or too busy with work, I'm down
Im goin to have to work with you to do my rear bumper once you are down here!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #40
tb99trd is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
tb99trd's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like something I'd be into. i'm in south lake tahoe at 6300 ft and there are fucking shit tons of snow. haven't been down in elevation in months tho so no idea what its like down there. website says ice house normally doesn't open until Memorial Day and this year is way snowier than most, sooo...

Products Discussed in this Thread