Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Fremont- Ham Cram Session June 4th 8am-5pm

Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Fremont- Ham Cram Session June 4th 8am-5pm

Ok folks, I'm trying to promote more of us to get our ham licenses. So, thought i would pass on some information on what is called a Ham Cram Session. This is an 8 hour session with breaks. They give you all the study materials and direction. This not a class per-se but more of a guided study session. at the end they administer the exam. this is a pretty easy way to get your license. The fee is $30, this includes the exam fees.

I will see if i can find one in the Sac area for Sac people.

http://baears.com/index.php?option=c...inar&Itemid=59
Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I would so do this if I didn't have my good friend's baby shower that day. Bummer
Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
So this is a study session and then they give you the test to get your license?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
I have been a ham for 35 years, hold an extra class K8IZ for the last 10 or so. If you have any question don't be afraid to ask, I'll see if I can assist.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_wood View Post
So this is a study session and then they give you the test to get your license?
Yup... just show up. they give you study materials and guide you. at the end of the day you take the test. if you pass you get a license. the tech test is pretty easy - so unless you're totally uncommitted then you should easily pass. if you show up i figure you're committed enough and should have no problem at all.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
Yup... just show up. they give you study materials and guide you. at the end of the day you take the test. if you pass you get a license. the tech test is pretty easy - so unless you're totally uncommitted then you should easily pass. if you show up i figure you're committed enough and should have no problem at all.
Awesome! I'll definitely make it out. Thanks for posting this Seth.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
TRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDMEDIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRDMEDIC's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the heads up. Ill try and make this unless there is one closer to Sac
Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMEDIC View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Ill try and make this unless there is one closer to Sac
There was one a couple weeks ago in Sac... do not currently see any scheduled. i will keep looking.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Damn I would so do this if I didn't have my good friend's baby shower that day. Bummer
You don't really need the cram session. It's just a convenient way to make sure you block out enough undistracted time. The cram sessions just provide sample tests, and a couple knowledgeable people you can ask questions of.

Use this guide: http://kb6nu.com/2007GeneralStudyGuide.pdf

And these (free) practice tests: http://www.qrz.com/exams

And block out about two hours per evening for about a week. Allow a little more time if you've never studied basic electricity at all, E=IR is not something you've ever heard, and you've never ever seen a schematic. But the simple questions they ask related to those things can also be simply memorized.

Just remember:

"When a modulating audio signal is applied to an FM transmitter,
the carrier frequency changes proportionally to the instantaneous amplitude
of the modulating signal."

Which reminds me of a funny story. Since I've gotten my license, I enjoy "rag chewing" away the morning and evening commute hours on one of our local 2m repeaters. (K6LRG, above Sunol) Anyhow, I was in a phone conference meeting recently, with everyone on my team and a new director (big boss) in the room, and with my first-line boss phoned in using Skype using a voice headset.

His signal was coming in loud and distorted. So when he asked "can you guys hear me OK?" having been on my mobile HAM unit during the commute hours a lot, I naturally told him: "You're over-modulating. Try moving the microphone further from your mouth." That worked, but the new director and everyone in the room looked at me like I was from outer space.

Anyhow, the "modulating signal" is just a fancy name for the input signal, i.e. your voice as picked up through the microphone. And if it's louder or softer, its amplitude (height of the sine wave) is increased or decreased.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
You don't really need the cram session. It's just a convenient way to make sure you block out enough undistracted time. The cram sessions just provide sample tests, and a couple knowledgeable people you can ask questions of.

Use this guide: http://kb6nu.com/2007GeneralStudyGuide.pdf

And these (free) practice tests: http://www.qrz.com/exams

And block out about two hours per evening for about a week. Allow a little more time if you've never studied basic electricity at all, E=IR is not something you've ever heard, and you've never ever seen a schematic. But the simple questions they ask related to those things can also be simply memorized.

Just remember:

"When a modulating audio signal is applied to an FM transmitter,
the carrier frequency changes proportionally to the instantaneous amplitude
of the modulating signal."

Which reminds me of a funny story. Since I've gotten my license, I enjoy "rag chewing" away the morning and evening commute hours on one of our local 2m repeaters. (K6LRG, above Sunol) Anyhow, I was in a phone conference meeting recently, with everyone on my team and a new director (big boss) in the room, and with my first-line boss phoned in using Skype using a voice headset.

His signal was coming in loud and distorted. So when he asked "can you guys hear me OK?" having been on my mobile HAM unit during the commute hours a lot, I naturally told him: "You're over-modulating. Try moving the microphone further from your mouth." That worked, but the new director and everyone in the room looked at me like I was from outer space.

Anyhow, the "modulating signal" is just a fancy name for the input signal, i.e. your voice as picked up through the microphone. And if it's louder or softer, its amplitude (height of the sine wave) is increased or decreased.

That study guide is for the general class license and is from 2007. the question pools have changed since them. I suggest www.hamtestonline.com if you dont mind paying a few bucks. it is always up to date and makes it super easy to study on your own time.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
That study guide is for the general class license and is from 2007. the question pools have changed since them. I suggest www.hamtestonline.com if you dont mind paying a few bucks. it is always up to date and makes it super easy to study on your own time.
Doh! Wrong link, sorry. This one, by the same guy, IS up to date and is for the technician. I used it when I passed tech last November.

http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uplo...tudy_Guide.pdf
Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #12
Screw your MPG's

If I am able to be a late attendee then I will still do this, but if I can't then I'm out. I'll be flying in from down south for work that day and won't be in town until 8:30. I just e-mailed them asking if it was possible.

Seth do you happen to know if it's alright if I'm a late attendee?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #13
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_wood View Post
If I am able to be a late attendee then I will still do this, but if I can't then I'm out. I'll be flying in from down south for work that day and won't be in town until 8:30. I just e-mailed them asking if it was possible.

Seth do you happen to know if it's alright if I'm a late attendee?
Well then that gives you enough time to make it up the hill to go wheelin with us if you can't show up late.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Mr SGA
MrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrFastLayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Layne
MrFastLayne's Tacoma Gallery
Seth let me know if you see one in Sac. Thanks!