1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Moving to Folsom

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by bamma, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    bamma

bamma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Current: 2011 Land Cruiser
    I'm moving from DC to Folsom next week. I've secured temporary housing while I look for a home.

Does anyone recommend cities or neighborhoods in the area?

Thanks!

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
  3. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    stay away from del paso heights and north highlands...folsom is a good choice. roseville, some parts of citrus heights and antelope arent bad.

4. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    2011TacoSport4x4

2011TacoSport4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clyde
    Offutt AFB, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4 OME 3" lift
    OME 3" lift, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N Intake, bestop, ARB Locker, 4:56 gears, ARB Deluxe bumper, Warn 8000lb winch, Synthetic line, Rock sliders, exhaust relocation done, All Pro standard 3" leaf packs, Timbren Bump stops, Extended brake lines, Pioneer dual din DVD, Pioneer door speakers, Ultra Gauge, BAMF Lower LCA Skids.
    rocklin is a nice place, not too far from folsom. eldorado hills is closer and is very nice...both are NOTHING like DC. Oh how I miss California!

5. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    did you shoot a man in reno just to watch him die?

6. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

:laughing:

7. Apr 29, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Yerp. Don't forget Fair Oaks. That would probably be one of my first choices if I didn't live near downtown. I wouldn't advise Rancho Cordova, either. Areas near the large deactivated AFBs (McCleallan, Mather) just aren't very nice.

Are you planning on buying a house? You should if you can and plan to stay awhile. Prices out here are historically down right now, and you can get a helluva deal, especially on newer/tract homes that were built in the last few years in the suburban areas, like Folsome, EDH, Rocklin, etc. Older places in established neighborhoods have generally retained more value.

8. Apr 29, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    david55838

david55838 Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4
    West Sacramento has some newer tract developments as well, and is crazy close to downtown, as well as quick access to all freeways going in every direction. Depends on what you're looking for, and of course, your budget.

Good luck - no more snow for you!! :D

9. Apr 29, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Welcome to the West coast "Best coast" first thing it where are you going to be working at? That can really play a factor in where you get a house.

Also i see you have a 4x4 do you wheel? if you don't you will really soon we have some of the best OHV trails in the country.

:proposetoast: Welcome to California

10. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    And if you need a realtor in Folsom, let me know. One of my wife's long-time friend's husband owns his own realty company there and has been the top seller for like the last 20 years or so.

11. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    bamma

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I haven't been looking at Fair Oaks or Roseville. Guess I'll have to see what's available. I'll be working at a law firm in Folsom, so I'd like to be fairly close to the city. I definitely want to buy a house, as the prices really are great right now, especially after dealing with the high prices in DC.

I had a realtor show me around a bit when I was in town a few weeks ago, but we didn't get outside Folsom/El Dorado Hills, and I was just wondering what areas are nice.

I grew up in Utah, so it will be nice to get back out west. Having a 4x4 has been a waste in DC. Not a lot of places to go off-roading...

12. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Well, if you want to be in the rural foothills, there really isn't a bad area when you head up the hill on Hwy 50. So many assume you want to live in an area where your neighbors can hear you sneeze and say "Bless You" from next door (been there, done that...literally!). Point us in the type of living you want to be in, and we'll give you more specific answers.

And bamma, if you need a mortgage person to work with that's probably the best around, here's a link:
    http://summitfunding.net/EmployeeDetail.aspx?EmployeeID=2132
    She keeps everything running so smoothly by keeping all the realtors and title company people in the loop, that the realtor we used decided to hook up with her too. Our title company up in Placerville had never worked with her before and they were just flat out impressed. Everyone involved raved about how smoothly everything went because of her.

13. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    bamma

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again everyone.

My plan is to buy a home. Hopefully with 3-4 bedrooms on .15-.25 acres. Don't have kids yet, but good schools would be nice. And I'd like to be fairly close to my office in Folsom.

14. May 3, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

To get that much land if Folsom you will need to look at older houses. They started cramming houses in little lots in the mid 90's. I personalty like the older neighborhoods in Folsom the new ones look all the same.

15. May 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Just remember, every community has its nice parts and bad areas. I live in Rancho Cordova and enjoy the quality of life very much. For buying a home near Folsom, check out Orangevale, Fair Oaks, Rancho Cordova, maybe Citrus Heights and Carmichael. Right now you can get nice homes in decent areas for pretty cheap in these areas. Just do your homework and scout the community for schools, parks and other features you need, and you will do fine. Folsom itself is a great community but tends to be pricey. The drivers out here are inconsiderate selfish assholes so be ready for that. Oh you're coming from DC, nevermind. :) Good luck, and welcome to the Golden State.

P.S. Be sure to check out Denio's Roseville Farmer's Market, it will blow your mind.

16. May 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    Dirty5Thirty

Dirty5Thirty TW's BAD MF'er Squad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    I live in Folsom itself. If you're looking for decent house in Folsom, depends if you want newer or older. Briggs Ranch is an older house development that has good sized houses, and isn't over in the main part of town. Empire Ranch is the newest housing development in town, and is the area where they have HOA's and all the houses start to look the same. Broadstone is a good little neighborhood kinda off the normal path.

Send me a PM when you get to Folsom?

17. May 3, 2011 at 8:45 PM
    bamma

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Has anyone lived in Cameron Park? Any pros/cons?

Dirty-I'll send you a PM when I get out there. It should be late next week. I have a long ass drive coming up. I actually looked at a home in The Briggs Ranch area. I liked it a lot but the home I looked at had a shake roof that needed replacement+a lot of other work. If I could find a home there in better condition I'd jump on it.

18. May 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    BORN AND RAISED IN NORTH HIGHLANDS:cool:.......I bought a house in citrus heights a few years ago its not too bad the house prices are dirt cheap right now. cameron park is nice but kinda in the boonies i would recomend roseville, fair oaks ,rocklin or folsom those are some pretty nice areas

19. May 3, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    When you hear that whistle blowing, you'll hang your head and cry....

20. May 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    dont you live in auburn:confused:

Products Discussed in

To Top