Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

North Bay folks: Help with camping

Old 05-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
North Bay folks: Help with camping

Hey North bay guys, I'm planning a camping trip with my family and I need help. I've searched for hours on reserveamerica.com and recreaction.gov but can't find the type of sites we need. So I'm wondering if you guys know of any private-owned campsites that don't book through those main sites, please let me know.

Things we are looking for:

family friendly (w/ kids)
showers
swimming
tent camping
July 15-17
Nothing more north of Mendocino

Thanks
Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
There are a couple of KOA Campgrounds. One in Point(less) Arena and another at Manchester Beach. They generally have all that you seek.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hmmm.. KOA might be a little too fake for us. Anything else?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
ToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
ToyotaChick's Tacoma Gallery
Lake Pillsbury Resort and Marina! I know its a little north of mendo but well worth it! Bathrooms, showers, quiet lake, tons of campsites to choose from, friendly people, safe, clean, Pretty much the perfect place, and it's absolutely gorgeous.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Well, there's always the state parks along the cost but none have swimming pools. Most are family friendly and have tent camping and showers--although the showers often leave something to be desired.

My two favorite campgrounds are Russian Gulch State Park and Manchester State Beach. Van Damme State Parks is also very nice.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaChick View Post
Lake Pillsbury Resort and Marina! I know its a little north of mendo but well worth it! Bathrooms, showers, quiet lake, tons of campsites to choose from, friendly people, safe, clean, Pretty much the perfect place, and it's absolutely gorgeous.
oh nice I'll check out Pilsbury.

What do you guys know of Kyen campground in Mendocino?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Well, there's always the state parks along the cost but none have swimming pools. Most are family friendly and have tent camping and showers--although the showers often leave something to be desired.

My two favorite campgrounds are Russian Gulch State Park and Manchester State Beach. Van Damme State Parks is also very nice.
None of those are available on the dates we need them on
Old 05-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #8

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
The sad thing is with so many parks slated for closure, anything after the first of July is going to be difficult. I'm hoping the Fed's statement that because the State Park system took federal money, it must remain open.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #9
n00b

I ended up booking at Kyen campground at Lake Mendocino in Ukiah. But if I hear of any better places, then I can always rebook.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
AndrewTacoma is on a distinguished road

Army: Field Artillery Detachment Division
Name: Andrew
AndrewTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I ended up booking at Kyen campground at Lake Mendocino in Ukiah. But if I hear of any better places, then I can always rebook.
THere is a lake up by marysville.
Its called Lake Collins.
Very family oriented, has a swimming area and the place is a private lake.
there are camping fires
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #11

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Post up a link to the place
Old 06-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
AndrewTacoma is on a distinguished road

Army: Field Artillery Detachment Division
Name: Andrew
AndrewTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTacoma View Post
THere is a lake up by marysville.
Its called Lake Collins.
Very family oriented, has a swimming area and the place is a private lake.
there are camping fires

collinslake.com

here is the site address
Old 06-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
mjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjohn617 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: National Strike Force
mjohn617's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
The sad thing is with so many parks slated for closure, anything after the first of July is going to be difficult. I'm hoping the Fed's statement that because the State Park system took federal money, it must remain open.
That has been a big problem for me in the last 6 month's, I have come across many gates that normally have been open by land management and now are closed. I have done some wheeling up towards Gualala River, and floating the river/camping....I am seeing more and more signs for public and private.

I am not a fan of staying in a campsite, but I was forced to on the last trip...good thing is that there were next to no one around.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #14

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. There are a couple of reasons you're seeing more closed gates. The biggest one is probably the new concept of "Travel Management" plans that the Forest Service is putting in place. The BLM is also arguing for more wilderness designations as well. Both of these ideas result in fewer acres of accessible land. In the case of the Travel Management, many 4x4 clubs endorse them although I'm not 100% sure why--by that, I mean more and more people are concentrated in smaller areas. Not just 4x4's but motorcycles and ATV's as well.

The Gualala is awesome to hang out on a summer day. You often see people heading farther up the river on hot days. Lot's of FS land up there that's been closed as well.

I've been active in the OHV issues and focused on some of the stuff down in the South Bay although I pay attention to the state and national levels as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn617 View Post
That has been a big problem for me in the last 6 month's, I have come across many gates that normally have been open by land management and now are closed. I have done some wheeling up towards Gualala River, and floating the river/camping....I am seeing more and more signs for public and private.

I am not a fan of staying in a campsite, but I was forced to on the last trip...good thing is that there were next to no one around.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
Cheese Head.
TheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheGrinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
TheGrinch's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TheGrinch
good call on the lake mendo one, def fam friendly, and pilsbury is a very good one as well. and if u did want to travel few more hours, burney falls..
Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #16
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
Hit up Hendy Woods State Park. Its it Philo, California, which is in the Anderson Valley. Just north of Boonville. Bout 3 hrs north of the city, and has the best camping (my biased opinion) for families anywhere in the area. There is the Navarro river nearby for swimming, plenty of beautiful hikes and walks through the redwoods. A tame 4x4 trail that will take you to the coast. (Navarro Ridge Road) And, when you're done camping, hit up the Anderson Valley Brewing Company's brewery and tasting room in Boonville. Best beer EVER (also my biased opinion) Place fills up quick in the summer, but sometimes sites are available last minute.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #17
DCtaco05 will become famous soon enough

Name: dustin
DCtaco05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaChick View Post
hell ya! lol im going there this coming weekend with some people. three of them from tw and a few others. Going to do some camping, wheeling, shooting and drinking of corse cant wait!