Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Santa Cruz mountains Los Gatos thread

Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
CheapGrandJerokee is on a distinguished road

CheapGrandJerokee's Tacoma Gallery
Santa Cruz mountains Los Gatos thread

i was just wondering how many people are around here. and where some open free trails would be?

also if you could include pictures they only help!

im looking for a place to drive up and EXPLORE similar to mt umunhum (nick named the ALBINO farm), and to get a pretty nice view

thanks to all in advance,
a lonely jeep among Tacomas
Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
I think most of those access roads are not for public use, either private owned or state park property. I wouldn't think of poaching them either, not that you would, since I'm sure the penalties are serious
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ROB
MartyMcfly's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking for the same thing, but something my pre-runner can handle, like some fire roads.

I know there's gotta be a ton of fire roads in the Santa Cruz mountains. Maybe if someone knows a firefighter, we could get some better access.

Here's a link that has some roads listed:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168958

The only one I've been on is Buzzard Lagoon and that was in my Evo
Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, Marty McFly. That's so funny. I haven't heard or seen Back to the Future in like 20+ years, then just yesterday it was on TV and then there's your avatar name. What a coincidence.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Time Traveler
MartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMartyMcfly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Oh, Marty McFly. That's so funny. I haven't heard or seen Back to the Future in like 20+ years, then just yesterday it was on TV and then there's your avatar name. What a coincidence.
It's a great movie. I've liked toyota trucks ever since I saw the one from that movie.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
I know there's gotta be a ton of fire roads in the Santa Cruz mountains. Maybe if someone knows a firefighter, we could get some better access.
There is at least one way to go from San Jose to Santa Cruz on dirt. However, a number of the connectors are questionable. Arguably, you can make the case they're open but that doesn't stop the crazy property owner. As far as exploring goes, unless you know someone, that could be interesting
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #7

Quote:
It's a great movie. I've liked toyota trucks ever since I saw the one from that movie.
So true those retro toyota trucks are the best!

And I'm trying to make a trip up there in sc this week maybe if some of you guys are down?

But remember I'm a jeep.. Please don't discriminate..
Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
There is at least one way to go from San Jose to Santa Cruz on dirt. However, a number of the connectors are questionable. Arguably, you can make the case they're open but that doesn't stop the crazy property owner. As far as exploring goes, unless you know someone, that could be interesting

Yeah, I've heard some stories from people who live deep in the SC mountains. Land owners tend to be very territorial of their property up there and they will not hesitate to shoot at you.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapGrandJerokee View Post
So true those retro toyota trucks are the best!

And I'm trying to make a trip up there in sc this week maybe if some of you guys are down?

But remember I'm a jeep.. Please don't discriminate..

I wouldn't be able to do it this week but definitely will have to take you up on that sometime for sure. If you do end up going, let me know what you find.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to do it this week but definitely will have to take you up on that sometime for sure. If you do end up going, let me know what you find.
Definitely hopefully I won't find any rangers like I have way too many times aha
Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #11

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldn't mind a little offroad locally, as long as it's 100% legal. anything questionable can get us in trouble quick, as in arresting folks or heavy monetary penalties. not to mention that it's just not cool to tread on someone's private property.

ah yes, that was a hilux in the movie, i think.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #12

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
i wouldn't mind a little offroad locally, as long as it's 100% legal. anything questionable can get us in trouble quick, as in arresting folks or heavy monetary penalties. not to mention that it's just not cool to tread on someone's private property.

ah yes, that was a hilux in the movie, i think.
I agree I'm only down if it's legal been caught on highly illegal territory twice and both times got lucky to only get warning tickets

Plus I'm not sure about any where else but here in the sierra azul/ Santa Cruz , the rangers are very scary and love to pull out the good ol six shooter
Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #13
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I've heard some stories from people who live deep in the SC mountains. Land owners tend to be very territorial of their property up there and they will not hesitate to shoot at you.
A while back, two or three guys strung a wire across a road and took out a guy on a motorcycle. The road was a public road and those guys thought it was "their" road.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #14

went up soda springs road up lexington reservoir today and found nothing but locked off fire roads which looked awesome!!! but again locked off.. so FireFIGHTERS you know who you are.. i want a key
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #15

pictures

[/IMG]
Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #16

Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapGrandJerokee View Post
[/IMG]

Thanks for reporting. I figured there'd be a lot of inaccessible fire roads up there.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Thanks for reporting. I figured there'd be a lot of inaccessible fire roads up there.
Ya no problem it's just tough to find "open access" trails to go exPloring. Whatever I'll def update if I find something sane
Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Another Santa Cruz local here. I've been wondering about some places just to drive around at. I have talked to one guy who lives in Felton and he said he knows of places in the Santa Cruz mountains. He takes his early 80's truck up there.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #20

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
Another Santa Cruz local here. I've been wondering about some places just to drive around at. I have talked to one guy who lives in Felton and he said he knows of places in the Santa Cruz mountains. He takes his early 80's truck up there.
Would you happen to know a Jordan up in the mountains? .. Random sorry ... But you should def pm me if you find some spots or end up going