Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Any Easy Trails Near Truckee/Tahoe?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Any Easy Trails Near Truckee/Tahoe?

By easy I mean not requiring a lifted truck or armor. I just want to go somewhere easy where there's some nice views, maybe a lake, a place for some hiking.

Google is my friend. I found this one about Mount Watson trail. Sounds like it has exactly what I was looking for.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=33695

Anyone riding this trail?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I think that one's in our 4wd book. We tried it last year, but there was a locked gate closing it off. Supposedly it goes over to hwy 267 (unlike what shows on the link) so maybe that end is still open? I'd sure like to know.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4892 View Post
I haven't been there in a few years but there are a few around nearby Donner lake that have great views and go to smaller lakes.
Yeah, hopefully it's open. I'd hate to go that far only to find a closed gate.

Hey, ag.

You're avatar is cool!!! That's Toshiro Mifune from Yojimbo! One of the 'ol classic samurai cut 'em ups. He was one cool dude on screen and the epitomy of the samurai aura. I actually met him in person back in 1985.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
If you go, this link has directions from Hwy 267 (since I know the end at Tahoe City is locked by a gate now). Since there's camping up there, I'm sure the Hwy 267 end is open (and the author of the link went just last year...same time when the other end was locked).
http://www.tahoeloco.com/archives/2938
Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Is 20 to 25 min fromTruckee close? If so we are doing a Taco run on Hunter Lake Trail on Aug 6th.You are welcome to join us. We have 12 TW members going (10 4x4s & 2PreRunners). I知 not familiar with this trail but it痴 not supposed to be hard.One of the members going did it last weekend and this is what he had to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
Ok guys just wanted to update the thread on the status of HLT as there has been lots of talk locally.

This last weekend a group of 30 Local 4x4 guys including myself ran HLT in its entirety. Due to the amazing amount of snow we received, several people were saying that this trail is no longer a "stocker" friendly trail. So here is my 2 cents.

I have a moderatly well equiped 4x4 and had no issues on this trail. I aired down my tires and remained in 2x4 the entire trail. At no point did I need to use 4x4. There are several areas on the Caughlin side that could be "challenging" for those who are looking to "play". In a couple spots we had a guy roll over but only because he was attempting to "play" in an extremely hard part far from the trail it self.

Once you get past the top area, there are a few spots that you may need spotting if your running a stock truck. One of the people with us had a stock jeep with no lift or anything and he did ok with some spotting. No one had any trail damage but there are a few area's that have low overhanging branches that will touch your truck.

Coming down the caughlin side there are some rocks that will need negotiation and with the correct lines it shouldnt be an issue for a tacoma.

Things I would highly recommend bringing (group consensus) are going to be lots of water. Its bone dry up at the "lake" so do excpect any water for dogs or your self. Also there were a god awful amount of mosquitos so bug spray is a must!!!

I would also recommend that those of you who dont have spare tires consider them. And as usual the normal recovery kit is required.

There are a few area's that if you get stuck, due to the tight nature of the trail, having proper recovery points is key. On this run we did not a single person was stuck or gained any damage that wasnt trying to get stuck or mess around. The 2 people that did get damage were off trail, doing stupid things.

Here is a link to the Local 4x4 report. Has great pics and video.

http://www.reno4x4.com/forum/showthread.php/52339-Hunter-Lake-trip-report...7-24-11

We are going to meet up intown at Relentless Fabrications @ 9AM and head up to Verdi. I知 guessing we値lbe there between 9:15 & 9:45. Not sure where we could meet you Josh(sierrahsky) would know.

Thread link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...trail-run.html
Come play with us!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
I don't remember what the road was called at all, but it was right off of 267 and was a very easy and fun drive that I just did last weekend. It was basically just a fire service road, was mostly paved and had some great views!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
Is 20 to 25 min fromTruckee close? If so we are doing a Taco run on Hunter Lake Trail on Aug 6th.You are welcome to join us. We have 12 TW members going (10 4x4s & 2PreRunners). I知 not familiar with this trail but it痴 not supposed to be hard.One of the members going did it last weekend and this is what he had to say.

We are going to meet up intown at Relentless Fabrications @ 9AM and head up to Verdi. I知 guessing we値lbe there between 9:15 & 9:45. Not sure where we could meet you Josh(sierrahsky) would know.

Thread link http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...trail-run.html
Come play with us!
I'm coming. What is the address for the meeting place?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuapOh View Post
I'm coming. What is the address for the meeting place?
1533 Greg St in Sparks
Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
GuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really niceGuapOh is just really nice
GuapOh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
1533 Greg St in Sparks
See you 'bout 9.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Yeah, hopefully it's open. I'd hate to go that far only to find a closed gate.

Hey, ag.

You're avatar is cool!!! That's Toshiro Mifune from Yojimbo! One of the 'ol classic samurai cut 'em ups. He was one cool dude on screen and the epitomy of the samurai aura. I actually met him in person back in 1985.
Yes one of my heros, wish I could have met him. I have all of his Samurai movies and a couple of others, he was the best.

If anyone hasnt seen them rent the seven samurai or yojimbo.

and i was just up near Donner, all snowed-in, still
Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #12

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah those the top samurai movies. Kurosawa was a master!

Still snow. Amazing this late as summers winding down
Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Mt Watson is open. Views are awesome too. Pretty straight forward and reasonable. Mt. Ellis is a littler harder to get to but you can see both ends of the lake from there...oh, you'll be heading up from McKinney-Rubicon and it's slow going. 4L and tight.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
There is a OHV park above Elk Point before Zephyr Cove, you can see South Lake from the peak up there:

Scott's Lake off the 88 before Kirkwood:

Old 08-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
Tacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma831 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacoma831's Tacoma Gallery
I ran some fireroad/trails near Prosser Dam in Truckee and it was pretty fun. You can drive right up to the lake...I almost got stuck in it
Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #16
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to explore a little bit, you can find a bunch of stuff here.

The guy has written other trail guides for the desert and also for the coastal areas.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #17
Byways is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
Byways's Tacoma Gallery
I am late indeed to this forum! Many apologies ...

I can't give you late reports on conditions, but here are some Tahoe-area routes you can take in a stock Tacoma, 4Runner (which I drive), etc. This is typically a terrific time of year in the Sierra:

Genoa Peak Road (14N32) and nearby Logan House Road (14N33), between US 50 and Daggett Pass on SR 207

Barker Pass Loop (via roads 3, 15N38, 3013), between Idlewild and Tahoma

Mt. Watson, already discussed

Martis Peak ... crudely paved a few years ago, but we can hope that it didn't stick

Also in the northern Sierra, don't overlook Henness Pass Road.

Enjoy!

Tony Huegel, author
Sierra Nevada Byways
Old 09-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #18

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Tony! Thanks for chiming in here.

For those that don't know, Tony's the guy who writes all of those great "Byways" books and has been an enormous help on several very adventurous trips over on www.advrider.com.

Worth checking his books out. Especially if you're looking for some short 4x4 routes through cool places.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortlie09 View Post
I don't remember what the road was called at all, but it was right off of 267 and was a very easy and fun drive that I just did last weekend. It was basically just a fire service road, was mostly paved and had some great views!

Hey! What are you doing in my truck?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #20
Byways is on a distinguished road

Name: Tony
Byways's Tacoma Gallery
Thrilled to be here! Wish I'd joined the party sooner, but I'm looking forward to the value this site brings to Toyota ownership. (I have two 4Runners, but my daughter is yearning for a Tacoma to fit the adventurous lifestyle in which she was raised).
Attached Thumbnails
Any Easy Trails Near Truckee/Tahoe?-4runnersmall.jpg