Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

New Santa Cruz Taco

Old 09-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #41
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlagger View Post
So the truck is a daily driver. My wife's parents have a house in Tahoe and we do a weekend up there about once a month. I know there are some good trails up there and would like to jump on those.

I love Pismo, but only make it down there about once a year so far. Previously it was always with quads. Would be fun to do some driving down there, but really I think mud, trails, and exploration are going to be the main focus.

That being said, the truck is new and I won't be doing anything too crazy

Rich

By the way thanks for the help figuring this stuff out. This is my first Tacoma and I want to do it right.
Based on that, I would say get coilovers that are rebuildable as opposed to the Toytec's. Toytec's use a Bilstein 5100 shock. Once they are blown, time for new shocks. King, Fox, and Icon all make OEM replacement coilovers that are rebuildable and revalvable. Unless you plan on hitting dunes for long periods of time, then there's no need for remote resevoirs. That would save you a couple hundred bucks.

Once you bring the coilovers up above 2.5" there's a chance of not being able to get alignment caster set into spec which is why a lot of people run aftermarket UCA's as well.

As for the rear, you'd probably be content with a standard AAL and Bilstein 5100's or 5150's.

As far as vendors, I'd sugguest you call Downsouth Motorsports. Talk to Marco and tell him you're a TW member and what you are looking for. He'll be able to help you out both with suggestions and products. TW members get an additional 5% discount. They are in CA so you pay sales tax, but it's free shipping on all thier shit. Wheelers Offroad is also a good vendor, out of state, that sells Icon's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
The reason why jberry knows so much about dropbracket lifts is he wanted to ditch his long travel setup for one. We all had to talk him out of it.
Riiiiiiiight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
New guy's house. Welcome to TW!
Hope you have tools!

I'm thinking about throwing one here in the near future if there's a need.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #42
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If you're not opposed to used stuff, pretty good deal here. I'm sure you could make him a great offer on everything:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...her-stuff.html
Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #43
Flip Dog is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Flip Dog's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from SC. Did I miss some photos of your truck? Or did you not post any yet? Cant introduce yourself without some pictures.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #44
Zlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant future

Name: Rich
Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
If you're not opposed to used stuff, pretty good deal here. I'm sure you could make him a great offer on everything:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...her-stuff.html
Thanks for the tips and heads up on the used parts, sent a PM. I would sooo need help putting these bad boys in though.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #45
Zlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant futureZlagger has a brilliant future

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip Dog View Post
Welcome from SC. Did I miss some photos of your truck? Or did you not post any yet? Cant introduce yourself without some pictures.
Soon
Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #46
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Thanks for the tips and heads up on the used parts, sent a PM. I would sooo need help putting these bad boys in though.
No prob mang. I work for beer and good company.
Get you're suspension and let me know ETA and I'll set up a mod day at my place. There's another NorCal guy looking for a mod day too.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #47

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No prob mang. I work for beer and good company.
Get you're suspension and let me know ETA and I'll set up a mod day at my place. There's another NorCal guy looking for a mod day too.
Purchase complete

Shit man... You can ask for any beer you want!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #48

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Did the Fogs anytime splice mod, and removed factory mud flaps today. Also installed the Weathertech floormats.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 AM   #49

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, maybe I can make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
totally trollin right now but mud is no fun.. its a one and done kinda thing. but you should really caravan down to the jamboree on the 24th and 25th. meet tons of fellow TW members
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #50
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
see if any norcal guys are going and head down with them!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #51
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Rich,

I'll be going to Jamboree. I'll either be cutting out of work early or taking the whole day off on Friday. MartyMcfly lives up in your neighborhood. He's going too.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #52
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
I might be going as well. I'd either leave Friday and come back sat or just go for a day trip on sat.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #53

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Pismo Baby!!!

Quote:
Hey Rich,

I'll be going to Jamboree. I'll either be cutting out of work early or taking the whole day off on Friday. MartyMcfly lives up in your neighborhood. He's going too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
I might be going as well. I'd either leave Friday and come back sat or just go for a day trip on sat.
Quote:
Would be awesome, just need to run it by the wife... Anyone here know what is required? Permits, setup, costs, etc..

Also, I have a 2011 Yamaha Raptor 700. I wonder if I need some sort of sticker or registration for that thing...
Old 09-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #54
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Would be awesome, just need to run it by the wife... Anyone here know what is required? Permits, setup, costs, etc..

Also, I have a 2011 Yamaha Raptor 700. I wonder if I need some sort of sticker or registration for that thing...
what you will need... 2 whip flags (one on the quad one on your truck) 10 dollars a night for camping or 5 for a day pass. Rangers dont usually check stickers on your bikes, as long as you have a whip flag they dont bother you.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #55

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Pictures finally

Went to Old Coast RD today. For those of you that don't know that is near Big Sur off of HWY 1. It's a pretty easy trail that is about 10 miles long. Took the wife, baby, and parents from Colorado.
Attached Thumbnails
New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020325.jpg   New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020329.jpg   New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020334.jpg   New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020341.jpg   New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020343.jpg  

New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020345.jpg   New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020346.jpg   New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020354.jpg   New Santa Cruz Taco-p1020355.jpg  
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #56

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what you will need... 2 whip flags (one on the quad one on your truck) 10 dollars a night for camping or 5 for a day pass. Rangers dont usually check stickers on your bikes, as long as you have a whip flag they dont bother you.
How are you guys mounting the whip on the Tacoma?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #57
Quote:
How are you guys mounting the whip on the Tacoma?
i got you covered

Old 09-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #58
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Went to Old Coast RD today. For those of you that don't know that is near Big Sur off of HWY 1. It's a pretty easy trail that is about 10 miles long. Took the wife, baby, and parents from Colorado.
There's camping along that road too

Great photos and it looks like you had great weather too.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #59

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcfly View Post
Welcome to TW.
Hey man, your truck is nutz..

What part of SC do you live in? I'm in the Soquel hills.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #60

Zlagger's Tacoma Gallery
haha no shit, that IS easy
Quote:
i got you covered