Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Anybody hike or backpack?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #21
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be game for a long hike into desolation wilderness overnight. I'd have to rent the gear, but I've considered it before. Opportunity just never arose. I can see not getting into desolation until late summer again next year though. With another cool summer, I'm expecting another long, wet (heavy snow pack) winter. Already, our temps up here are cool all the time. Usually we get into the 80's when Sac hits 100 degrees, but last week we only got into the 70's. Winter is approaching already...
Old 09-28-2011, 07:07 AM   #22
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbibi View Post
Just finished the A trail and I have averaged 21 miles a day. 140 days
2390 miles with only 7 full day rest. There were 11 other days with only limited travel for weather related like heavy rain or snow, and let me believe that I must of had many a day with 25-26 miles traveled in that day .
That is an enviable life experience. Congrats on completing the journey!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #23
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I like the hike from Eagle Falls back into the wilderness. You get some great views and there are a bunch of nice spots to camp up near the Velma Lakes and back toward Dick's Lake too. Lots of opportunity in Desolation Wilderness.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #24
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Saturday, October 15 (weather permitting...and I mean if it's absolutely pouring then we shouldn't go, but a light rain is fine by me)

Anyone want to do a short hike either to the waterfall at the back of Jenkinson Lake (Sly Park Lake in Pollock Pines) or maybe even Fleming Meadows down to Camp Creek? Both trailheads are within a mile of each other.

Jenkinson Lake: To waterfall and back on the backside of the lake, it's 6 miles RT. Level is easy. Great views of the lake almost constantly. And if we're lucky, we'll see the bald eagles (we've got a nesting pair that live here at this lake). I've even seen them in late fall diving into the water and catching fish!

Fleming Meadows: I've always wanted to hike down to Camp Creek but it's too difficult for my wife's knees. It's only 3 miles RT, but the map shows it as difficult (all downhill to the creek, and all uphill on the way back so big elevation gain). If you look at the map in the link below, I'm thinking Route 8B. 8A is also an option, but it looks shorter.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/doc...il_fleming.pdf

Page 3 has the map of Fleming Meadows Trail system. I've mountain biked it before, and the views are nothing special. Also in this map, you can see the EID Hiking/Mountain Biking Trail labeled at the top of it just below the lake (that's the Jenkinson Lake loop to the waterfall).

Let me know if anyone's interested.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #25
150,000 miles and counting
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Name: sean
mcleod90's Tacoma Gallery
i may be in, which ever you want to do im down for which ever
Old 10-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Bump

I'm still watching the forecast. I think it'll be good.

BTW, was at my wife's Dr Appt for her knees on Friday and saw a story on the front page of one of the Sacramento magazines: Best 10 local hikes. Number 1 was the Jenkinson Lake trail with a pic of the waterfall.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #27
mcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud ofmcleod90 has much to be proud of

Weather looks like it should hold up.

Hope your wife's knee is ok or atleast doing better
Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #28
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, no luck on the knee. She decided to hold off on surgery since there was nothing definitive.

Sounds like you're still game. What time do you want to go? Supposed to be in the low 70's for a high and will be cooler all day on that side of the lake (and probably drop 10 degrees when we get to the back of the lake). So it'll be perfect temps for hiking.

I'm leaning now toward the Jenkinson Lake hike on the backside of the lake (to waterfall and back: 6 miles RT). There might be one spot that will likely be muddy that we have to jump over where a small creek crosses the trail, otherwise the remainder of the trail will be fine even with the 2+ inches of rain we had Tues/Wed. With hunting season having already started and no idea on how the Fleming Meadows Trail is after a lot of rain (we've had about 6 inches in the last month), I thought it a smarter idea to stick with the safer route.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #29
RevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Master Sergeant
Name: Nathan
RevHard6's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, my only free day is Sunday this weekend (and I'll be at PC for that ). Have furn and take some pictures. This weekend looks like at great weather.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #30

What time you want to go? I'm about 2 hrs away so just let me know
Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #31
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
It really doesn't matter to me. I'm only 6 minutes from the lake, while you've got the drive. I'd say pick when you'd want to leave your house and add a couple hours to it. 10:00, 11:00, noon? Doesn't matter. Wife and daughter are going with friends to hit a craft fair, so I'll be here!

BTW, I'm going to PM you my home and cell numbers.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #32
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
I like the hike from Eagle Falls back into the wilderness. You get some great views and there are a bunch of nice spots to camp up near the Velma Lakes and back toward Dick's Lake too. Lots of opportunity in Desolation Wilderness.
Thats a good hike, did that last time i was up in Tahoe.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #33
RevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant futureRevHard6 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Master Sergeant
Name: Nathan
RevHard6's Tacoma Gallery
Moose, did you guys make it out? How was the hike?
Old 10-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #34
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevHard6 View Post
Moose, did you guys make it out? How was the hike?
We did. Sean's talking about bringing his dad and gf next time because it's easy enough. Sean took lots of pics at the back, so we'll see if he'll post some up here. Maybe he'll be brave enough to post up one I took of him.

Weather was good. When we got to the back and were ready to head back, we decided to go all the way around the lake. So the 6 mile RT hike ended up being about 8.5 miles (took us 4 hours with the time we spent at the waterfall). I'll admit I was a little sore the next day, but then I'm not young anymore.

If the weather cooperates and we get some light snow and then some freezing temps, I'll coordinate another one. If this dry weather keeps up for a couple more weeks, would you guys be interested in Frog Lake at the top of Carson Pass (Hwy 88)? My wife wanted to do that one this year, we just never got time. And time seems to be more plentiful now. Frog Lake's an easy hike, but there might still be patches of snow to cross.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #35

first off i would just like to thank jim for showing me around his stomping grounds. the weather was perfect but it did get pretty warm in the sun, even though in the sun was only around 73 degrees. the hike was fairly easy but like jim said it was a long one. i think we should try and get some more people to go once some snow hits the ground. anyways here are some pics.

here are some pics around the waterfall

and here is a great looking guy standing in front of the waterfall

here are some of the lake

Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #36
Middle-Aged Member

05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod90 View Post
and here is a great looking guy standing in front of the waterfall
New profile pic? <<< See the similarities here?

Of course, now it's the new thumbnail for the thread.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #37
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
awesome pics man! check out the ultimate camping thread and post some pics and reviews!