Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

"Lower" priced shop for Tire Mount/Balance?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
"Lower" priced shop for Tire Mount/Balance?

been shopping around for a place to mount/balance, switch out TPMS for my new set coming in. The lowest I've seen to find is $100. Sears, Toy dealer..about $100. Firestone, Skips Tires want $130. Three Costco's I called will only mount their tires.

Anyone?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I use the wheel works on winfield near blossom hill, it shouldnt be that expensive. Also on monterey highway there is a Calderon used tire shop and they are super cheap as well just a little shady. They will do anything for money.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
bamma is on a distinguished road

bamma's Tacoma Gallery
Wal-Mart did it for me for about $5 a tire a few years ago.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
100 fukkin dollars to mount and spin?? Jesus. If you have big tires, make sure you get them road forced. Not every shop has them.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
100 fukkin dollars to mount and spin?? Jesus. If you have big tires, make sure you get them road forced. Not every shop has them.
Yeah, $100! That's friggin ridiculous isn't it.

How "Big" before I should Road Force? Mine are 265/70R17s on aftermarket wheels. Explain more what Road Force balancing is. Is this where they balance them on the vehicle or ?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Yeah, $100! That's friggin ridiculous isn't it.

How "Big" before I should Road Force? Mine are 265/70R17s on aftermarket wheels. Explain more what Road Force balancing is. Is this where they balance them on the vehicle or ?

If they are mud terrains, I'd consider it. Its they are BFGs, I'd tell you do it regardless of size, I've never had a BFG balance out right. Road forcing balancing puts pressure on the tire, simulating the weight on the tire as its spinning. They don't balance on the vehicle, its still on a special machine.

If you find a shop that does road force balancing and is asking 100 for all 4, then its not really a bad deal. I've seen shops charge 45 bucks a tire for road forcing.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #7

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Not muds, just Yok Geolander AT-S's

brian

That signature pic is ouch! Is that for real or just fixed?

ktm

I've been to Calderon's...scary place. Like you're entering a third world country, stacks and stacks of used tires and wheels.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
yup you get what you pay for. I bet they have hitmen for hire there too.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Walmart $5/tire
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Walmart $5/tire
Only if they are brand new
Old 09-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Rikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to all

Name: Rick
Rikkitik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks. Not muds, just Yok Geolander AT-S's
I just had the exact same tire mounted on aftermaket wheels also, (wheels from Tire Rack, tires from America's Tire). America's tire mounted them and didn't get the balace right the first time. The second time, they not only missed the balance AGAIN, but also nicked and scratched EVERY wheel with the impact gun when they spun the lugs off.
Pick your shop carefully, hopefully they will be more concientious.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #12

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Yikes scratched brand new rims? Dang. Ive heard other stories like that too. I'm gonna talk to my tech before they mount my tires!

Walmart looks good at about $15/wheel to mount balance and switch TPMS

Yeah I bought my tires at Discount Tites Direct. Great prices. How you liking the ride of yours?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
I just got mine done for $60 at a small shop here. They don't have any vibration issues and were done in 30 minutes. Other places were $100-130.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #14

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
I just got mine done for $60 at a small shop here. They don't have any vibration issues and were done in 30 minutes. Other places were $100-130.
$60. That's a great price. I think the local shops in SC help out their community folks. Here in San Jose, not so much local service feel but more city I-expect-you-to-pay it attitude.

$130. Where the heck the get off charging that! Fools. They just lost my return service. But to Skips Tires credit, they've fixed a couple of my flat tires and didn't charge me, and I hadn't bought the tires from them.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #17

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
$45 is good to. Where's Castroville? Is that the other song by Jimmy Buffet? If its more that 25min drive, I'll just pay $60 to have Milpitas Wally Mart do it for me, with "scratchy the wheel tech", dude that scrathes lugs just by using the air wrench. I'll have to talk to him personally. Maybe bring him some movie tickets if he does it right. don't want no friggin scratches on new rims fool!!!!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #18

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkitik View Post
I just had the exact same tire mounted on aftermaket wheels also, (wheels from Tire Rack, tires from America's Tire). America's tire mounted them and didn't get the balace right the first time. The second time, they not only missed the balance AGAIN, but also nicked and scratched EVERY wheel with the impact gun when they spun the lugs off.
Pick your shop carefully, hopefully they will be more concientious.
Mount, balance, and TPMS Swiching out? Price? Did they refund you or offer anything about the scratches. I would've been relling on that tech, make hims sweat big time, you aren't getting away with this bro. What'cha going do bout this here damage, man?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #19
Rikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to allRikkitik is a name known to all

Name: Rick
Rikkitik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Mount, balance??, and TPMS Swiching out? Price? Did they refund you or offer anything about the scratches. I would've been relling on that tech, make hims sweat big time, you aren't getting away with this bro. What'cha going do bout this here damage, man?
Definitely not balanced yet, proud owner of another Taco with the steering wheel "shakes". I called them (America's) when I got home, went to re-mount the caps and saw the scratches, (didn't like the way they handled the caps the first time, so I removed them myself the second time). I'll be "discussing" it with the manager soon.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #20

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
ARRGGGGGGGGGG! My wheels are out of stock....again! That makes two sets of wheels that I can't find. Another possible 3 month wait or more just for my friggin wheels.