Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Downieville or Tahoe Area Camping, Sept. 30th-Oct.2?

Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Downieville or Tahoe Area Camping, Sept. 30th-Oct.2?

Now that my Taco is lifted, thanks to Jberry and gang, I'm itching to hit some trails. Fall is upon us and the snow will soon come.

I was thinking of exploring some mild trails in Tahoe or near Downieville. There's Pauley Creek above Downieville that looks fun and not too technical. If anyone wants to join, I thought this could be a fun time for camping, off-roading, BBQing, and mountain biking.

I only want to wheel mild trails since I'm a newbie and want to keep my new truck pristine. I don't plan on Rubicon-type trails or 3 ft water crossings, just something to try out the 4WD.

Anyone?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you live?
Downieville is about 1 1/2 hour drive from a fun trail we run from time to time. It's Hunter Lake Trail. It starts in Boomtown and ends in SW Reno. Nothing too tecnical but you might need a spot in couple of places. Haven't been up there since 8/27.
Our trail run thread has pics and vids
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...ail-run-8.html
Old 09-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, Boomtown. I've stayed there plenty times and have seen those trails in the hills. Is the access on the same side of the highway as Boomtown? Looks like theres miles and miles of trails there. Are they all legal for OHV access?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Other side of 80 next to fire station. I've done it twice so far stock. the second time the wife came along and after doing it said maybe we should get a 3" lift like the guy we did it with. Put our lift on last Friday and haven't off roaded it yet.
Build link at top of sig.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #5

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, the firestation side? There must be trails cutting through the mountains then yes? I remember those mountains being pretty steep right away, not much slope to them like the hills on the other side.

My truck has only the 3" lift, stock 16" wheels, no sliders and it's brand new. Am I likely to get scratched up on these trails? These videos look pretty fun. How many miles and time does it take to get to Reno?
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Reno is a trek from Santa Cruz, but Tahoe is also.

I'd go but I can't afford it and I'm actually busy that weekend anyway..headin out to Groveland.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
Longtime Toyman

I did it stock twice with no trail damage. Of the 8 Tacos that did it the first time 5 were stock and the only trail damage was to GUAPOH that had the drop down step bars. They got a little ding. It's around 23 miles and 5 hours with a couple of stops (lunch & tree watering). And no all the trails are not OHV legal but I got a map from the forestry dept of the ones that are. The video I did is double actual speed to keep it under youtube 15 min limit.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I did it stock twice with no trail damage. Of the 8 Tacos that did it the first time 5 were stock and the only trail damage was to GUAPOH that had the drop down step bars. They got a little ding. It's around 23 miles and 5 hours with a couple of stops (lunch & tree watering). And no all the trails are not OHV legal but I got a map from the forestry dept of the ones that are. The video I did is double actual speed to keep it under youtube 15 min limit.
LOL, tree watering.

Sounds good if stockers can make it. I'd go only on the OHV legal trails, I'd hate to get caught and all that stuff. Plus that's just the right thing to do.

Well, I'm game if you and anyone else is. Next weekend? If we did it, maybe we can do it opposite direction and end up at Boomtown. Then I can stay there and eat up at their buffet. Is it still lobster? HMM yummy! Of course, there's plenty of buffets and cheap places to stay in Reno too.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Longtime Toyman

Might be up for the trail run but not the camping this time. Much easier BT to Reno, the more difficult spots are downhill that way. You'll end up about 15 to 20 min from BT. I think the lobster is still there.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #10

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Cool. Let's do it then. We don't have to camp. BT is cheap enough and I have a hankering for filling my belly with lobster. Can check out Cabellas while there too, though I'm not a hunter or fisherman.

What time you thinking? I'll PM you with my contact info and we can talk.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #11
Longtime Toyman

Gary (tacomtn) is comming up from the Bay Area and we are doing Hunter Lake Trail on Sat 10/1. Anyone want to join us? the more the merrier. If so post on thread below
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...ail-run-8.html