Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Anyone Good at Rust removal/painting?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

RockLobster1106's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone Good at Rust removal/painting?

So heres the deal. I have some rust on the roof of my toy that I want to get fixed and ideally I don't want to pay the $600-$1000 the local shops are saying it will cost to repair.

So I have 3-4 large rust spots on the roof that have not broken through. There are also some rust spots by the windshield because the windshield was replaced at some point and the shop that did it sanded off the paint to put in the new windshield but didn't seal or paint it.

I can provide pictures if needed but, what I plan to do is sand the rust off, put on POR-15 or some other rust inhibitor/destroyer and repaint. I am not very experienced and the 1st time I tried the paint bubbled after a few weeks.

Or is it just best to drop the money and have the shop do it right but have it be "un-guaranteed".
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
hmm.. let's see some pics
Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
what are you reffering to as TOY? crawler truck? If the rust isn't eaten throught, just sand down a bit, or use rustolium for metal, you can just spray that on the rust. Best is to sand a bit, use a cleaner, tape off, and rattle can it with rustolium.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
RockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really niceRockLobster1106 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
what are you reffering to as TOY? crawler truck? If the rust isn't eaten throught, just sand down a bit, or use rustolium for metal, you can just spray that on the rust. Best is to sand a bit, use a cleaner, tape off, and rattle can it with rustolium.
my toy is a 2002 tacoma sr5. That is the cheapest option but I do not know here is a little video of the rust because I do not have a camera

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...t=VID00042.mp4
Old 10-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Small and Tall
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
tacobell007's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacobell007
When I did rust repair on my corolla, I used a wire wheel on a half inch air die grinder to knock the rust and paint off. Then coated with a rust neutralizer and let that sit over night. Sanded down the rust neutralizer and in your case you could just start painting. The windshield area I think i would have done professionally though.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #6
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
silicone the window area, to get it air tight, and water proof. But yeah your gona need to sand it down to metal. and repaint.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
silicone the window area, to get it air tight, and water proof. But yeah your gona need to sand it down to metal. and repaint.
Do you have experience with this kinda thing sctaco? I am also in sc
Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

yea I think I'm just going to bring it to a shop.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You're gonna have to remove the window I fear to get the ones up front. That could be interesting.

The rest would only take 15 minutes with some sand paper and 5 minutes with a cheap can of primer to at least STOP the rust for now.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
it looks like they never sealed your front window right, I've painted metal, it's not hard, you can do it right but i'm pretty lazy. I need to hit my sliders with some more paint, the area's that didn't get enough paint have rusted through. But it's easy, just sand, clean, and paint. (obviously you'll need to tape off the areas.) I have a guy that can sand, the whole roof, and color match, but the thing with new paint, and old paint on the other area's is that you can tell it's new and old due to oxidation. I would just try to sand under the window seal, and take some metal cleaner to clean the area after. THEN take clear silicon and silicon under the window seal since you can actually lift it up from the video. and then apply pressure press the silicon in place and wipe off the excess that comes out with a wet rag.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
they should just do a mod day in the bay area again. I'm going to help someone do a suspension install hopefully next week in San Jose.