1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keep me in mind

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by DefyInertia, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Oct 14, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    DefyInertia

DefyInertia [OP] Saratogian

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCLB 4x4 SR5#8 (white)
    Toytec Ultimate: ~3" up front via coil overs, LR UCAs, and SB delete; 2+ out back with AAL and new shocks. Leer cap, padded sleeping platform in bed
    hey all,

Shopping for another truck after not having one for a couple years. Been doing a ton of moto dual sporting in Mendo NF, Lassen, Shasta/Trinity, Lost Coast, the Sierras etc. with my buddies but just had a baby this summer so I'm looking forward to doing some camping trips with the family in remote areas...so another truck I need. Plus I'm rehabing my house and need something I can put a car seat in (jus sold my sports car yesterday).

Anyway, point is, keep me in mind if you see any good trucks for sale in the area. I've been spending a lot of time digging through CL and the forums looking for trucks but it would be great to have some poeple looking out for me as well.

I posted a WTB in the classifieds but here is the run down:

- 2005+ DCLB 4x4
    - Low mileage (under 60,000ish...the lower the better)
    - Some basic mods would be a bonus
    - Budget is $20,000 to $30,000

Thanks all....see you around.

Nate

2. Oct 14, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    20-30k can buy you a hell of a truck.
    You want a short bed or long bed?
    Wheeling style (hauling ass or crawler)?
    Where specifically in Norcal you located?

3. Oct 15, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    He said DC LB. For that price range, you could get a new one.

4. Oct 15, 2011 at 4:38 PM
    DefyInertia

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate: ~3" up front via coil overs, LR UCAs, and SB delete; 2+ out back with AAL and new shocks. Leer cap, padded sleeping platform in bed
    Long bed

Wheeling style....a little of A, a little of B. I won't be jumping the thing...that's what my motorcycles are for.

I'm in San Francisco.

F cancer is right.

It's always been my experience that you get a better value when buying private party used. I rather spend the money on a lighty used truck that already has good tires and a lift than buy brand new stock truck from a dealer.

5. Oct 15, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Duh...DCLB. I was drinking last night. I'll just use that for my excuse. :drunk:
    You should have no problems finding a truck in that price range. CL might be you're best bet to start with. Generally speaking, you're not going to find a great deal for a truck on TW. People selling their trucks here know what the trucks are worth.

As for lifts for you're wheeling style, I'd suggest looking for something with aftermarket UCA's and extended length coilovers up front, and an aftermarket leaf pack for the rear. A decent midtravel setup will work well for both styles.

6. Nov 5, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    DefyInertia

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Found this 2005 in SacTown.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2680856646.html

Tires have 15,000 miles on them.

The truck was in one minor accident a few years ago. Minor rear end w/ no damage to body (just bumper). Truck was repaired.

Does not appear to have any mods or upgrades

Never been offroad

Price seems pretty fair but we shall see...

Thoughts?

7. Nov 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    Non trd so no locker, bed outlet... Seems alittle cheap especially for CA

8. Nov 5, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    DefyInertia

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Comes with the cap, yes. Which I want anyway, espeically the taller one....so that's a big plus.

White is not my favorite, but it'll do.

I won't be getting a locker because I need a long-bed, but yeah, it's not a TRD Sport so I don't get those goodies.

But yeah, price does seem pretty good campared to similar trucks and KBB. But damn, still a lot of money for a 7 y/o truck w/ 50,000 miles on it. I guess these things just really do hold their value.

Truck is paid off so seller has clean title in hand.

Wish is had some mods but....

9. Nov 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    DefyInertia

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    So I'm scheduled to go look at the 2005 post above on Wednesday of this week. Up until a second ago I had all intentions of buying the truck so long as everything checked out. However, the seller gave me his address so I looked it up on google maps and see that he owns a massive RV trailer.

WHen I aksed him previously what he used the truck for he said 75% commuting to work (3 miles one way which equals 10,000 miles over 6 years) and for a couple trips to LA and one trip to Washington state. He never mentioned towing.

I just sent him an email asking if he has used the truck for towing anything and if so, for how many miles and what was the weight of the tow.

So long as the trailer was within the recommended tow specs of the Tacoma, would you be turned off by a Tacoma that had been towed with quite a bit?

10. Nov 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    DefyInertia

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to look at the white 2005 on Wednesday morning and if I don't buy it I'm going to look at this black 2008 a few hours later.

BLACK 2008

• Mileage is 47,500
    • Carfax is super clean, all maintenance, one owner, no issues, etc.
    • 100,000 miles 7 year bumper to bumper warranty
    • Owner has dumped $$ into the truck and is asking a very high price
    • Truck has obviously been exposed to road salt since it has spent its entire life above 6,000 feet in a snowy area
    • KBB is showing around $25,500
    I'd pay $24,000 I think....not sure it's worth $3K more than the white one with almost the same mileage.

Thoughts? Which would you prefer?

Thanks

Tips on how to check that other than physical inspection, sag of the truck, and bouncing on the tailgate?

11. Nov 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    DefyInertia

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, man.

12. Nov 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    DefyInertia

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I bought the white 2005 today - woot! It came with a full tank of gas :) Nice people...

Too bad I fly out of town this weekend otherwise I'd be heading up to MNF to hit some trails and do some camping.

Products Discussed in

To Top