Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

anyone ever been to joshua tree national forest?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
anyone ever been to joshua tree national forest?

a buddy and myself are going to do some camping. he needs to get away from work, and i just need a break from everything.

about 5 days over there, rock climbing, hiking. any random trails over there for my 4x4? safe trails because we will be solo vehicle. i cant afford a break, or a stuck truck.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
a buddy and myself are going to do some camping. he needs to get away from work, and i just need a break from everything.

about 5 days over there, rock climbing, hiking. any random trails over there for my 4x4? safe trails because we will be solo vehicle. i cant afford a break, or a stuck truck.
Your probably better off posting this in the socal forum. When are you going? I'll be traveling down south to wheel/camp/bike in the el mirage/barstow regions at the end of the month.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
w3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alvin
w3tw0rks's Tacoma Gallery
I've never been, but looking through my Southern Guide to Cali Backroads and 4wd Trails all I see is Berdoo Canyon. The book rates it Moderate. It says only the last part of the trail is moderate, the rest is easy. Says it's suitable for stock, high-clearance, 4wds. Books also says allow 2-4 hours for 23.4 miles.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
duh...socal. damn.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
partypartida is on a distinguished road
partypartida's Tacoma Gallery
I just got back from Joshua tree. (11.01.11)

After spending one night at the Indian Cove campground (only 4 groups there at the time) I headed over to the Geology tour the next day.

I took my '05 4x2 Pre-runner through the loop but I didn't attempt to go through Berdoo Canyon.

Since I came in one vehicle, I didn't think it was worth the risk of getting stuck on a trail 9+ miles away from any help.

I had no trouble getting around the trail. The conditions were perfect at the time of my visit. (70's and clear skies) The road was a bit sandy but nothing you wouldn't be able to handle.

It did rain a bit today (Friday 11.4.11) so the conditions may have changed. But you can always check at the ranger station.

I do recommend you bring enough water, shovel and some wood in case you need to dig your way out if your tires get stuck someplace.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Phlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhlip4x4Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Phlip4x4Sport's Tacoma Gallery
hehe... just happened to be looking through norcal threads...
I have been there many times for camping, rock climbing and hiking. Camping is a large temperature swing so winds are high and unstable/tall tents can get knocked down. Rock climbing is different than granite. It is sandstone that grips good but crumbles under your feet. Crack climbs are easier, slabs are more difficult. Beware of the long hike to lost Oasis... not much there, the Oasis at the beginning of the hike is much better.

I went through there once for 4x4, here is a small write up.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ml#post3583272
The loop to the top of Geology Trail is pretty easy. Once you head into Berdoo canyon I myself didn't think I would be able to come back up with my truck. But going down I would do it again. It is a long loop taking Rt 10 to Rt 62 to get back up to the top of Joshua Tree.

Have fun!