Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Help Needed for Front End Growling/Vibe Fix

Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Help Needed for Front End Growling/Vibe Fix

Hey, guys.

I've developed the dreaded bearing, diff, or whatever the heck the cause is for a growling noise/vibe front end problem. I've done some research and it seems it's likely my bearings are shot, or its the diff drop, or not the diff drop, or IDK. The CV boots are intact, my truck is a 2011 with only 9400 miles, 3" OME lift.

I was hoping to have help installing my new sliders and skid plates, but this problem is priority now.

Anyone available this weekend, maybe Sunday?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Hey, guys.

I've developed the dreaded bearing, diff, or whatever the heck the cause is for a growling noise/vibe front end problem. I've done some research and it seems it's likely my bearings are shot, or its the diff drop, or not the diff drop, or IDK. The CV boots are intact, my truck is a 2011 with only 9400 miles, 3" OME lift.

I was hoping to have help installing my new sliders and skid plates, but this problem is priority now.

Anyone available this weekend, maybe Sunday?
Dude, youre under warranty... just take it to the dealer. if youre trying to determine if it is the needle bearing all you need to do is put it into 4wd and if it goes away it is the needle bearing.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I was going to try the 4WD engage test tomorrow. I was thinking of the dealer but since my truck is lifted, I'm afraid they won't help. I guess it doesnt hurt to ask.

Funny thing too, it only seems to make the noise when warmed up, not cold. I've been reading that some have this same only-when-warm issue too.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Where do you live again.... I don't mind.... but I ain't driving anywhere :P
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #5

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in San Jose.

I tried the 4WD engagement, noise continues, no change. CV joints, diff, wheel bearings? Help.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
If you feel it and hear it... its probably the wheel bearings. Just take it in man.

Grab the tire and shake it side to side, do you feel any play on the hub? I'm slowly starting to thing on t hese trucks its not a solid indicator because I think mine are going but the hub still feels solid.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
If you feel it and hear it... its probably the wheel bearings. Just take it in man.

Grab the tire and shake it side to side, do you feel any play on the hub? I'm slowly starting to thing on t hese trucks its not a solid indicator because I think mine are going but the hub still feels solid.
wheel bearings dont need to have play to be bad they can be jacked up internally wont cause any vibration though will just sound like an airplane or loud tire noise

and if you take your car in i would highly recommend taking the lift off depends on how they are they can be dicks and just void your warranty if they wanted too and say the damaged part is caused by the lift etc etc i work at a dealership but not at toyota =X
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
DATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud ofDATZ WEAKSAUCE has much to be proud of
DATZ WEAKSAUCE's Tacoma Gallery
find out what it is yet?