1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Tacoma Alarm Failure!

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by RBPTOY, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jan 8, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    OP, Sorry about your truck. Like everyone else is saying I don't think you have the factory alarm on there. I have the same sticker on my window and another one next to it which is the VIP sticker (Vehicle Intrusion Protection). Also just under my foglights/power inverter buttons there's a Flashing led light and glass breakage sensor.

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    sry to hear about your truck op.

I have been wondering the same thing, whether or not my truck had an alarm. Same thing as the op, had the stickers, the beep, therefore an alarm. I didnt start wondering until for fun locked my girlfriend in the vehicle, so if she tried to unlock the vehicle the alarm would go off scaring her. Well it didnt go off and left me saying wtf.

Anyways what i am getting at is, since i dont have an alarm, does anyone know how much the stealership charges for a factory alarm? i would opt out and go to aftermarket, but i dont want to have to deal with void waranty due to an "aftermarket" alarm, or because toyota didnt install it or something of that nature.

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    This ^^

4. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    The only way an add on would void a warranty is if they can prove that your add on affected whatever went wrong.

For example, if you installed an aftermarket alarm and after a while the truck does not start, and you bring it in for warranty, they can say it's because the kill switch on the alarm is not allowing it to start. But they have to prove it. http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus01-businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law

5. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    dang thats pricey. I think bestbuy is going to be around or close to that so maybe it might be worth it. I think off the tope of my head, viper alarms run from 2-300, plus tax and what not, and then u get them to install. I am just recalling this from a while back....dotn hole me to this

I just remeber reading somewhere on here that someone got a stereo put in and the installer screwed it up royally, thus the guy had to go back to the dealer, where understandably they charged him to fix it. This is kinda wat i meant when i said "void the warranty". Thanks though, will definatly look into this, exspeacially since my gf's car got broken into for the second time but in our driveway. Goodthing they my truck alone .

Op if you end up getting an alarm, chime in on what you got, would like to know what and why. good luck with the repairs, and again sorry to hear about that.

6. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Is there any way to test the VIP RS3000, short of breaking a window or prying open a door? Heck, will prying open a door even set it off? What does it actually cover beyond the stock immobilizer?

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Roll down the window, set the alarm, wait a minute, reach into the open window, unlock the door without the key fob and open the door.

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list
    Same thing happened to me this past Tuesday. I do have an alarm as I have tested it.

They smashed the rear passenger window. Stole a briefcase that didn't really have anything on it, but the briefcase was kind of expensive... :mad:

They didn't steal the like 3K in electronics I had in my front seat though... Do not know how they missed them. :D

My alarm did not sound BTW.

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Well, good grief. I read that earlier, but, for some reason, thought you were talking about another alarm. Must have been confused by the later discussion of an aftermarket alarm. That's a good excuse. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'll try that. But not tonight since the garage is attached to the house and some are already sleeping.

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    Lostoam311

Lostoam311 YETI

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 YETI
    Spec D headlights (garbage, Do not buy) replaced bulb with H7 80W Osram Off Road bulb so I could actually see. The lights they send do not put off any light at all and it's impossible to see anything at night... TOYO Open County AT III's (smooth ride, not loud) with Matte Black 17-In. TRD PRO Wheels Plasti dipped emblems and Bull Bar (Lasted about 2 years, need to spray them again)
    Bahahaha... that is great! I need to figure out how to hook this up to my Taco... I'm not even sure I have an alarm... I have keyless with a Toyota remote that has a panic button... my neighbor across the street has the same truck and remote, but his 'beeps' when he locks and unlocks it and mine doesn't... lights just flash...
    Still... not much crime where I'm at, but that could change at any minute, so a train horn alarm would def deter a thief!

11. Jan 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    OverRated

OverRated Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma / TRD-OR / DCSB
    Damn I should check mine.. Sorry for the lost :(

12. Jan 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Well, my alarm definately works - very loudly. You could have warned me that it's not a good idea to test it in an enclosed garage. Huh? Did you say something? ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top