Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Texas guy with a weird question for Cali peeps

Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Texas guy with a weird question for Cali peeps

So I got a weird question that just baffles me. I've heard this from a few native Californians and I'm just trying to understand you guys' reason for this. Now this is just a general serious question. So I was at a hotel in Lake Tahoe this past Dec. and met some guy and his family. He asked where I was from and just to make convo I asked him the same. He said, "We're from Orange County."

First thing I though to myself was, "huh, well Orange County is a big place idiot and that tells me nothing." I mean I don't go around telling people I'm from Harris County (where I'm originally from - Hou, TX) which happens to be an even larger and more populous county than Orange County. So the only thing I could think of maybe it's just a part of their culture??? Or maybe he is saying it because he thinks that I will be impressed because all of the T.V. shows about the area, i.e. Laguna Beach, the Hills, Real house wives. I'm not sure but I was leaning towards the later half because of the way he said it, he was realll proud. This is the third native Californian that has said this exact same thing. So what is the reason behind this? BTW this is in no way meant to be offensive or anything like that, it's just a general question.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
So I got a weird question that just baffles me. I've heard this from a few native Californians and I'm just trying to understand you guys' reason for this. Now this is just a general serious question. So I was at a hotel in Lake Tahoe this past Dec. and met some guy and his family. He asked where I was from and just to make convo I asked him the same. He said, "We're from Orange County."

First thing I though to myself was, "huh, well Orange County is a big place idiot and that tells me nothing." I mean I don't go around telling people I'm from Harris County (where I'm originally from - Hou, TX) which happens to be an even larger and more populous county than Orange County. So the only thing I could think of maybe it's just a part of their culture??? Or maybe he is saying it because he thinks that I will be impressed because all of the T.V. shows about the area, i.e. Laguna Beach, the Hills, Real house wives. I'm not sure but I was leaning towards the later half because of the way he said it, he was realll proud. This is the third native Californian that has said this exact same thing. So what is the reason behind this? BTW this is in no way meant to be offensive or anything like that, it's just a general question.
You just answered your own question. Its because Orange county is such a big area. If he said something like, "im from mission viejo or yorba linda," most people that are not from california would think, well where the fuck is that??

Just like me, if I told you im from chula vista, would you know where that is? Probably not. So, its more practical for me to just say San diego.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is just like everyone saying they are in so cal.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Im not sure but most people are wierd out here! They also dont say I-8 or I-805 but say THE 8 or THE 805 for their highways. I have caught myslef doing that now as well... I am originally from your neighbor to the north... Oklahoma... LOL
Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I grew up in La Habra, which is in Orange County. People from Orange County don't even know exactly where La Habra is... so when I went off to Europe, and know that I'm up in school in northern cal, i just say Orange county. Even the Hungarian waiters on vacation knew where orange county was. It's not that we are super proud to be from OC because its famous and there are shows filled there (in fact i think most of the locals including me think those shows that try to portray OC is a joke) its just people know it better than all the little towns in it. Unless we say "i live next to disneyland" usually "Orange County" suffices.
But don't get me wrong.. I'm sure there are some out there that are trying to be pretentious too!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Its because Orange county is such a big area. If he said something like, "im from mission viejo or yorba linda," most people that are not from california would think, well where the fuck is that?? Just like me, if I told you im from chula vista, would you know where that is? Probably not. So, its more practical for me to just say San diego.
So than it's just a California thing. Because like I mentioned Harris County is larger than Orange County, but if I'm out of state I don't say "I'm from Harris County." I say I'm from Houston because Houston is the major city in Harris County. But inside of Harris County are smaller areas i.e. Friendswood, Clear Lake, Pasadena, Pearland. But even if I'm from say Clear Lake, I still say I'm from Houston.

Quote:
So, its more practical for me to just say San diego.
See you will say the practical thing like San Diego, and most people can somewhat associate where that city is on a map. That is what I do when I say Houston. But others just use the county, why did the guy just not say "I'm from Newport Beach, it's just outside of San Diego." Or just flat out say "We're from the San Diego area." Maybe I am over thinking this but it was just baffling as hell as why anyone would voluntarily say this.

Quote:
I'm sure there are some out there that are trying to be pretentious too!
Well that explains it then. I'm pretty sure the guy was saying it in this manner. Just kind of made me confused and laughed a little inside because he was trying so hard..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Its easier to describe where you are from by region than by city. Not that many people outside California, even people from California, know where some of the city's are so saying I'm from Orange County, versus saying I'm from Westminster is easier to describe and understand.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I say O.C. because its better known then my little city. Although Mark Sanchez has helped in putting our little city on the map.you are right to say Houston as most everyone knows where its at, Harris co? wheres that?
p.s. those shows do not portray O.C. in real life and Newport Beach is in O.C. not San Diego.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So than it's just a California thing. Because like I mentioned Harris County is larger than Orange County, but if I'm out of state I don't say "I'm from Harris County." I say I'm from Houston because Houston is the major city in Harris County. But inside of Harris County are smaller areas i.e. Friendswood, Clear Lake, Pasadena, Pearland. But even if I'm from say Clear Lake, I still say I'm from Houston.

See you will say the practical thing like San Diego, and most people can somewhat associate where that city is on a map. That is what I do when I say Houston. But others just use the county, why did the guy just not say "I'm from Newport Beach, it's just outside of San Diego." Or just flat out say "We're from the San Diego area." Maybe I am over thinking this but it was just baffling as hell as why anyone would voluntarily say this.
And thats why he probably said orange country, because its more PRACTICAL

And btw, Newport beach is not just outside San diego.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Its a regional thing, not a Cali thing. So you give the city your from right? Do you think people from New York City might say the same about you only giving a city? They break it down farther with boroughs, and then even farther with communites inside each borough. IE Greenwich Village is inside Manhattan which is inside NYC. You have decided that saying a city is best for your area to describe to others where you are. I think each geographic area can decide for themselves what is the best way for others to understand.

I guess my point is, why would I tell you that you dont know how to describe your area when you are the one that lives there?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
ok idk why i came in here(no pun intended) but i say knoxville even tho i’m like 25 min from knoxville. because if i said where i lived you would say” where the fuck is that” i have meet people around here that don’t even know where i live when i tell them.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Limited
lucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlucky73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lucky73's Tacoma Gallery
Its a regional thing, not a Cali thing.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
Shit I do that and I'm from Texas. People don't know where Southlake is, but everyone knows DFW
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodiddly33 View Post
Shit I do that and I'm from Texas. People don't know where Southlake is, but everyone knows DFW
Yeah but the point is you say you're from Dallas -FT.Worth, you don't go around saying I'm from Dallas County, or Tarrant County.

So basically the only people who say they are from a particular county are from Orange County. Everyone outside of Orange County says their from a particular city around the actual area they are really from. Regional thing, got it.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Im not sure but most people are wierd out here! They also dont say I-8 or I-805 but say THE 8 or THE 805 for their highways. I have caught myslef doing that now as well... I am originally from your neighbor to the north... Oklahoma... LOL
Damn, this is so true, but I think it applies to all of California. I grew up saying "THE" before highway/freeway numbers and just recently discovered this was a CA thing. Blew my mind.

Quote:
OK so to sum everything up:

Basically the only people who say they are from a particular county are from Orange County. Everyone outside of Orange County says their from a particular city around the actual area they are really from. Regional thing, got it.
I'm from OC, but usually just say California. I think anyone that says "Orange County" definitely fits in that category of just wanting to brag about where they are from.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
I used to get that shit all the time when I was in the Corps. People would ask where you from, "San Jose", I'd reply. They'd say, "where is that?" well, "it's in the south bay, it's the 10th largest city in the country...(quizzical look on their face),"fuck it, I'm from San Francisco". Oh San Francisco, thanks for only being known for hippies and alternative life styles...
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ron
10851's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha Dave…
Just to give you some food for thought… this is not trying to be rude… but aren’t you doing the same thing that the guy from Orange County did? You say that you were in a hotel in “Lake Tahoe”….Lake Tahoe is an expensive ski resort area.. What Hotel? Where in Lake Tahoe? Was it in North Lake Tahoe or South Lake Tahoe? Was it in California or Nevada? I think people are afraid (And justifiably so) to give out too much personal information. They just make small talk to be courteous but don’t want to give too much information to a stranger. Maybe he figured that you really didn’t care about knowing exactly where he lived so he just gave a general location. Did you ask him what city in Orange County? If not, I guess his answer was sufficient to satisfy your curiosity. Your location says that you are from Austin Texas. Where in Austin? Oh… I have a friend in Austin… where do you live??? Why don’t you give me your address and phone number and maybe I’ll stop by with my dirt-bag friend to see what you have…. We may want it more than you need it.. Now on a serious note… I happen to have some friends from Dallas and Houston. They are great people and are very friendly… Just like most of the people that I have met from Texas.. I’ll bet that you are no different than they are… but until I knew that I wouldn’t give you information on where I live… I hope that I have not been offensive in any way!! If I have been it was not my intension… I hope you have a great weekend!!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post
You just answered your own question. Its because Orange county is such a big area. If he said something like, "im from mission viejo or yorba linda," most people that are not from california would think, well where the fuck is that??

Just like me, if I told you im from chula vista, would you know where that is? Probably not. So, its more practical for me to just say San diego.
I would respond, "Orlando is nice this time of year". I know cities, not counties.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #19
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think orange county is all that big . That's what most people say that are from the area . If you were to ask me I'd say sandiego not Oceanside .
Old 05-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10851 View Post
Yamaha Dave…
Just to give you some food for thought… this is not trying to be rude… but aren’t you doing the same thing that the guy from Orange County did? You say that you were in a hotel in “Lake Tahoe”….Lake Tahoe is an expensive ski resort area.. What Hotel? Where in Lake Tahoe? Was it in North Lake Tahoe or South Lake Tahoe? Was it in California or Nevada? I think people are afraid (And justifiably so) to give out too much personal information. They just make small talk to be courteous but don’t want to give too much information to a stranger. Maybe he figured that you really didn’t care about knowing exactly where he lived so he just gave a general location. Did you ask him what city in Orange County? If not, I guess his answer was sufficient to satisfy your curiosity. Your location says that you are from Austin Texas. Where in Austin? Oh… I have a friend in Austin… where do you live??? Why don’t you give me your address and phone number and maybe I’ll stop by with my dirt-bag friend to see what you have…. We may want it more than you need it.. Now on a serious note… I happen to have some friends from Dallas and Houston. They are great people and are very friendly… Just like most of the people that I have met from Texas.. I’ll bet that you are no different than they are… but until I knew that I wouldn’t give you information on where I live… I hope that I have not been offensive in any way!! If I have been it was not my intension… I hope you have a great weekend!!

DING DING DING we have a winnah herrre!!