Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Bay Area (California)

Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Bay Area (California)

I am from Northern California, Redding to be exact, and live in L.A. right now, and am thinking about transferring up to the Bay. I have spent no time in the Bay, so I dont know jack shit about it. Obviously I want to live somewhere that isnt a shit hole, so I am wondering where the good places to live are, somewhere I wont have to be worried about shit bags breaking into my shit and what not. I am looking to live about less than an hour away from San Francisco. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
give us a little more detail budget wise and if you plan to rent or purchase a home. nobody wants to live in a shit hole, but at the same time $800/month won't cut it in the bay area for a nice place.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
give us a little more detail budget wise and if you plan to rent or purchase a home. nobody wants to live in a shit hole, but at the same time $800/month won't cut it in the bay area for a nice place.
x2

more info would be great, and we can help you out on where you can go with the best bang for buck
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
No where... bay area sucks ass... stay up there..
Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
No where... bay area sucks ass... stay up there..
And the central valley swallows. Stay there.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
And the central valley swallows. Stay there.
If you really want to get technical.. all of cali sucks ass.. ... you lucky nevadian.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Stay the hell away from Oakland. You'll get your underwear jacked if you don't cinch it on tight enough
Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Well the gf is wanting to buy a house, she is wanting to spend around $350,000. I know it's super expensive up there, maybe even more so than down here. I would prefere not to rent, even if it is super cheap.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
Well the gf is wanting to buy a house, she is wanting to spend around $350,000. I know it's super expensive up there, maybe even more so than down here. I would prefere not to rent, even if it is super cheap.

Sorry but that's not gonna happen. 350k is a down payment.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
+1 lol. that would be a good down payment for a nice home in a good area. do you like the city life or do you like areas like redding where you were born?

btw, just so you know, renting a nice home in a nice location around here is about ~$2,200-2500 for a 2-3bdrm. this is nothing fancy either.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSPerformance View Post
+1 lol. that would be a good down payment for a nice home in a good area. do you like the city life or do you like areas like redding where you were born?

btw, just so you know, renting a nice home in a nice location around here is about ~$2,200-2500 for a 2-3bdrm. this is nothing fancy either.
In Pinole/ El Sobrante you can get a home for under 350,000 hell we payed 280,000 for ours. The east bay is not that bad right now the homes are lower then you think.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Stealth Custom Series™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
In Pinole/ El Sobrante you can get a home for under 350,000 hell we payed 280,000 for ours. The east bay is not that bad right now the homes are lower then you think.
very true. i'm trying to get a sense of what the OP considers "nice", but he's not giving much details. i'm in emeryville and i love it here, but it might not be his style. homes around here can be anywhere from 300-450k. i would consider alameda a nice little city(island), but their prices are in the upper 450-above range.

i myself wouldn't consider living anywhere outside of the bay area unless it was japan.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
So nothing even up to an hour away from San Fran?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Well nice is nice. Im talking about somewhere I don't have to worry about shit getting broken into or stolen. Somewhere with low crime and good schooling.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
So nothing even up to an hour away from San Fran?
An hour to SF is a sliding scale.

It depends on the method of transportation and the time of day. I can make it from my house on the border of San Jose/Milpitas to the city in less than an hour by car....on a Wednesday night around 2:00am. That same commute during rush house has taken me over 2.5 hours before. It's completely hit an miss and unpredictable.

You can ride BART from pretty much the end of any of the train lines and make it to the city in an hour...but you're on BART. It's less stressful than sitting in traffic, but it certainly has its drawbacks.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Ya I know all about the BART shit. My gf brought that up and I shot it down quickly. Traffic isn't a huge deal, we already have to deal with LA traffic, so we are used to that.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya I know all about the BART shit. My gf brought that up and I shot it down quickly. Traffic isn't a huge deal, we already have to deal with LA traffic, so we are used to that.
BART is the only way to travel into the city. Taking that bridge sucks I took BART every day for three years and it's SOOOOO much better then driving into the city.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed10851 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ron
10851's Tacoma Gallery
Stillfly,
Why don't you contact some of your POA folks in the Bay area? If you go to a Motor unit the commute won't be so bad. Hell you will have a home retention vehicle and can write to and from…. I know your office folks can help a bunch…. If not, talk to your local law enforcement and fire department brothers and sisters in the areas of your interest. They will know first hand on where the good and bad areas are...You and I both know they will be more than happy to help… Good Luck!!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Captain
Juggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuggernaut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Juggernaut's Tacoma Gallery
For 350 you are looking at the east bay. I would honestly consider renting and saving, try getting a place close to work. Also check the weather, the peninsula has a lot of micro climates, every 10 miles the temperature can change 10 degrees. Leaving Sunnyvale on 280 i have started my journey with the AC on, and by the time I was in South SF I had the heater on, and once I was in the marina (SF) I had my windows down heater off. Location location location.