Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Bumper Height

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
TheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TheKid's Tacoma Gallery
Bumper Height

Hey guys, I put a Leveling kit on my truck, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to lift it higher because I think it will be cheaper that buying small tires. But I want to get a Tube Bumper. Is there any laws in California about bumper height or anything I should know about before I buy one? I live in Contra Costa County if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
nope there shouldnt be any particular laws for tube bumpers in CA.

Im in Concord/Clayton btw.
so is Shemicals, Acdronin, babytrucks, and t4r4life.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
You'd have to check CA vehicle codes. I know in Washington State the bumper laws are pretty strict.

(a) Be at least four and one-half inches in vertical height.

(b) Be centered on the vehicle's centerline.

(c) Extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distances.

(d) Be attached to the vehicle in a manner equivalent to the original manufacturer's installation.

(e) Be horizontal load bearing and attach to the vehicle frame to effectively transfer energy when impacted.

(f) Be mounted at a maximum height based on the original gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle, measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. For vehicles exempted from the bumper requirement for the reasons stated above, a maximum frame elevation measurement must be made to the bottom of the frame rail. Maximum heights are as follows:

Front Back
Passenger Vehicles: Front: 22 Inches Rear:22 Inches
4,500 lbs. and under GVWR: Front: 24 Inches Rear: 26 Inches
4,501 lbs. to 7,500 lbs. GVWR: Front: 27 Inches Rear: 29 Inches
7,501 lbs. and over GVWR: Front: 28 Inches Rear: 30 Inches
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeRunner View Post

(a) Be at least four and one-half inches in vertical height.

(b) Be centered on the vehicle's centerline.

(c) Extend no less than the width of the respective wheel track distances.

(d) Be attached to the vehicle in a manner equivalent to the original manufacturer's installation.

(e) Be horizontal load bearing and attach to the vehicle frame to effectively transfer energy when impacted.

(f) Be mounted at a maximum height based on the original gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle, measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. For vehicles exempted from the bumper requirement for the reasons stated above, a maximum frame elevation measurement must be made to the bottom of the frame rail. Maximum heights are as follows:

Front Back
Passenger Vehicles: Front: 22 Inches Rear:22 Inches
4,500 lbs. and under GVWR: Front: 24 Inches Rear: 26 Inches
4,501 lbs. to 7,500 lbs. GVWR: Front: 27 Inches Rear: 29 Inches
7,501 lbs. and over GVWR: Front: 28 Inches Rear: 30 Inches
non of this matters, cop will pull you over if they feel like it and give you shit. if you get pulled over by a cop and get a ticket, tell him to go eat a bag of dicks, put back the stock bumper, get it signed and put the tube bumper back on.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
The older the bear, the sweeter the juice
DangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Max
DangerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I only know about the minimum height, 12 inches but since youre not lowering it then dont worry about it.
Still, little bit of info for you.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
CVC 28070 and 28071

Quote:
28070. As used in this article, "passenger vehicle" means "passenger vehicle" as defined in Section 34710.

28071. Every passenger vehicle registered in this state shall be equipped with a front bumper and with a rear bumper. As used in this section, "bumper" means any device designed and intended by a manufacturer to prevent the front or rear of the body of the vehicle from coming into contact with any other motor vehicle. This section shall not apply to any passenger vehicle that is required to be equipped with an energy absorption system pursuant to either state or federal law, or to any passenger vehicle which was not equipped with a front or rear bumper, or both, at the time that it was first sold and registered under the laws of this or any other state or foreign jurisdiction.
In a nutshell...it means there's no such thing as a "legal" aftermarket bumper in CA. Bumper height is not an issue, but the minute you pull off the original manufacture equipped bumper, the great LEOs of California can give you a fix it ticket.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4r4life View Post
non of this matters, cop will pull you over if they feel like it and give you shit. if you get pulled over by a cop and get a ticket, tell him to go eat a bag of dicks, put back the stock bumper, get it signed and put the tube bumper back on.
And the next time he sees you, he'll flag the ticket as "non-correctable" and you'll have a large fine on top of the sign-off and $30.

I've talked to a LOT of cops who are automatically going "non-correctable" for tint, HIDs/tinted headlights, etc...
Their attitude is that the "fixit" is for something that's broken and the owner just needs a "kick in the ass" to get it fixed, but they aren't going to cut that break for the owner that intentionally does something illegal.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerTaco View Post
I only know about the minimum height, 12 inches but since youre not lowering it then dont worry about it.
Still, little bit of info for you.
What's the CVC? I don't remember ever seeing a minimum or maximum bumper requirement.

Height requirements I know of are:

Headlight height is between 22" and 54" in height.
Exhaust height if exiting to the side must be 24" or less.
Frame height up to 4,500 pounds GVWR is 27 inches, 4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR is 30 inches, 7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR is 31 inches.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
And the next time he sees you, he'll flag the ticket as "non-correctable" and you'll have a large fine on top of the sign-off and $30.

I've talked to a LOT of cops who are automatically going "non-correctable" for tint, HIDs/tinted headlights, etc...
Their attitude is that the "fixit" is for something that's broken and the owner just needs a "kick in the ass" to get it fixed, but they aren't going to cut that break for the owner that intentionally does something illegal.

or if the owner/driver has a "mouth" problem.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
What's the CVC? I don't remember ever seeing a minimum or maximum bumper requirement.

Frame height up to 4,500 pounds GVWR is 27 inches, 4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR is 30 inches, 7,501 to 10,000 pounds GVWR is 31 inches.

If I remember correctly, the bottom of rear license plate must be at least 12" above the roadway.......
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post

or if the owner/driver has a "mouth" problem.
True... "Eat a bag of dicks" never ends well for the guy that doesn't have the badge.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente View Post
If I remember correctly, the bottom of rear license plate must be at least 12" above the roadway.......
You are correct there. Rear plate is 12"-60",but there's no miniumum on front plate (max is still 60" though). Still, I don't think there's a requirement that the license plate be attached to a bumper.

CVC 5201

EDIT: Just noticed you're from Carson City. I'll be moving to Zephyr Cove next week. Let's hit some trails!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
TheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to allTheKid is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TheKid's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help guys

I'll keep a eye out around Concord for your trucks
Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
The older the bear, the sweeter the juice
DangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Max
DangerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post

thinkin about it now i think the minimum height for the headlights is 12 inches, my bad.
Its mainly for the ricer boys and their lowered cars, etc.