Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Lincoln/ Lincoln Crossing & HOA's

Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
RonBurgundy is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: Patrol
Name: Ron
RonBurgundy's Tacoma Gallery
Lincoln/ Lincoln Crossing & HOA's

For those that live in a Home Owners Association (HOA), what do you like and what do you hate? Or even better yet, is there anyone that lives in Lincoln Crossing?

In my house hunt, I have been demoralized with the lack of inventory and how hard it it to find something I like and can afford. So, I have started looking in Lincoln Crossing. With that in mind, I realized the City of Lincoln is essentially bankrupt and city services (Fire/ police/ schools) suck and the city will likely go bankrupt.

However, on the other hand Lincoln qualifies for a USDA Loan which is 100% financing and $0 down @ a 3.75% interest... I could more less make money to move to a home in Lincoln (My realtor is gifting me 1% of sale price). The homes themselves are awesome. For example these are just three of the homes we are currently looking at...

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Lincoln/100.../home/19604155

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Lincoln/105.../home/22436499

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Lincoln/133.../home/19596346

It's crazy how much more house you can get for a dollar in Lincoln compared to Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom.

Any thoughts on HOA on Lincoln are welcome and appreciated!
Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I almost bought one, and it was a corner house. Brand new, not even finished being built yet. I had asked if the side yard gate can be made into a swinging door, so I can have access to the yard. I was told no. Oh REALLY? Even it it's MY house? And not breaking code?? So I did more research then realized why the house I rented was so restrictive. It too, had HOA.

I would never buy a home where it requires HOA. The monthly rates can change drastically at a moment's notice, as much as $100. You have no say in that and you have to pay it or you get fined. You cannot do anything to the outside of your home or front yard without bringing it to a meeting and asking permission. If they decide to paint everyone's house one day, you may come home and it's a different color. If you want a rose bush in front of your house instead of that boxwood, you have to ask permission. If they think your lawn needs to be mowed and you are sick and can't do it this week, they will do it for you without permission and then bill you.

It's awful. It's controlling. And its YOUR house....
Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Oh Herro
MikeyTG will become famous soon enoughMikeyTG will become famous soon enough
Air Force:
Name: Mike
MikeyTG's Tacoma Gallery
that ^ is a bit excessive... There are bylaws that clearly explain what the HOA can and can not do and what you can and can not do. I live in lincoln crossing and I love it, all the houses have nice yards, the streets don't have any ratty cars parked on them over night, and the club house has 2 pools, a small fitness center, a game/theater room, and a "corporate" room (big room for events basically). It also comes with built in fiber optic internet, it's incredibly fast but I hear people complain about bandwith sometimes, we only stream media/play video games/and surf the internet and we haven't noticed any problems. You also get a bigger home for your buck here in Lincoln as opposed to Rocklin/Roseville and even the 12 bridges area. Walmart is actually building a "neighborhood" market near the downtown area. So I'd like to say the city is still growing, it's just a function of the times and it will pass. There are 2 payments for the HOAs, 118 and I think 240, certain homes like the condo's and the ones right off 65 and Joiner are 240, I thought that was slightly too much and stayed away from those homes. There are rules that say you must ask permission to plant trees in your front yard and things like aggressive vines, but I just did both (I forgot to ask) and no one ever said anything, it's all about class, if your additions look nice and are in keeping with the look of the neighborhood, it won't be a problem. Now, I would look up reviews for the community also because I know there are people who feel differently about this place who have been here longer than me. But I have nothing bad to say about it. Hope that helps, oh and those houses you are looking at are very beautiful and that interest rate will basically let your monthly payment be less than if you wanted to rent somewhere with smaller square footage!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I have yet to hear anything good about HOAs. I will be looking to buy in the next few years and if Lincoln is 100% HOAs then I will stay away. Babytruck hit em on the nose as far as I'm concerned. I've read sooo many horror stories. The worst one involving the Vet in NC being told he could not put the flagpole in his front yard and hoist the colors everyday. Hundreds of Jeepers rallied through the streets with flags to protest.
A member of my family was in one, might still be....the stories echo babytrucks. I lived in Lincoln for a few months last year. The place is really nice, but the lack of police really bothered me. Always kids sneaking around. Neighbors house got vandalized, the place where I was staying got broken into. I lived off of Moore road on the joiner side...right where it got split by the bypass.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
You should also find out whether the HOA is developer run or home owner run. Typically, until the development is sold out, the developer runs it then turns it over to the Board Of Directors.

Regarding fees, let's say there's some reconstruction that's needed in a common area. Normally, this would be taken care of by the HOA's emergency funds. That is if they bother to take care of that stuff-otherwise, you could be liable for your portion of the bill and that could be anything. The condo I lived in had several $5,000 dollar special assessments in one year. All due, in part, to bad management.

There are very few good HOA's. My experience is they are all poorly run and the BOD consists of a bunch of people with nothing better to do.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Mac98 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Senior Airman, USAF
Name: Mac
Mac98's Tacoma Gallery
I rent a room from my buddy in Lincoln crossing. So I don't directly deal with the hoa fees and all that, but I do enjoy living there. Like mike said the club house is cool too. Good luck in your search. Would be cool to have another taco owner in the neighborhood!