Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Pinecrest Lake Wheeling Trip

View Poll Results: What Dates Work?
August 11-12 2 40.00%
August 18-19 0 0%
August 25-26 3 60.00%
September 1-2 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
Pinecrest Lake Wheeling Trip

I'm creating this thread to see if there is any interest in a weekend wheeling trip to my families cabin by Pinecrest Lake (Cold Springs). https://maps.google.com/maps?q=alpin...ie=UTF-8&hl=en I was thinking of making a short weekend trip (Sat-Sun) for some wheeling and shenanigans. It's a ~2.5 hour drive from the Bay Area and features some good trails near by. The Niagara Rim Trails is really close by and should be fun.

I was thinking we could leave early Sat morning and get up there around 9 or 10. Stockwell45 (Matt, he was at the last Hollister trip) lives up there and knows the land a lot more than me. Hopefully he can join us. Wheel all day, then head back to my families cabin for the night. Wake up the next day and wheel some more or hike or head down to the lake. Then head back at some point on Sunday.

We have 4 beds at my cabin, two of them can fit two people, we also have a couch and some floor space. So in total anywhere around 10 people could stay there. It's not big, but will work as long as we don't have families going and people don't mind being in close quarters. If people want we have a big deck as well, just saying. There will be plenty of room to park the trucks as well.

I've posted some dates to see what works best. Sept 1-2 is Labor Day weekend, so that might not work, but I put it up anyways. Let me know if you guys are interested as it should be a fun/chill trip. I will need to know somewhat soon to reserve the date with my family though.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
nice! sounds like fun! In for 8/25-8/26
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
The older the bear, the sweeter the juice
DangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Max
DangerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is this PreRunner friendly or 4x4 a must?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Niagara Rim Trail is definitely 4x4, but there are some trails around that could be 2x4. You could always come up and hang out and ride shotgun with one of us.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
LOL I don't think your ready for Niagara Rim Robert. I've been wanting to hit that trail for a wile but it's far from mild so be ready for body damage
Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
GHOSTFJ will become famous soon enoughGHOSTFJ will become famous soon enough

GHOSTFJ's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, not trying to be a fun suck but JLee is correct. Niagara Rim is not a trail to be taken lightly. I would recommend to get plenty of seat time and a capable rig before attempting.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
4runner Troll

Hmmm, well nevermind then. I briefly talked with Matt (Stockwell45) and he said some parts are ok, but I'll take it from you guys. I will talk with Matt more and find some good trails to check out.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
GHOSTFJ will become famous soon enoughGHOSTFJ will become famous soon enough

GHOSTFJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRunner12 View Post
Hmmm, well nevermind then. I briefly talked with Matt (Stockwell45) and he said some parts are ok, but I'll take it from you guys. I will talk with Matt more and find some good trails to check out.
It can be done but experience is important. There are alot of off camber spots that are not passable and knowing what to do quickly could mean staying upright. Any rig with a lift, 33" tires, skids, locked and sliders can get thru the trail but the person behind the rig is the most important aspect of any rig. We all want to go out and have fun but we also want to come back home. Eagle Peak is a moderate trail and Dodge Ridge is 4x2 friendly as long as it is dry. Make sure to check with the local ranger station just in case of any closures or restrictions.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
4runner Troll

I totally understand what you mean. I just ran Eagle Peak this last weekend and it has an amazing view at the end.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
Alpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlpha Q Up is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Ruben
Alpha Q Up's Tacoma Gallery
I would be down for August 18th or later. I have a blown boot that needs fixing though.

Or maybe I can ride shotgun with someone.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #11
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
niagara rim would be doable if we both have a 1st gen with sfa and 35s and a winch, but with ifs and small tires we wont be wheeling it much, just be bouncing and scraping, maybe rolling lol
Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

any word on an alternative trail? is Hull Creek OHV for trucks?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can't we find a nice 4x2 friendly trail
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
n00b

uhhhh, I'm not gonna drive 4 hours to run a 2wd fire road
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
4runner Troll

Haha, there are definitely some 4x2 trails. I contacted Matt and waiting to hear back from him. There are tons of trails up there to check out so I'm sure we could find something for everyones skill level.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #16
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
uhhhh, I'm not gonna drive 4 hours to run a 2wd fire road
Hater
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
Hater
hahaha you can always ride with me
Old 07-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha, there are definitely some 4x2 trails. I contacted Matt and waiting to hear back from him. There are tons of trails up there to check out so I'm sure we could find something for everyones skill level.
Or truck ability level.

My truck is a wimp.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Or truck ability level.

My truck is a wimp.
No its just a baby once its grows up it can platy with the big boys :P
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
w3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shedw3tw0rks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alvin
w3tw0rks's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Robert did you ever figure out the dates for this trip? Is it still happening?