Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Bay Area folks

Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Bay Area folks

Hey guys, my sister is running in the Nike Marathon in San Fran this Oct.

My parents and the GF and I are planning on heading down from Reno to see her. She's flying in from the eastern US.

We're wanting to stay somewhere that's out of the city but accessible by BART or ??? and easy to get to from Reno.

Don't want to stay anywhere sketchy, but don't want to drop a fortune on rooms, and have to pay to park. Think, nice hotel chain, decent area. We'd like to be able to walk to a BART station or cal trains? and head into San Fran.

For reference the race starts in Union Square and ends near Golden Gate Park.

Also, can anyone tell me about this metro train system to get around SF.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Casey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant futureCasey05Taco has a brilliant future

Name: Casey
Casey05Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I mean the problem with staying in the city is that you will have to pay to park and it will cost out the ass to stay.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Ok , here's the deal, you can stay out in Walnut Creek at like a Motel 6 and walk to the BART station (about half mile), get to the City that way, you could stay in Concord or PH fairly close to the BART there too, cheaper than the city, MUNI runs all over the City but you can walk to Union Square from a BART station
Old 09-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Concord, Pleasant Hill and Walnut Creek are in the east bay, easiest to get to from Reno
Old 09-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #6

Thanks! I'll look into those three. Looks like the best option. The prices for anything decent in SF look outrageous.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Thanks! I'll look into those three. Looks like the best option. The prices for anything decent in SF look outrageous.
The cheapest I can think of that fits your criteria would be the Motel 6 on North Main in Walnut Creek, it's a tony suburb, you can walk to the street and see the Bart tracks about 3/4 of a mile south down the street. book rooms in advance though. Then there is Embassy Suites in Pleasant Hill, right next to PH BART, much nicer but more $$. If it was me, I'd do the Motel 6 and blow money on good food in the City. There is the Concord Hilton and The Sheraton in Concord (and others), both of which probably have shuttles to the BART stations.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
Millbrae, it's about 8 miles from sf and not sketch. They have a Bart and Caltrain station. Check out some of the hotels in that area. Walnut creek is a nicer area but a longer ride to the city.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #9

Great, thanks guys!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMal View Post
Millbrae, it's about 8 miles from sf and not sketch. They have a Bart and Caltrain station. Check out some of the hotels in that area. Walnut creek is a nicer area but a longer ride to the city.
Yeah but he has to drive to and through the city to get there
Old 09-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #11
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Yeah but he has to drive to and through the city to get there
Who the hell wants to stay in Walnut Creek when they come to the bay
I second Milbrae it's close to the airport so hotels are on the cheaper side and it's a 15min BART ride to Powell "downtown SF"
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
No love for Colma?? ....
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
No love for Colma?? ....
Above or below the ground?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Right there by BART, cheap are for motel rates and since it's not that far from the City, the BART fare should cheaper than Walnut Creek. Not much to do there but they will be in the city most of the time.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
I would have to agree that Walnut Creek is the easiest to get to driving from Reno, is a nice area, and has easy access to BART. Lafayette is also a nice area and is just west of WC, and has it's own BART station.

You could take BART from any of the east bay stations into the city and get off at Powell to watch the start of the race at Union Square...

You could also stay somewhere on the peninsula (colma, ect.) as mentioned, and take caltrain and/or bart into the city, but as mentioned, that would be a little bit more of a trek than somewhere in the east bay.

I think the more difficult thing for you would be figuring out public transportation to Golden Gate Park (I assume that you would like to be there for the finish of the race). GGP is something like 5 miles away from the nearest BART station. I'm very familiar with BART, not so much with MUNI (bus/rail system). Muni does run to the vicinity of GGP, but I would recommend researching and familiarizing yourself with MUNI if that's what you want to take.

A quick trip search says walnut creek to Powell is just under a 40 minute trip, with a short 10 min walk to Union Square. ($4.85 one way per person on BART, 9.70 round trip) Then back to Powell, where there is a MUNI stop, and then a $2.00/person 1 way Muni trip to the area of GGP.

I'm not familiar with MUNI, but I do know that GGP is a big place, and I don't know where the MUNI stop in that area would put you in relation to where the race is going to end.

My recommendation would be BART to Powell/Union square, then find a set of cross streets that are walking distance to where you want to be in GGP and take a cab. It sounds like you only have 4 people, which will work for an SF cab (even the van cabs in SF will only take 4 people). A cab will be a little bit more expensive, $3.50 to get in, then $0.55 for every 1/5th of a mile, and $0.55 for each minute in traffic delays or waiting (SF taxis are not cheap). The advantage of a cab really comes in the fact that you won't have to figure out MUNI and they'll take you exactly where you want to go.

Good luck and have fun in the Bay.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
walnut creek has an awesome downtown. great shopping and eating.

of all the towns..walnut creek will have some cheap hotels. i love near the first Concord bart station. there are NO hotels nearby. the second bart? i dont think so either.

concord, walnut creek, pleasant hill area..known affectionately as "east bay" is a direct hit coming from reno. it will essentially be the first part of the bay area you hit. i think there are several hotels near pleasant hill bart
Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Take BART to any downtown SF stop, then transfer onto MUNI and take the N train to Golden Gate Park. Easy Peas

http://transit.511.org/static/provid...2201020856.pdf
Old 09-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
#38 Geary train will drop you off in GGP and take you back to Union Square..super easy.

heck a taxi would be about $20ish.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Who the hell wants to stay in Walnut Creek when they come to the bay
I second Milbrae it's close to the airport so hotels are on the cheaper side and it's a 15min BART ride to Powell "downtown SF"
you just mirin!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
t4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4r4life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
t4r4life's Tacoma Gallery
stay in marriott walnut creek closest to bart and about 5 mins walk to downtown. toms of resturants and bars, just dont go down there friday night, shit load of drunk fucktards and cops