1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger rebuild?? Is it time??

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by trmarshall1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Nov 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    trmarshall1

trmarshall1 [OP] The Least Interesting Man In The World

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Supercharged
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    So, I posted in the 1st Gen Forum and was advised to also check here. I think my S/C may need a rebuild or a nose cone replacement. The S/C has about a shade under 85k total mileage and the truck, an '02 has 103500. The immediate throttle response it use to have is no longer there. Does anyone have any experience with the S/C's and know if now is a good time to replace/rebuild? If so, is a simple job for a mechanically inclined DIY'er? How long is the teardown/assembly?

Thanks for your advice TW!

2. Apr 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    trmarshall1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    4" Pro-Comp Lift, TRD cat back exhaust, grey wire mod, clutch pedal linear spring mod
    So, now, I think my S/C has kicked the bucket;

So last night, I was driving home on the freeway about 68 mph with the cruise on. It was probably running around 2800 rpm. Out of nowhere, the rpm spiked to close to 5500 before going back to a normal rpm range. I noticed that after that, almost immediately under acceleration, it seemed to shudder. I checked the boost gauge, and it wouldn't go past 10 on the vacuum side. I can no longer hear the whine of the S/C either. I was able to drive the truck the approximately
    4 miles home after the incident, and it started fine this morning, though I didn't drive it. I did however leave it in neutral and gave it a bit of gas, and the same thing, it won't boost or go past about 2400 rpm without shuddering like it's air starved. Any ideas on what this could be and what it might cost to repair? I have the original intake manifold I got from the second owner (I'm the third), so how difficult of a job is it to swap the S/C out?

3. Apr 24, 2013 at 11:56 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
  4. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:24 AM
    trmarshall1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    Symptoms sound very similar, however, it happened out of the blue and I can't figure out why the rpm would have spike like it did.

5. Apr 25, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    it takes maybe 10 minutes of wrenching and peering down the pipe to see if any of the cats are blocked. if you have free time, the process of elimination is otherwise free.

6. Apr 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    SCRunner12

SCRunner12 Tundra Troll

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra DC, TRD, 4wd
    What s/c do you have? Black or tan? The nose cone replacement is simple on the black 2nd gen, but the 1st gen requires a bit more work.

Products Discussed in

To Top