Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Supercharger rebuild?? Is it time??

Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger rebuild?? Is it time??

So, I posted in the 1st Gen Forum and was advised to also check here. I think my S/C may need a rebuild or a nose cone replacement. The S/C has about a shade under 85k total mileage and the truck, an '02 has 103500. The immediate throttle response it use to have is no longer there. Does anyone have any experience with the S/C's and know if now is a good time to replace/rebuild? If so, is a simple job for a mechanically inclined DIY'er? How long is the teardown/assembly?

Thanks for your advice TW!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
So, now, I think my S/C has kicked the bucket;

So last night, I was driving home on the freeway about 68 mph with the cruise on. It was probably running around 2800 rpm. Out of nowhere, the rpm spiked to close to 5500 before going back to a normal rpm range. I noticed that after that, almost immediately under acceleration, it seemed to shudder. I checked the boost gauge, and it wouldn't go past 10 on the vacuum side. I can no longer hear the whine of the S/C either. I was able to drive the truck the approximately
4 miles home after the incident, and it started fine this morning, though I didn't drive it. I did however leave it in neutral and gave it a bit of gas, and the same thing, it won't boost or go past about 2400 rpm without shuddering like it's air starved. Any ideas on what this could be and what it might cost to repair? I have the original intake manifold I got from the second owner (I'm the third), so how difficult of a job is it to swap the S/C out?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...eleration.html

something like jason's issue?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
Symptoms sound very similar, however, it happened out of the blue and I can't figure out why the rpm would have spike like it did.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
it takes maybe 10 minutes of wrenching and peering down the pipe to see if any of the cats are blocked. if you have free time, the process of elimination is otherwise free.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
4runner Troll
SCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCRunner12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
SCRunner12's Tacoma Gallery
What s/c do you have? Black or tan? The nose cone replacement is simple on the black 2nd gen, but the 1st gen requires a bit more work.