1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need new tires

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by Justin, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nov 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Justin

Justin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    I am getting stationed outside of Yuba City in March, and I know I will need new tires before I arrive out there. I have 265/65/R17 right now, and I am OK with the size, but might want to go a little larger. I do not have a lift or anything. Is there anything that you guys recommend for the terrain out there? I ski often and do some highway driving as well.

2. Nov 24, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    You might get away with 265/70's. If you drive in the snowy roads, you can't go wrong with Duratracs. I just bought my second set. I got just under 40,000 miles on mine with room for about 5000 more. I didn't want to attempt it in the snow though.

Good luck with your choice!:D

3. Nov 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    Justin

Justin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    Thanks! Yeah I know I can fit a 265/70, but what about going with a skinny? like 255/70 or 255/75? Because I know skinnier is better with snow, and less resistance so better mileage

4. Nov 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    Forestfire

Forestfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 SR5 DC LB - BSP
    I dont think the difference in the two sizes will matter much for snow driving, so I say go with what you like. I have found BFG A/T's have always worked really well in the snow for me. Welcome to Beale and the North State

5. Nov 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    If you use a GPS device that shows vehicle speed you have noticed your speedometer is 3 to 4 MPH off with the OE 265/65-17 tires and wheels. While it's not a big deal, the 265/70-17's are a little larger diameter that corrects the speedometer error.

When I needed tires I put on a set of Michelin LTX MS/2's. They are a bit pricey but they wear like iron. The OE tires were shot at 45K miles. I have 50K miles on the MS/2's and the tread is not close to being half worn. Gas mileage hasn't changed (it's still very good for a truck) but the tires roll very smoothly and reduce road noise to the point you'll think you got a new truck. When I added the new Michelin's I also put on a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks. The ride and handling are also much improved but I don't know how much of that is the tires vs the shocks. With the Tacoma's 4X4 driveline I'm able to get anywhere I need to go as far as snow.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

6. Nov 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    nagorb

nagorb Should be a dang perma mod

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2001 dbl cab 4x4
    I like my duratracs, 235/85-16 do decent on dirt/mud, great in snow, but I just blew a sidewall yesterday by driving over a good sized rock at about 40mph.

7. Nov 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    stlstrs

stlstrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    03 SAS DC
    Diamond SAS, AOR Front Bumper, AP Rear Bumper, BAMF Sliders, Inchworm Dual Cases
    I'm a big fan of the BFG All Terrains for an all around tire. They do great in the snow. I've had a few sets of Toyo ATs, they are a pretty good tire as well. They're a little cheaper than the BFGs and they also have a milage warrantee ( at least at schwab); I could never find a warrantee on the BFGs.

8. Nov 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM
    krause

krause Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Norfolk
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    3" spacer lift, K&N cold air intake, Magnaflow catback exhaust, blackrock 17" rims, 32" tires (retread) brushguard, kicker subwoofer, pioneer head unit
    If you're looking for great tires for half the price and the same performance as the BFG's, take a look at http://www.treadwright.com They're a retread company based out of SD, and they make incredible products. I had a set of their A/T's on my 2000 Ranger, and loved them for the short amount of time I had the truck after I put them on. I now have their Warren M/T's on my Taco, and they work amazing on any terrain I've been on.

9. Nov 24, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    JimBCa

JimBCa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Bay Area California
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Build Duratrac 265/75R16 Load rated E BAMF Rock Sliders, Pelfreybilt Front bumper and skid plates (3) Pro Runner front and rear shocks,Add-A-Leaf springs ATO (Armor Tech Offroad) hilift mounts, Famous Fabrication cb antenna/flag mount CoverKing Tactical seat covers, Flyzeye dash-light ARE Shell, backup light mod SumoSprings and Stops
    I always used BF Goodrich All terrain K/O ties on my last GMC 3/4 T pickup and averaged 60k to 70k on a set.

With my new TRD OffRoad, I wanted to try something a little more aggressive and a tad bit better in the snow and off road.

After much soul searching, went for the Duratrac's. They look good and the reports say they will do better in the snow.

I had stock oem tires and as the winter approaches, (still not here in the bay area), decided to make the purchase.

The stock size on my truck was 265/70 R16, and Duratracs don't come in that size, so stepped up to a 265/75 R16 tire. Sure is not much room Behind the front tire

10. Nov 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    Can't speak towards the ride quality of the duratracs, but I can say the 265/75/16's (close to 265/70/17s if i remember correctly) are indeed a tight fit up front on my TRD Sport. Having a set installed now and they had to show me. It won't be bad once I put my lift on though.

11. Nov 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    A little summary since it sounds like your two big concerns are highway MPGs and snow traction. I have personal experience with the BFG and AT2, the other two are based on others' reviews on the Tacoma forums. There are others like the Goodyear Wranglers, but I stay away from Goodyear with the exception of the Duratracs due to too many bad experiences. A lot of the other tires people recommend just don't have the longevity, so you end up paying more over the life of the tire.

BFG TA KO: Hit on highway MPGs, but great all around tire. Will get between 60K-80K miles of use. (I got close to 60K out of these)

Michelin LTX AT2: No hit on highway MPGs. Same performance as BFG TA KO in all conditions. Will get between 60K-80K miles of use. Currently have 40K miles on these with 35% tread remaining. Honestly, this is the number one tire I've tried so far (it's my 4th tire).

Duratracs: Likely hit on highway MPGs, but another great all around tire. Probably the best of the 4 off road and in the snow. (I'm trying these next:D)

Michelin LTX M/S2: No hit on highway MPGs, but not quite as good off road or in the snow as the others. Again, you'll likely get between 60K-80K miles of use.

Products Discussed in

To Top