Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Need new tires

Old 11-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Need new tires

I am getting stationed outside of Yuba City in March, and I know I will need new tires before I arrive out there. I have 265/65/R17 right now, and I am OK with the size, but might want to go a little larger. I do not have a lift or anything. Is there anything that you guys recommend for the terrain out there? I ski often and do some highway driving as well.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
You might get away with 265/70's. If you drive in the snowy roads, you can't go wrong with Duratracs. I just bought my second set. I got just under 40,000 miles on mine with room for about 5000 more. I didn't want to attempt it in the snow though.

Good luck with your choice!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Thanks! Yeah I know I can fit a 265/70, but what about going with a skinny? like 255/70 or 255/75? Because I know skinnier is better with snow, and less resistance so better mileage
Old 11-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Forestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Forestfire's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think the difference in the two sizes will matter much for snow driving, so I say go with what you like. I have found BFG A/T's have always worked really well in the snow for me. Welcome to Beale and the North State
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
If you use a GPS device that shows vehicle speed you have noticed your speedometer is 3 to 4 MPH off with the OE 265/65-17 tires and wheels. While it's not a big deal, the 265/70-17's are a little larger diameter that corrects the speedometer error.

When I needed tires I put on a set of Michelin LTX MS/2's. They are a bit pricey but they wear like iron. The OE tires were shot at 45K miles. I have 50K miles on the MS/2's and the tread is not close to being half worn. Gas mileage hasn't changed (it's still very good for a truck) but the tires roll very smoothly and reduce road noise to the point you'll think you got a new truck. When I added the new Michelin's I also put on a set of Bilstein 5100 shocks. The ride and handling are also much improved but I don't know how much of that is the tires vs the shocks. With the Tacoma's 4X4 driveline I'm able to get anywhere I need to go as far as snow.

Good luck with whatever you buy.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I like my duratracs, 235/85-16 do decent on dirt/mud, great in snow, but I just blew a sidewall yesterday by driving over a good sized rock at about 40mph.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
stlstrs is on a distinguished road
stlstrs's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a big fan of the BFG All Terrains for an all around tire. They do great in the snow. I've had a few sets of Toyo ATs, they are a pretty good tire as well. They're a little cheaper than the BFGs and they also have a milage warrantee ( at least at schwab); I could never find a warrantee on the BFGs.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
krause is on a distinguished road

Navy: Petty Officer 3rd class
Name: Matt
krause's Tacoma Gallery
If you're looking for great tires for half the price and the same performance as the BFG's, take a look at http://www.treadwright.com They're a retread company based out of SD, and they make incredible products. I had a set of their A/T's on my 2000 Ranger, and loved them for the short amount of time I had the truck after I put them on. I now have their Warren M/T's on my Taco, and they work amazing on any terrain I've been on.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
I always used BF Goodrich All terrain K/O ties on my last GMC 3/4 T pickup and averaged 60k to 70k on a set.

With my new TRD OffRoad, I wanted to try something a little more aggressive and a tad bit better in the snow and off road.

After much soul searching, went for the Duratrac's. They look good and the reports say they will do better in the snow.

I had stock oem tires and as the winter approaches, (still not here in the bay area), decided to make the purchase.

The stock size on my truck was 265/70 R16, and Duratracs don't come in that size, so stepped up to a 265/75 R16 tire. Sure is not much room Behind the front tire
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBCa View Post
I always used BF Goodrich All terrain K/O ties on my last GMC 3/4 T pickup and averaged 60k to 70k on a set.

With my new TRD OffRoad, I wanted to try something a little more aggressive and a tad bit better in the snow and off road.

After much soul searching, went for the Duratrac's. They look good and the reports say they will do better in the snow.

I had stock oem tires and as the winter approaches, (still not here in the bay area), decided to make the purchase.

The stock size on my truck was 265/70 R16, and Duratracs don't come in that size, so stepped up to a 265/75 R16 tire. Sure is not much room Behind the front tire
Can't speak towards the ride quality of the duratracs, but I can say the 265/75/16's (close to 265/70/17s if i remember correctly) are indeed a tight fit up front on my TRD Sport. Having a set installed now and they had to show me. It won't be bad once I put my lift on though.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
A little summary since it sounds like your two big concerns are highway MPGs and snow traction. I have personal experience with the BFG and AT2, the other two are based on others' reviews on the Tacoma forums. There are others like the Goodyear Wranglers, but I stay away from Goodyear with the exception of the Duratracs due to too many bad experiences. A lot of the other tires people recommend just don't have the longevity, so you end up paying more over the life of the tire.

BFG TA KO: Hit on highway MPGs, but great all around tire. Will get between 60K-80K miles of use. (I got close to 60K out of these)

Michelin LTX AT2: No hit on highway MPGs. Same performance as BFG TA KO in all conditions. Will get between 60K-80K miles of use. Currently have 40K miles on these with 35% tread remaining. Honestly, this is the number one tire I've tried so far (it's my 4th tire).

Duratracs: Likely hit on highway MPGs, but another great all around tire. Probably the best of the 4 off road and in the snow. (I'm trying these next)

Michelin LTX M/S2: No hit on highway MPGs, but not quite as good off road or in the snow as the others. Again, you'll likely get between 60K-80K miles of use.