Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Norcal Camping

Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
skeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really nice

Name: Pete
skeeet's Tacoma Gallery
Norcal Camping

I can hardly remember the last time I went camping. I recently got my truck up and running so I'm trying to go camping more and more often. Anyone have campsite recommendations? Feel free to post up pics if you got them!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
sly park! favorite place to go
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
What kinda camping are you looking for? What areas?

There's some good suggestions in here, and some pics.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...ggestions.html
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
skeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really nice

skeeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
What kinda camping are you looking for? What areas?

There's some good suggestions in here, and some pics.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...ggestions.html
sweet thanks!

And I'm open to all kinds of camping, but I love backpacking and hiking.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
For local backpacking its hard to beat Henry coe state park in Morgan hill.

Any coast camping form big sur all the way up to Oregon and beyond, the more north u go the less people. Kings/sequoia, Lassen, castle crags, McBurny falls, gold bluffs beach fern canyon, lassen.

There's to many to mention, i always ask on the forums, found a few cool places that way.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

skeeet's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all you help! I'll give Henry Coe a go whenever the weather clears up a bit
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Forestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedForestfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Forestfire's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a pretty good site for the Sierra's. I would be careful this time of year unless your prepared for 4 season camping, snowshoes, etc.
http://www.backpackthesierra.com/

I would also recommend the Sierra Buttes near Downieville, CA in the summer. Its awesome backpacking country.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #8

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeet View Post
thanks for all you help! I'll give Henry Coe a go whenever the weather clears up a bit
Watch for rain, you can get stranded in areas if theres a lot of rain. Watch for rattle snakes, ran across a few
Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
This time of year it's great to camp on the valley floor in Death Valley. It's a little cool at night, and mild during the day.

It sucks to camp the valley floor in the summer.

All the local parks around the bay area are totally booked up every weekend months in advance. You have to seek out the really obscure ones to have any hope of nearby weekend camping. Henry Coe is one such example.

Personally I like throwing my junk in the back of my truck, including about 10 gallons of water so I'm totally self contained, then go off exploring the forest service roads until I find a place I want to camp - and just set up there. End up at least half a mile from the next nearest camper that way.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever been to Mono Lake in Yosemite?

I wanna go during a snow storm so I can take some cool photos. But I'm not sure how reservations work there. I heard that service roads get closed, but you could snow shoe in.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeah I checked that out a while ago.. was hoping someone might have had some experience..

but then again, anybody wanna go on an adventure??
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
personal favorite is American River Resort
Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #14

skeeet's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. Much appreciated
It's been raining too hard lately over the weekend to go out and enjoy the wilderness. My girlfriend isn't too fond of the rain.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #15
There's things that gnaw on a man worse than death
gussie is on a distinguished road

Name: Gus
gussie's Tacoma Gallery
Fowler Campground

Civilized, but quiet... fairly easy access with a gorgeous waterfall. Bring your cold weather gear, this time of year...
Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Civilized, but quiet... fairly easy access with a gorgeous waterfall. Bring your cold weather gear, this time of year...

That looks like a nice spot. I checked out the water fall, it must look great with all they grey skies and stuff. Perfect photo op!