Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

BHLM specific Mod Day - any interest?

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
The only thing I would ask ahead of time is make sure there are enough 10mm sockets and or plenty of Phillips #2 screwdrivers.

I would also ask you guys to bust loose the bottom outboard screw the night before because they're a PITA
Reasonable requests, all.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #23
jluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jon
jluu44's Tacoma Gallery
I would be down to help out. I have done a few retrofits and Black outs on my previous cars - Taco, Subarus, and FJ.
Opening up the headlights and painting them can be done fairly quickly and easily. You only need one oven, each light only takes about 7 minutes in the oven to open up. If we are efficient with the oven, we can knock a bunch of sets out in a day. The only issue is that I recommend airing out the painted parts overnight so they don't release chemicals inside the housing and fog it up. I have learned that from experience.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluu44 View Post
The only issue is that I recommend airing out the painted parts overnight so they don't release chemicals inside the housing and fog it up. I have learned that from experience.
Do you have any validity for this observation? Fog means you aren't sealed. Moisture isn't just magically gonna appear inside a headlight and fog it up because of a chemical reaction.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #25
jluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of lightjluu44 is a glorious beacon of light

jluu44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have any validity for this observation? Fog means you aren't sealed. Moisture isn't just magically gonna appear inside a headlight and fog it up because of a chemical reaction.
My fault, not fog due to condensation from a leak. More like hazy lenses caused by chemicals releasing from the paint when lights are on and hot. I've seen it happen to a few retrofits and BHLMs from not letting the paint cure properly. Should be able to use a heat gun to speed up the curing.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
sounds fun, may i join?

i already did my bhlm but i have clamps and a heat gun for you guys to borrow. i also have a set of fx-rs that im not going to be using and can sell it to someone who wants them.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluu44 View Post
My fault, not fog due to condensation from a leak. More like hazy lenses caused by chemicals releasing from the paint when lights are on and hot. I've seen it happen to a few retrofits and BHLMs from not letting the paint cure properly. Should be able to use a heat gun to speed up the curing.
Ive just never seen this before. When you bake the headlights, there will be no moisture left inside to cause fogging. Sounds to me like they just weren't sealed properly. Its not like were using water based paints here.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #28

jluu44's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ive just never seen this before. When you bake the headlights, there will be no moisture left inside to cause fogging. Sounds to me like they just weren't sealed properly. Its not like were using water based paints here.
When the paint out-gasses its chemicals, the inside of the headlight lenses become hazy overtime. This happens when people paint their housings and don't take the extra time to let the paint cure, whether with a heatlamp, letting them dry for a day/night, or baking them in the oven. I always put on extra sealant between the lenses and housings to ensure no moisture gets in when it's all done. I would search for some threads about it on the lighting/retrofit forums, but I don't have time at work. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #29
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. I've done all mine in the sac heat I suppose so they are pretty well flashed off before I seal them. Maybe that's why. I usually allow about an hour before I seal mine up. I've only ever had one fog and it was because it didn't seal. I simply threw it back in the oven and pressed a little harder around the sealant and problem solved.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #30
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I'm down to help out. Mine are already black

Maybe I can do some other small mods

Old 12-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #31
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I'm down to help out. Mine are already black

Maybe I can do some other small mods
I'll bring my OME suspension. MJ an help me with that!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #32
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAsh View Post
I'll bring my OME suspension. MJ an help me with that!
LOL

I thought I was stretching it with my "other small mods" comment. But I was thinking of re-upholstering my rear door arm rests with neoprene Something doable while u guys bake your headlights

wait, did we decide on a day?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #33
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe we can say "mods that don't require lifting/jacking up the truck and don't render it inoperable."

And if no one else is weighing in on the day, I'm gonna stick with Dec 31.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #34
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Maybe we can say "mods that don't require lifting/jacking up the truck and don't render it inoperable."

And if no one else is weighing in on the day, I'm gonna stick with Dec 31.
I would say having no headlights could be considered inop. That and...Dec 31?? How many/much beds/floorspace do you have? I could see that being one drunken party later in the evening

Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That and...Dec 31?? How many/much beds/floorspace do you have? I could see that being one drunken party later in the evening

This.

Assuming I can break away without my wife being like WTF. I haven't run this past her yet.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #36
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would say having no headlights could be considered inop. That and...Dec 31?? How many/much beds/floorspace do you have? I could see that being one drunken party later in the evening
I see where you're coming from on that - but I'm not much of a partier anymore: 50+ years old, married, 3 kids and my 'ol dad who can't look out for himself anymore all living in the house. Oh, and I gave up booze about ten years ago. So you just wouldn't have to look very hard to find a more exciting New Years party than my place as the night comes on.

I'm really not trying to be inhospitable here - let's just call it truth in advertising.

SO - all that said, when's a good day to do this?

EDIT: Even though I don't drink, I've got nothing against anybody knocking back a brewski or a couple while getting a recreational job done. It's not supposed to be work, right? But like what Rucas was talking about earlier - a mod day where folks get completely pissed and completely forget about what they came to work on -- well I'm not into that.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #37

CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Dec 29th maybe? I could see that Saturday being better than the 22nd with Christmas and all. I could not do the weekend of January 5th.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #38
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
Mine are blacked out, but I'd down to meet some people for the first time. Also if anyone could help me with the dtrl mod.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #39
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbcm12 View Post
Mine are blacked out, but I'd down to meet some people for the first time. Also if anyone could help me with the dtrl mod.
DTRL is pie. You don't need help for it I can guide you thru that in a PM. LoL

Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #40
Jbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJbcm12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joshua
Jbcm12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
DTRL is pie. You don't need help for it I can guide you thru that in a PM. LoL
I don't understand it, I saw three tacos on the freeway with it today and since mine are blacked out I figured id look sick. Still would be nice to meet some tw members. I feel lonely with no one to talk tacomas with

Closed Thread