Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Is this a scam or is it real?

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question Is this a scam or is it real?

I found this site online called www.Burtonuksale.com I have been conversating back and forth about everything to a guy who has a gmail address. It seemed legitimate until I went and talked to him via email, here is the nature of our dialogue:

Date: 2012-12-12 10:35
To: burtonukservice
Subject: Message from Burton Sale
Email: Armygoat05@gmail.com

------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in your burton Sherlock blackjack board. I was wondering if
you guys offer any sort of military discount? Please let me know. I am
looking to buy a board very soon!! -Roberto

Office Use Only:
Email: Armygoat05@gmail.com
Login Name: Not logged in
Login Email: Not logged in
IP Address: 70.199.66.20 - 70.199.66.20
Host Address: 20.sub-70-199-66.myvzw.com
Date and Time: Tue Dec 11 2012 20:35:48 CST

Hello Roberto

It is our sale price now

Best regards

burtonukservice

Hello Roberto

Please place the order in our website directly,we will sip to you at once after the order confirm

Best regards

burtonukservice

Hello Roberto

Yes,we ship to USA now,please let us know the detail link of the snowboard you are interested

Best regards

burtonukservice

Hello Roberto

You can choose the size (Length (cm): 154, 157, 160, 163)

Then finish the payment at a Western Union Agent or online at www.westernunion.com.

Western Union:

First Name: Jiangshui

Last Name: Hu

Address: China

Zip Code: 362000

After you finish the payment pls send us the MTCN number, then we will arrange the Next Day Delivery for you.

Best Wishes

burtonukservice

The western union part is where I got doubtful. Look at the website and let me know what you guys think. It all sounds slightly fishy now.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
The Western Union info makes it 100% scam. Did a little digging into the site anyway, and all signs point to the same.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Domreis is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Domreis's Tacoma Gallery
I just did a Whois search that returns the site to a private registrar in panama.

I'm going to say it is a scam. If you click on shipping and returns the info hasn't even been completed.

I would avoid.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
IronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shedIronPig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Bad Cop, No Donut!
IronPig's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

I don't even want to click on the link, that is how sceptical I am. I deal with internet scams ALL the time doing what I do. One thing I have learned is that ANYTHING outside of the country you are out of luck. Obviously Canada is cool, UK, etc. but then odds of geting ripped off go up exponentially. The deal breaker for me is actually the Western Union payment. That is the best way to pick up payment anonymously and disappear. If these people were legit, why don't they have there own payment portal on their website, PayPal, etc?? You are taking a HUGE risk on this one and I would avoid it. Once your money is sent and it was a scam, there is NOTHING law enforcement can do for you....except laugh and shake their heads!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I am afraid now because I did see all the stuff you guys pointed out to but prior to posting this I did fill out some personal info about myself, nothing overly big but I did fill out my DOB on it. Idk if he wants to take money, do identity theft or both. I am obviously not doing the western union thing but should I be concerned about what I filled out on their checkout new member info?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Scam . Mess with him and say you sent the money . Then say you've sent it again .
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Mid Traveling

I wrote to him, this is what I wrote back to him in response..:

Quote:
I have sent you the payment in full, I request a 157 Sherlock Blackjack board. I also threw in an extra $30 out of sheer gratitude for your EXCELLENT customer service for the grand total being $334 sent over to you. Please kindly refund any additional money over to me that you will not be using in the sale. Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Western Union MTCN#: 8187499210
Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Lol
Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #10
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #12
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Subbd
Old 12-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed as well!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
he couldn't even tie an email address to his own website. FAIL