Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

NorCal Tire Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
audi0phile is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
audi0phile's Tacoma Gallery
NorCal Tire Thread

The idea is to document NorCal tire choices in this thread. Please specify make and model, tire size, and the truck you are running them on. Also detail your driving and off-roading habits and routines. Feel free to add on to this in case there are tires you a interested in or have previous experience.

For instance:

06 v6 6spd acs cab Tacoma.

285/75R16 Yokohama Geolander AT/S.

Mild offroading, mostly forest service road in the sierra and central Oregon. Have not had an issue with dirt traction, though never really wheeled in any seriousness. Frequent Tahoe trips throughout the year. Tires are excellent in rain, worked well enough in snow and ice (don't have another tire to compare to for snow driving). Drove them through bumper high snow, did not have trouble with traction. Managed to get the truck stuck in the drive way after the snow had melted and froze some, inexperienced driver could be to blame. Tires require frequent rotation or else they cup easily. Quiet (when rotated); my MBRP exhaust is louder than the tires, so I never noticed them until the cupping began.

Interested in either Goodyear Duratracs or the new Toyo Open Country AT2s.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Not sure what we're getting at here, there are more threads like this, but I'll play

07 DCLB V6 AT

285/70/17 BFGoodrich KM2's

Been through thick mud, clay, snow over my hood. Only been stuck once when I was screwing around and put myself in the invisible ditch buried under 4 feet of snow. Tires performed the best at 12 psi, but did not want to go lower and risk losing a bead. Worked well in the rocks, no chunking that I've noticed, but I dont go crazy with em.

Currently have 60k miles on tires.... due for new ones, but will probably survive another 10k if I had to. LOTS of highway miles. Will likely end up buying again, but tossing around the idea of something different.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Not sure what we're getting at here, there are more threads like this, but I'll play

07 DCLB V6 AT

285/70/17 BFGoodrich KM2's

Been through thick mud, clay, snow over my hood. Only been stuck once when I was screwing around and put myself in the invisible ditch buried under 4 feet of snow. Tires performed the best at 12 psi, but did not want to go lower and risk losing a bead. Worked well in the rocks, no chunking that I've noticed, but I dont go crazy with em.

Currently have 60k miles on tires.... due for new ones, but will probably survive another 10k if I had to. LOTS of highway miles. Will likely end up buying again, but tossing around the idea of something different.
^ lol
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
audi0phile is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
audi0phile's Tacoma Gallery
The idea is to give other NorCal residents, or potential residents an idea what Tacoma drivers use around here. The area is so diverse, it wouldn't hurt to keep track of what people are using.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
I recently got a new wheel/tire setup so here is my input so far

Toyo Open Country MT (265/70/17) on SCS Stealth6

I haven't taken it off road yet but it has made it way though snow and did fairly well. On road it performs pretty good and isn't as loud as I would expect for MTs.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
still running the same stock tires and wheels from toyota. they seem to do alright in bug puddles.. though, cars next to me keep vanishing when that happens..
Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Work truck

Cooper st max 265/75/16

have been through a set of BFG ATs, and Firestone desination ats, both same size

I'm off road everyday, so far the best all round tyre I've ever had

Play Truck

285/75/16 Firestone desination ATs and MTs

ATs good all rounder, but not up to the Coopers
MTs great off road, handle everything from rocks to mud, aired down to 9 psi
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
EG.phone.home is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Civil Engineer
Name: Evan
EG.phone.home's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Firestone destination m/t's, handles like an artic cat in snow, very loud for daily driving if you dont do alot of off roading.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
08' DCSB v6 At OR
285 70 r17 BFG all terrains. First tires I put on after I bought the truck used, no complaints so far. Their nice and quiet rolling down the road. I chose the at's because of the long tread life and how quiet they are. They gum up in mud but its my DD and I don't need a nasty MT tire.

Brett
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Ill contribute
'08 DCSB 6spd
BFG All Terrain T/A KO 265/75/16

Mostly around town and highway, but I do some moderate off roading as well. Desert runs, mountain runs, all over the place.
Dont think Ill ever get another kind of tire either..
Old 01-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
^ Benjamin Franklin Goodrich (BFG) fan for sure

Brett
Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
quattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shedquattrokiwi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bruce
quattrokiwi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG.phone.home View Post
^^ Firestone destination m/t's, handles like an artic cat in snow, very loud for daily driving if you dont do alot of off roading.
yep the MTs are are a bit noisy, but note the second set of ATs, which is what I use most of the time. Not sure what "handles like an artic cat in snow" means, Good?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
cooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of lightcooktaco is a glorious beacon of light

cooktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Firestone Destination A/T 265/75/16. Tons of research before I bought and they seemed like a good fit for the price.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #14
EG.phone.home is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Civil Engineer
Name: Evan
EG.phone.home's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrokiwi View Post
yep the MTs are are a bit noisy, but note the second set of ATs, which is what I use most of the time. Not sure what "handles like an artic cat in snow" means, Good?
Haha yes very good, like a snowmobile. Took a 3 hour detour through the siskyious when I5 north was shutdown, only lost control when I was trying too.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
1992 pickup v6 4WD
31x10.5x15 BFG all terrains
I do a lot of highway driving (between San Diego and Davis) and these tires actually improved my gas mileage when I put them on. Very little road noise, too. For off road I've done rocky/gravelly roads, granite forest roads, and granite+sand desert roads. I found a little chunking after I tried a loose rocky hill before I had an air compressor so I was still at a high pressure and had a lot of spinning. My only snow experience with them was before the compressor, so they didn't do so well, but I haven't tested them aired down in the snow...yet. Since I've had a compressor, I drop down to between 20 and 30psi in forest and desert trails and they've been awesome so far! At Slickrock I dragged the sidewall across a sharp rock and came out of there with only a small smudge, so the sidewalls are very strong.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
otis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to beholdotis24 is a splendid one to behold

otis24's Tacoma Gallery
2003 V6 AC TRD OD 4WD
Crappy General Grabber AW tires.

I'm looking to upgrade to something that can handle off road a little better but spent all my money on a suspension upgrade, camper shell and some other things when I got the truck in December.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
1999 Tacoma 4X4 Extended Cab 2.7L AT

Michelin LTX AT2 265/70-16 (stock size) on stock rims

Love these tires and they are my only set. Pricey but worth it.
Truck is my daily driver and off-road toy. These tires are very quiet on the road, at all speeds, and very grippy in all situations except powder snow, mud and sand. Aired down enough, they should do pretty well in snow and sand, but haven't really tested that. I mostly do mild to moderate offroading in the Tahoe and Death Valley areas.

Just got back from our annual Death Valley trip where we did the Echo Canyon trail (moderate trail except for one difficult 'dry waterfall'). Had no problems.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #18
spitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspitfire501 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austin
spitfire501's Tacoma Gallery
ok I guess I'll join in now

09 DCSB V6 2wd
275/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT/3

These tires have treated me great. They get me through mud, snow, big puddles that I like to splash through I tow with them and have no issue. Even though I am 2wd once i get an air locker the times where I do lose traction will be gone since I am losing traction due to that damn open diff. Oh and they sound pretty mean on pavement too. Not too loud but they are there if you listen. I had them on my 4wd v8 tahoe before i got my truck and they were just as killer on that too!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious what are the most amount of miles you guy are getting out of tires? Alot of people complain that Michelin tires are too expensive but i get over 100k out of a set of tires usually. My michelin at2 on my last truck looked brand new at 20k when my truck was totaled. Been waiting for my ltx tires to wear out on my new tacoma (came with them) but they just keep going. They have 89000 miles on them and there is far too much tread to consider throwing them out.

IMO the extra miles out of my tires justifies the extra price.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 AM   #20
thebaker will become famous soon enoughthebaker will become famous soon enough

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
2009 V6 DCSB 4x4

P265/75/16 Hankook Dynopro ATM's

Was just up in Tahoe the past couple days when it snowed and the tires where awesome. I have only had them on for a little over 1000 miles but so far so good. I went with the P-rated tire because I don't wheel...mostly street, snow, and every now and then some dirt roads. The plus was I got an a killer deal and the P-rated have a 50,000 mile warranty!!!!