Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Noob needs help/advice please. Re : Powertrax install

Old 12-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
v1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to all
v1ndictiv3's Tacoma Gallery
Noob needs help/advice please. Re : Powertrax install

Hello all!

So I have a brand new powertrax no slip locker still in its box from a year ago which my godfather was supposed to help me install but he's been too busy with his shop so I've decided I'd like to learn how to install it. Problem is I'm a noob with most things mechanical and I don't have tools nor space to do it on my own. With that said, I'd really like to learn how to install it and if any of you guys would be willing to help I can offer beer, food, and my time. Most importantly I just want to learn my way around the taco. I'm always free on weekends so I'm more than willing to give my time and effort to helping out another in exchange for helping me. Of course I'll provide food and drinks thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Happy holidays!

Calvin
Old 12-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
The general rule of thumb here is if you offer beer, king eggroll, and garage space, a group of us will come by to help out. the best choices are usually saturdays or sundays.

but the location would be an issue.

so your godfather w/ the shop, would he be willing to host an afterhours work party at his shop?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
hmm.. lockers are bit beyond the scope of most of us here. ( well more than anything that's been done on any mod day as of late )
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
v1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to allv1ndictiv3 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
The general rule of thumb here is if you offer beer, king eggroll, and garage space, a group of us will come by to help out. the best choices are usually saturdays or sundays.

but the location would be an issue.

so your godfather w/ the shop, would he be willing to host an afterhours work party at his shop?
Unfortunately he's located in Concord and swamped with work so when he's not working on weekdays he's out with the family.

I know it'd be a longshot but I figured I'd ask here anyway just in case someone else had one to install and needed an extra set of hands as well. I have another mechanic friend who I might be able to bribe to assist me in coming months but he's really busy on the regular with his shop so I don't know when he'd have time for my lil Taco

On a completely different note, I know there's write-ups on here for things like how to change spark plugs/tranny oils and such, and as my truck has just passed 150,000 I'm fixing on tackling these maintenance jobs in the near future; with that said, if anyone is intending on doing any work on their truck in the near future and needs an extra set of hands, I'm free on weekends and looking to help and learn. I'm really just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible and I'm more of a "hands on learner" so if anyone needs help with anything, send me a pm and I'd be willing to work out some time to help out.

Happy New Year's all.

Cheers.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, the tune up can be done at a mod day for sure. Just setup a day and see if you get any takers.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I had been reading the install for the locker for 1st gen tacomas somewhere on ttora or yotatech via a google search. the install seemed pretty simple. Can you post a scan of the instructions here?

From what I've read, anyone who's taken a headlight apart would find it even easier to replace the rear diff.

The install requires simple hand tools.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Earlier I was saying a diff carrier replacement requires specialized skills and setting backlash on the diff isn't a bolt up job.

But I was perusing this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...lockright.html

and the powertrax website - it seems the powertrax may be in the category of "lunchbox" lockers which don't replace the complete carrier and don't require re-setting the gear backlash. In which case it's more of a "bolt up" installation more accessible to the DIYer.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Thanks for links and help y'all. Managed to convince a buddy to help me out on this one. Thx again for insight.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ndictiv3 View Post
Thanks for links and help y'all. Managed to convince a buddy to help me out on this one. Thx again for insight.
I live in Concord, where in Concord are you?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I live in Concord, where in Concord are you?
thx but I already got another buddy to agree and help me out in coming month. And I'm in Millbrae. Thx though.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Dude definitely left some steps out. Make sure you clean the ring gear really well, be careful not to knick it or the carrier. Clean the carrier well too. If there are any high spots, hit them with a file lightly. Use new ring gear bolts, loctite, and torque per spec. Oh and mark carrier and ring gear and put them together the same way they came apart. Keep the shims separate too.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Dude definitely left some steps out. Make sure you clean the ring gear really well, be careful not to knick it or the carrier. Clean the carrier well too. If there are any high spots, hit them with a file lightly. Use new ring gear bolts, loctite, and torque per spec. Oh and mark carrier and ring gear and put them together the same way they came apart. Keep the shims separate too.
Thx so much for info!