1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob needs help/advice please. Re : Powertrax install

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by v1ndictiv3, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Dec 27, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    v1ndictiv3

v1ndictiv3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    '98 PreRunner Xtra Cab 2.7L
    Mostly stock: AFE Pro Dry S Filter, Bedrug, Leer Shell, 265/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler RT, Husky Liners, Wet Okole seat covers... Powertrax No-Slip in the near future =)
    Hello all!

So I have a brand new powertrax no slip locker still in its box from a year ago which my godfather was supposed to help me install but he's been too busy with his shop so I've decided I'd like to learn how to install it. Problem is I'm a noob with most things mechanical and I don't have tools nor space to do it on my own. With that said, I'd really like to learn how to install it and if any of you guys would be willing to help I can offer beer, food, and my time. Most importantly I just want to learn my way around the taco. I'm always free on weekends so I'm more than willing to give my time and effort to helping out another in exchange for helping me. Of course I'll provide food and drinks :D thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Happy holidays!

Calvin

2. Dec 28, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    The general rule of thumb here is if you offer beer, king eggroll, and garage space, a group of us will come by to help out. the best choices are usually saturdays or sundays.

but the location would be an issue.

so your godfather w/ the shop, would he be willing to host an afterhours work party at his shop?

3. Dec 28, 2012 at 10:28 AM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    hmm.. lockers are bit beyond the scope of most of us here. ( well more than anything that's been done on any mod day as of late )

4. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    v1ndictiv3

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Mostly stock: AFE Pro Dry S Filter, Bedrug, Leer Shell, 265/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler RT, Husky Liners, Wet Okole seat covers... Powertrax No-Slip in the near future =)
    Unfortunately he's located in Concord and swamped with work so when he's not working on weekdays he's out with the family.

I know it'd be a longshot but I figured I'd ask here anyway just in case someone else had one to install and needed an extra set of hands as well. I have another mechanic friend who I might be able to bribe to assist me in coming months but he's really busy on the regular with his shop so I don't know when he'd have time for my lil Taco :(

On a completely different note, I know there's write-ups on here for things like how to change spark plugs/tranny oils and such, and as my truck has just passed 150,000 I'm fixing on tackling these maintenance jobs in the near future; with that said, if anyone is intending on doing any work on their truck in the near future and needs an extra set of hands, I'm free on weekends and looking to help and learn. I'm really just trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible and I'm more of a "hands on learner" so if anyone needs help with anything, send me a pm and I'd be willing to work out some time to help out.

Happy New Year's all.

Cheers. :D

5. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    Cool, the tune up can be done at a mod day for sure. Just setup a day and see if you get any takers.

6. Dec 28, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    Well, I had been reading the install for the locker for 1st gen tacomas somewhere on ttora or yotatech via a google search. the install seemed pretty simple. Can you post a scan of the instructions here?

From what I've read, anyone who's taken a headlight apart would find it even easier to replace the rear diff.

The install requires simple hand tools.

7. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Earlier I was saying a diff carrier replacement requires specialized skills and setting backlash on the diff isn't a bolt up job.

But I was perusing this thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/134446-how-richmond-gears-powertrax-lockright.html

and the powertrax website - it seems the powertrax may be in the category of "lunchbox" lockers which don't replace the complete carrier and don't require re-setting the gear backlash. In which case it's more of a "bolt up" installation more accessible to the DIYer.

8. Dec 30, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    v1ndictiv3

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for links and help y'all. Managed to convince a buddy to help me out on this one. Thx again for insight.

9. Dec 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    I live in Concord, where in Concord are you?

10. Dec 30, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    v1ndictiv3

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    thx but I already got another buddy to agree and help me out in coming month. And I'm in Millbrae. Thx though. :)

11. Dec 30, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Dude definitely left some steps out. Make sure you clean the ring gear really well, be careful not to knick it or the carrier. Clean the carrier well too. If there are any high spots, hit them with a file lightly. Use new ring gear bolts, loctite, and torque per spec. Oh and mark carrier and ring gear and put them together the same way they came apart. Keep the shims separate too.

12. Dec 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM
    v1ndictiv3

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    Thx so much for info! :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top