1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield pelted on i80 to Truckee

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by 05SuperChrg, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    05SuperChrg

05SuperChrg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    Hi NorCal Tacomaworld-

I am curious how many of you drive up to Tahoe and do not get riddled by rocks on your windshields? I drove up 2x in the past 3 weeks and have a spider crack and huge hole in my windshield, not to mention the dozens of other pits in the glass. I have to replace the windshield from these excursions.

How do you prevent the taco windshield from getting replaced every year, assuming you drive to the snow once or twice a year?

Thanks all

2. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    The aerodynamics on the truck are the issue.

I had a bug guard on and it only made it worse.

Best bet is to give yourself a hundred yards between cars.

Oh and get some insurance that covers the windshield. Mine has been cracked for 45 of the 48 months I have owned it. Now it looks like someone shot it with a shotgun.

3. Jan 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

I don't wanna sound like too much of an ass but stay off of peoples asses and you'll be fine. You know that kinda stuff is gonna be on the road. No one is driving THAT fast in it, you stay a few car lengths behind and you'll be just fine.

Now if you're following a truck and he doesn't have mud flaps, then you have a case, but really, learn to keep your distance and you'll be fine. Been there done that.

And in answer to your question, I've been going up at least once a week since snow season started and no problems

4. Jan 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    mike1025

mike1025 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Firestone ride-rites airbag, bed speakers, bull bar and 14" light bar
    Last year I was driving up and a gust of wind threw sand destroying the paint on my bumper. Also left a whole bunch of nicks and pitting on the windshield along with 2-3 cracks. It isn't just following too closely(there wasn't another car within 200 feet of me).

This year, no problems(and I've been making the trek to Reno a lot more than last year).

5. Jan 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    Haa stay off people's ass a good one, when I leave a quarter mile of room from the car in front of me guess what happens?

Ding ding to the genius in the front row- a Toyota corolla cuts in front of me and hits his brakes. And as far as I know corollas don't have mud flaps, and yes that is the exact thing that happened Monday afternoon. It was a beige corolla to be exact.

I had a truck in the other lane toss a rock and caused a spider crack as well

6. Jan 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Ah that sucks man. I hate how people are like that around here. Trucks you can go after for rocks flying... but for trucks though, unfortunately its gonna happen. Does this state have a free windshield regulation/law? Massachusetts has a law to get a free windshield a year primarily because of this exact reason.

7. Jan 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    I think the problem is the size of the rocks that CalTrans places on the roads combined with vehicles that have aggressive tire treads and vehicles that ride high. The rocks are caught in the treads and spun upwards- small or lower vehicles (my truck is lifted) will drive under the projectile.

Since we cannot salt roads we use sand and rock. Is this a CalTrans issue using more granular material?

8. Jan 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    As far as I can tell from just now reading a caltrans brochure, salt is still used on the roads. CMA is used as an alternative but is not as effective. Sand should be used on snow packed roads as a traction additive, but the DOT should be responsible for sweeping the road clear once its no longer needed.

Sounds like you're just finding the bottom of the bin with these rocks but I couldn't tell you. They should never be dropping gravel on a road.

Anything on the free windshield a year here?

9. Jan 9, 2013 at 10:39 PM
    kalieaire

kalieaire i didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Member:
    Santa Clara County
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road 4x4 AC V6 6MT
    Adventure Trailers Atlas, Demello Sliders, BAMF Skids, PelfreyBilt Bumpers, SCS Ray 10
    i was gonna say... maybe the problem isn't driving far enough away but not close enough. :p

10. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    friends of muh family used to own a trucking co.
    rolled belly dumps... hauled gravel and dirt.

Were a lot of complaints regarding material falling from the trailers.

The company set up a fund acct. specifically to address that issue.
    Oddly... tho' some complaints and repairs came and were honored
    There were less then was expected and allocated for.

just sayin' 'cause...

if ya ever get a booger'd windshield
    when following behind a commercial dirt/rock hauler
    be sure to note time, location, license #, Truck Co. name, material...
    then call the company with yer complaint.

They'll likely make correction

Products Discussed in

To Top