Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Windshield pelted on i80 to Truckee

Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
05SuperChrg is on a distinguished road
05SuperChrg's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield pelted on i80 to Truckee

Hi NorCal Tacomaworld-

I am curious how many of you drive up to Tahoe and do not get riddled by rocks on your windshields? I drove up 2x in the past 3 weeks and have a spider crack and huge hole in my windshield, not to mention the dozens of other pits in the glass. I have to replace the windshield from these excursions.

How do you prevent the taco windshield from getting replaced every year, assuming you drive to the snow once or twice a year?

Thanks all
Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
The aerodynamics on the truck are the issue.

I had a bug guard on and it only made it worse.

Best bet is to give yourself a hundred yards between cars.

Oh and get some insurance that covers the windshield. Mine has been cracked for 45 of the 48 months I have owned it. Now it looks like someone shot it with a shotgun.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SuperChrg View Post
Hi NorCal Tacomaworld-

I am curious how many of you drive up to Tahoe and do not get riddled by rocks on your windshields? I drove up 2x in the past 3 weeks and have a spider crack and huge hole in my windshield, not to mention the dozens of other pits in the glass. I have to replace the windshield from these excursions.

How do you prevent the taco windshield from getting replaced every year, assuming you drive to the snow once or twice a year?

Thanks all

I don't wanna sound like too much of an ass but stay off of peoples asses and you'll be fine. You know that kinda stuff is gonna be on the road. No one is driving THAT fast in it, you stay a few car lengths behind and you'll be just fine.

Now if you're following a truck and he doesn't have mud flaps, then you have a case, but really, learn to keep your distance and you'll be fine. Been there done that.

And in answer to your question, I've been going up at least once a week since snow season started and no problems
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
mike1025 is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
mike1025's Tacoma Gallery
Last year I was driving up and a gust of wind threw sand destroying the paint on my bumper. Also left a whole bunch of nicks and pitting on the windshield along with 2-3 cracks. It isn't just following too closely(there wasn't another car within 200 feet of me).

This year, no problems(and I've been making the trek to Reno a lot more than last year).
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Haa stay off people's ass a good one, when I leave a quarter mile of room from the car in front of me guess what happens?

Ding ding to the genius in the front row- a Toyota corolla cuts in front of me and hits his brakes. And as far as I know corollas don't have mud flaps, and yes that is the exact thing that happened Monday afternoon. It was a beige corolla to be exact.

I had a truck in the other lane toss a rock and caused a spider crack as well
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SuperChrg View Post
Haa stay off people's ass a good one, when I leave a quarter mile of room from the car in front of me guess what happens?

Ding ding to the genius in the front row- a Toyota corolla cuts in front of me and hits his brakes. And as far as I know corollas don't have mud flaps, and yes that is the exact thing that happened Monday afternoon. It was a beige corolla to be exact.

I had a truck in the other lane toss a rock and caused a spider crack as well
Ah that sucks man. I hate how people are like that around here. Trucks you can go after for rocks flying... but for trucks though, unfortunately its gonna happen. Does this state have a free windshield regulation/law? Massachusetts has a law to get a free windshield a year primarily because of this exact reason.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
I think the problem is the size of the rocks that CalTrans places on the roads combined with vehicles that have aggressive tire treads and vehicles that ride high. The rocks are caught in the treads and spun upwards- small or lower vehicles (my truck is lifted) will drive under the projectile.

Since we cannot salt roads we use sand and rock. Is this a CalTrans issue using more granular material?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I can tell from just now reading a caltrans brochure, salt is still used on the roads. CMA is used as an alternative but is not as effective. Sand should be used on snow packed roads as a traction additive, but the DOT should be responsible for sweeping the road clear once its no longer needed.

Sounds like you're just finding the bottom of the bin with these rocks but I couldn't tell you. They should never be dropping gravel on a road.

Anything on the free windshield a year here?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #9
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
i was gonna say... maybe the problem isn't driving far enough away but not close enough. :P
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
friends of muh family used to own a trucking co.
rolled belly dumps... hauled gravel and dirt.

Were a lot of complaints regarding material falling from the trailers.

The company set up a fund acct. specifically to address that issue.
Oddly... tho' some complaints and repairs came and were honored
There were less then was expected and allocated for.

just sayin' 'cause...

if ya ever get a booger'd windshield
when following behind a commercial dirt/rock hauler
be sure to note time, location, license #, Truck Co. name, material...
then call the company with yer complaint.

They'll likely make correction