Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Anyone down to take on a blown head gasket job in Norcal?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
grand is on a distinguished road
grand's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone down to take on a blown head gasket job in Norcal?

Im new on this forum. Hello!

Im located in Alameda. I can pay in cash and or beer, hell, even hard liquor. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included. Depending how efficient you are to get this done, tiddy bar I can take you there too!

I have a 97 Tacoma 4 cylinder, base model 5speed. Theres coolant in one of the cylinders and im running on 3 cylinders. I did not drive the car once I noticed this issue.

I hoping someone thats capable of doing this job locally. I want to avoid the dealership rape session as much as I can.

Anyone down to help a brother out?

John
Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
I wish i could, but i swore off side jobs 2 years ago. I will ask some guys i used to work with.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Should take you about 4hours said and done. Its easy, good luck.. I've done them plenty.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
The older the bear, the sweeter the juice
DangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to beholdDangerTaco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Max
DangerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i have no experience with that but willing to help, howdy neighbor, hayward here.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
Walker is on a distinguished road
Name: Walker
Walker's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you get the head resurfaced when you do the head gasket and while you at it why dont you do a valve job, thats what i do everytime i pull a head.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
I can do it. 1500 though. I can take partial payment in kettle corn. lol
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
gixxerguy01 is on a distinguished road
gixxerguy01's Tacoma Gallery
Head gasket job will take about 2 days. Depends on turn around time on machine shop. You should send the cylinder head to a machine shop for pressure testing & resurfacing before reinstalling it. Straight edge the block to check for warpage. Make sure all surfaces are prepared & clean. Good time to do a valve adjustment by replacing shims that are out of spec.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 AM   #8
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
Just a note, I believe the 3RZ-FE head bolts are TTY, so you'll need a new set every time you take it off.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerguy01 View Post
Head gasket job will take about 2 days. Depends on turn around time on machine shop. You should send the cylinder head to a machine shop for pressure testing & resurfacing before reinstalling it. Straight edge the block to check for warpage. Make sure all surfaces are prepared & clean. Good time to do a valve adjustment by replacing shims that are out of spec.
Maybe a magnaflux too?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
gixxerguy01 is on a distinguished road
gixxerguy01's Tacoma Gallery
You cannot magnaflux aluminum. Pressure testing is one way to check for cracks on aluminum heads.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You cannot magnaflux aluminum. Pressure testing is one way to check for cracks on aluminum heads.
Dye penetrant is what works for aluminum. Magnaflux or dye penetrant on steel.

What was the cause for the blown gasket? It will be a key factor on if it's worth replacing the gasket, or the whole engine.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Didn't know they were aluminum. Last truck I owned had cast heads so it came to mind.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #13
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Didn't know they were aluminum. Last truck I owned had cast heads so it came to mind.

Hasen't every yota yead since the late 70's been aluminum. I can't think of one thats not.

when i redbuilt my 2rz head i re-used head bolts and had no issues. As long as you check thickness of bolts and clean out bolt threads with a tap and compressed air you should be fine. Now tourging down an iron head is a different story and i wouldn't recomend re-using those bolts even though did once cause they typically are good for one re-usage.
I would never take the head off without making sure it needed re-surfacing and cheking for leaky valves. So it could be 4-6 hours or several days depending on what shape its in.