Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

where to get toyota oem oil filter in sac

Old 01-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
adower is on a distinguished road
adower's Tacoma Gallery
where to get toyota oem oil filter in sac

Where can I get a oem oil filter other than dealer. I tried autozone and napa.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
whiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhiteboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
whiteboy's Tacoma Gallery
I think only dealers will have them. Do yourself a favor and order them in bulk online. They usually have a ten pack for cheap. Look in the deals section on here. Someone posted a link to a site with a 10 pack for $39. I ordered some myself.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
X2 I ordered a box of 10 from trdparts4u.com. But ya only toyota dealers will have the oem

Brett
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
If I were you, I'd be looking for the 90915-20004 filters for my truck, it's the filter that Toyota uses as the factory installed filter for the V6 and V8 engines, and before they used it on the 2JZGTE and 1JZGTE motors. IIRC, they still use this style of filter for Japan manufactured models, albeit in smaller sizes for smaller engines like the 1st gen xb, iq, Prius, Corolla, and Tacoma 4-cyl.

What's so special about these filters is that instead of the conventional paper pleated media they use a special foam density/solid/depth media filter. It's a sponge media that's porous enough to allow oil to passthrough, but fine enough to capture all the little bits of metal floating around your engine. It does such a great job at taking out contaminants before your first oil change that toyota give you a conventional paper-pleated 90915-YZZD3 filter at your first oil change 5,000 miles and on. At least this is what I like to believe, that our engines don't need fancy media filters after 5,000 miles, not the fact that the 90915-20004 retails for 4x times the cost of a 90915-YZZD3, and that toyota service centers are using the YZZD3 because it's cheaper to to the service center.

Most dealerships in the USA do not sell this filter anymore. Those dealerships, that do sell these filters, have very limited quantites or at a highly marked up price. For a dealership to stock the filter, they are generally required by the Denso Distributor to purchase these in quantities of ~300 at a time. Most dealerships don't want to commit that amount of money for a filter that costs any amount more than the "accepted" replacement filter.

Here are a couple of places that you can still find it:

http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Toyota-L...-/321056496685

This photo shows the actual solid depth filter media. As you can see it's fibrous like the normal paper media filter, but there's just so much more of it that it acts like a sponge at the same time. Flow rate is amazing and this works great for engines that require high oil flow like the 1JZ-GTE

This filter is the aftermath of an oil change at ~600 miles from a new 2nd get 4-cyl Tacoma.

At any rate, I'm super paranoid so I bought a crap ton of these when they were still easily availble and I insist on the dealership using my filters and putting in synthetic oil during the change.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
iTz IAN is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
iTz IAN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
I think only dealers will have them. Do yourself a favor and order them in bulk online. They usually have a ten pack for cheap. Look in the deals section on here. Someone posted a link to a site with a 10 pack for $39. I ordered some myself.
there $4 at toyota dealers in SD
Old 01-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
adower is on a distinguished road
adower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalieaire View Post
If I were you, I'd be looking for the 90915-20004 filters for my truck, it's the filter that Toyota uses as the factory installed filter for the V6 and V8 engines, and before they used it on the 2JZGTE and 1JZGTE motors. IIRC, they still use this style of filter for Japan manufactured models, albeit in smaller sizes for smaller engines like the 1st gen xb, iq, Prius, Corolla, and Tacoma 4-cyl.

What's so special about these filters is that instead of the conventional paper pleated media they use a special foam density/solid/depth media filter. It's a sponge media that's porous enough to allow oil to passthrough, but fine enough to capture all the little bits of metal floating around your engine. It does such a great job at taking out contaminants before your first oil change that toyota give you a conventional paper-pleated 90915-YZZD3 filter at your first oil change 5,000 miles and on. At least this is what I like to believe, that our engines don't need fancy media filters after 5,000 miles, not the fact that the 90915-20004 retails for 4x times the cost of a 90915-YZZD3, and that toyota service centers are using the YZZD3 because it's cheaper to to the service center.

Most dealerships in the USA do not sell this filter anymore. Those dealerships, that do sell these filters, have very limited quantites or at a highly marked up price. For a dealership to stock the filter, they are generally required by the Denso Distributor to purchase these in quantities of ~300 at a time. Most dealerships don't want to commit that amount of money for a filter that costs any amount more than the "accepted" replacement filter.

Here are a couple of places that you can still find it:

http://l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Toyota-L...-/321056496685

This photo shows the actual solid depth filter media. As you can see it's fibrous like the normal paper media filter, but there's just so much more of it that it acts like a sponge at the same time. Flow rate is amazing and this works great for engines that require high oil flow like the 1JZ-GTE

This filter is the aftermath of an oil change at ~600 miles from a new 2nd get 4-cyl Tacoma.

At any rate, I'm super paranoid so I bought a crap ton of these when they were still easily availble and I insist on the dealership using my filters and putting in synthetic oil during the change.
Right on. I found these for 8.25$ a pop. Had to order 10 though.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Pictographer
triplejjj has a spectacular aura abouttriplejjj has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jerry
triplejjj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adower View Post
Right on. I found these for 8.25$ a pop. Had to order 10 though.
Where did you get them at that price? tia
Old 06-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
tsab916 has a spectacular aura abouttsab916 has a spectacular aura abouttsab916 has a spectacular aura about

tsab916's Tacoma Gallery
Try HB auto parts on stockton blvd and 65th...its a small mom and pops auto parts store but they carry mostly OEM parts and hard to find parts that you can only get at the dealer like those little washers for fuel lines...
Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Pictographer
triplejjj has a spectacular aura abouttriplejjj has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jerry
triplejjj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsab916 View Post
Try HB auto parts on stockton blvd and 65th...its a small mom and pops auto parts store but they carry mostly OEM parts and hard to find parts that you can only get at the dealer like those little washers for fuel lines...
Thanks, I found them online at L-tuneparts.com and ordered a few already.