Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Tips on buying a new Tacoma this weekend...

Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
adower is on a distinguished road
adower's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you do, tell them what YOU want to pay. DONT let them get into the "well we can give it to you for XXX$ a month" game.

You have the cash, you have the upper hand!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleraiders View Post
but i am second guessing if i should get a V6 or not
I take it you haven't driven both? When I was considering getting a second gen, I first drove the v6 and was pretty surprised by how fast it gets up to speed. I drove an i4 after and laughed. You're definitely not going to win any races. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't drive very fast at all. YMMV. For the difference of a couple mpg the v6 is way more fun.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #23
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
pick a couple of dealers in the area and email them at the same time in the email. they'll bargain with one another.

once you get the best price, find another dealer in the area that's closest to you and see if they'll beat that price.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
aleraiders is on a distinguished road
aleraiders's Tacoma Gallery
Well...here is how it went...i loved the '11 white TRD(15K miles at $26-28K)....and loved a '09 charcoal V6 4D pre runner (50K miles at $21K)

i kept telling them i was browsing and not in a rush to buy right now...so they told me the usual...they move fast...it might now be here etc etc...every car i looked at they wanted me to test drive...

does anyone think i can get the white TRD to $20K? whats a realistic price in cash? anyone know the trade in value of the '11 white TRD 15K miles on it?

good thing theres a nissan dealership right next to the toyota lot
Old 02-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #25
kalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shedkalieaire is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Stanley
kalieaire's Tacoma Gallery
$16,900 - 2006 w/ 75k miles, double cab w/ manual transmission - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/3599027572.html

this is a pretty rare find, and if you're going off roading, definitely go w/ the manual transmission. this is also an offroad model and comes w/ the rear diff lock.

--
Another consideration, if you do plan to pack on the mods, an SR5 is a good choice since then you can upgrade to an air locker (front and rear) and not worry about the added expense of ATRAC.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #26
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
buy an 05-08.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
buy an 05-08.
stupid question....y?

also saw a '11 black 4d 4cy at 22K..mayb i can get him down to 15-18K
Old 02-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsorcic View Post
Check for drive line vibration at takeoff from a stop light or trying to merge into freeway traffic from a stop light. ... Stomp on the gas and see how it goes! You can decide from there on.
... ^^^ ... Very smart ... ... I have those "driveline vibration cooties" in my new truck ...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go v6 if its your primary vehicle and you plan to drive it on trips . 20k not going to happen .
Old 02-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I think its safe to say you could knock 3k off of MSRP.

Also remeber that there is more room for negotiating the price on a used vehicle.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #31
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
stupid question....y?

also saw a '11 black 4d 4cy at 22K..mayb i can get him down to 15-18K
you want a 06-08 made at NUMMI. it will say where its made on the inside of the drivers door. 09+ started with VSC and safety star shit which made ABS super obnoxiously sensitive. also, you cant ever COMPLETELY disable VSC which sucks. also, workers at NUMMI were told sometime in 09 they were losing jobs, and we all know how people act when you take away their means to support their families... quality goes to shit. when it comes to v6's, you want an automatic transmission, its .5 seconds quicker, and a much stronger tranny. the 6-speeds have a common issue with thei throwout bearing breaking, and since the throwout bearing on that transmission is part of the bell housing, you basically have to replace the whole thing. also, when it comes to v6's, pre 09, pop the hood and make sure there is no oil leakage from the timing chain cover on the front of the engine. there is a TSB for it, and it doesnt leak enough to damage anything, but better to get it taken care of before you take delivery than after (if buying from a dealer, could work to your advantage if buying private party... "knock 5k off for it leaking oil" then walk away with a fuck of a deal).

why buy trucks made at NUMMI? here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...s-tacomas.html

build quality is better twice as many times as it is in Mexico
Old 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #32
so after visiting most of the toyota's dealerships in the bay area....i pretty much have a good list of my favorites to buy....

all 4 door

1. '11 white trd ($26k - 14k miles)
2. '11 black ($22K - 13K miles - 4cyl)
3. a new '13 charcoal gray ($21K - 4cyl)
4. '09 charcoal gray ($23k - 50K - V6)

what do u guys think?? i pretty much made up my mind on any of these.. its just how much cash these guys want on the spot...

my dilemma....

should i go for a V6? or not? my galant almost has as much HP as a tacoma 4 cyl...so thats keeping me up at night...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #33
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1ndictiv3 View Post
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/co...-salesman.html

lengthy read but worth it in my opinion
... ^^^ ... Great read for any buyer ... even to refresh your older negotiating skills ...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
bump...
Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #35
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so after visiting most of the toyota's dealerships in the bay area....i pretty much have a good list of my favorites to buy....

all 4 door

1. '11 white trd ($26k - 14k miles)
2. '11 black ($22K - 13K miles - 4cyl)
3. a new '13 charcoal gray ($21K - 4cyl)
4. '09 charcoal gray ($23k - 50K - V6)

what do u guys think?? i pretty much made up my mind on any of these.. its just how much cash these guys want on the spot...

my dilemma....

should i go for a V6? or not? my galant almost has as much HP as a tacoma 4 cyl...so thats keeping me up at night...
I would be a little leery of the 4 banger in a double cab, that engine has to work awfully hard to move that much vehicle.
The 11 white TRD seems a tid bit high to me, maybe a couple grand cheaper could be had if you're paying cash for it.
The 09 could be had for a little less too.
Like I said these trucks are heavy, IMO I wouldn't want a DBCB 4 banger. Why do you think you want a 4 over a 6?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
I would be a little leery of the 4 banger in a double cab, that engine has to work awfully hard to move that much vehicle.
The 11 white TRD seems a tid bit high to me, maybe a couple grand cheaper could be had if you're paying cash for it.
The 09 could be had for a little less too.
Like I said these trucks are heavy, IMO I wouldn't want a DBCB 4 banger. Why do you think you want a 4 over a 6?
Good point...its not going to make that much difference mpg wise...also I'd rather have a v6 and not use the extra horse power ...than if I get a 4 cyl and might need it one day