1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tips on buying a new Tacoma this weekend...

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by aleraiders, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Feb 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    aleraiders

aleraiders [OP] Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Future Owner
    So i've saved up about 25k in cash....i was looking at a dark gray 4 cyl 4 door priced at about 25K or so....any tips?

ive read some tips like...

going on the last weekend of the month...setting a price before even mentioning cash or credit...short answers so he cant size me up...

any others??

plus how much can he knock off the msrp? (25k)

tell me what you guys think....i send about 6 emails a few nights ago at around 9pm....thinking that the next morning they would call back or email...well at 9:47pm one dealer called me asking me about what type of car i wanted etc etc...is that somewhat desperate?

2. Feb 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Make sure it comes with the kegerator.

But yeah it sounds like you have it figured out pretty well already. I don't have a lot of experience with buying cars so I don't honestly have a lot of advice to give.

3. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    JW87

JW87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JW
    Richmond,VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB
    American Racing black bajas with Cooper RTXs 265/70/17. Black Depo tail lights. LED interior, license plate and reverse lights.Debadged. OME 885 coils and Dakar leaf packs. OME Nitros front and back.
    I got screwed they did a credit check before they even let me test drive.

4. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    bdsorcic

bdsorcic Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Milwaukee
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Limited
    None as of yet
    Check for drive line vibration at takeoff from a stop light or trying to merge into freeway traffic from a stop light. ... Stomp on the gas and see how it goes! You can decide from there on.

5. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    aleraiders

aleraiders [OP] Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Future Owner
  6. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Use Truecar and Edmunds. They give what is supposed to be an average of actual sale prices for a vehicle with the same options. I use that as a guide when looking to buy.

And if you happen to be a recent college grad Toyota gives a $1000 off if they are still running that.

7. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    Cwpick76

Cwpick76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CW
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Xsp-X
    Blacked out badges.
    Get the trade in price you want first (if you have one). Find the truck you want to buy, check the msrp, from there start negotiating 5k-7500k under. Do not be afraid to walk out empty handed and ask for other toyota dealers in the area.

If you are paying the entire truck in cash with no financing you are always in control and don't be afraid to call them on it. Financing only gives them some more power as they play the "let me take this offer to our manager" game (which they may try anyway). It is a tactic to burn you out of time and get you to settle impatiently. Plan on being at the dealership for a few hours.

If they dont want to budge on the price or come down to where you are both comfortable then WALK OUT.

What are you looking for in the truck? What are you going to be doing with the truck? you mentioned the 4cyl. 4 door model. I am just curious.

8. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Alaskan toy

Alaskan toy Stormtrooper Corps

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Arctic Edition (TRD Off-Road)
    Tonneau, Shackle Hitch, Auto Start, OEM Seat Covers, Color Matched Interior Accents
    I doubt they have 5k to move...but you never know. Cash is an instant sale and instant profit for them.

It sucks living up here, there's only one Toyota dealership in town.

9. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM
    v1ndictiv3

v1ndictiv3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    '98 PreRunner Xtra Cab 2.7L
    Mostly stock: AFE Pro Dry S Filter, Bedrug, Leer Shell, 265/75/15 Goodyear Wrangler RT, Husky Liners, Wet Okole seat covers... Powertrax No-Slip in the near future =)
  10. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    Definately check out Edmunds website. Ton of information there on current average buying price nationwide/specific location and some decent guides. You can also ask to get a internet quote from any particular dealerships in your area. I wanna say you can pick 3 dealerships to receive a quote from. The quote you get will be below MSRP to start off, then work from there. If it is even close to MSRP, don't even bother for the most part.

The only other thing I could say would be waiting until July to buy a current year. I say this because the 2014's will be hitting the lots and dealers will be more willing to deal to get the 2013's off the lot. This might not work out so well if you are trying to get a specialy vehicle (TX Pro, Baja model) but it would work out well for a more basic model which it looks like you are aiming to get.

11. Feb 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    Nerodivla

Nerodivla Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    2010 sr5
    Yes, cash is an instant sale to a dealer. But they will make a lot less money when you don't finance with them. That's where the real profit is.. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what to do. I wouldn't mention cash or anything about how you're paying until you're given some prices.. Make him think you're financing,get a price, and then last minute tell him you've got cash..

12. Feb 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Assuming you finish negotiations by the weekend and left a deposit, that leaves you four days to get a bank draft ready for the full amount.

13. Feb 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    aleraiders

aleraiders [OP] Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Future Owner
    Basically to get to and from work....and hop in the truck and take a trip to LA, vegas, etc...im not really looking for a TRUCK as in hauling etc...mostly to and from work

but i am second guessing if i should get a V6 or not

tell me what you guys think....i send about 6 emails a few nights ago at around 9pm....thinking that the next morning they would call back or email...well at 9:47pm one dealer called me asking me about what type of car i wanted etc etc...is that somewhat desperate?

14. Feb 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    CaliAsh

CaliAsh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco TRD Sport DCLB
    Trail Limo
    Did you email the dealer directly saying you wanted to buy something or build the truck (on Toyota's website or another) and use that feature to request a quote?

Personally, I would have asked them why they felt it was OK to call instead of a email close to 10pm in the evening :)

Dealer desperation can be a couple things. One, they really really want to sell you a vehicle. Two, they really really want to sell you a vehicle you do not need but they want to get rid of.

15. Feb 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I don't think there is a very big difference in the 4 vs 6 as far as mpg's. At least not enough imo to go with the 4. But I don't drive that much either.

16. Feb 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    Cwpick76

Cwpick76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CW
    Wichita, KS
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Xsp-X
    Blacked out badges.
    Do a little research on the mileage, toyota website will give you their statistical mileage. Not going to be doing any wheeling? not going to be hauling regularly? just a road truck mostly highway? 4 cyl will probably do you just fine.

17. Feb 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The showroom and sales dept of some dealers open until pretty late, until after 9 pm. Since they got the email at 9 pm, they probably figured it was OK to call.

18. Feb 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM
    The1youluv2hate

The1youluv2hate Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peps
    SAnta Paula CA
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD sPort 4x4 (11mgmsport)
    oem pro grill 17” pro rep wheels Fox dsc shocks
    I just traded in my girls car for a camry , know what price you want to pay and don't budge
    for me the three main things where

The price of the car I was buying
    Interest %
    what they were gonna give me for my trade in

19. Feb 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Make sure you roll all the closing costs into the price...Figure out what they all add up to...say $400 and then tell them to reduce the price by that amount so you pay the same amount...They can't "Not charge you" them but they roll them into the price

20. Feb 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    aleraiders

aleraiders [OP] Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Future Owner
    what are my chances of walking away with it for 20K?

Products Discussed in

To Top