Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Northern California

Notices

Tips on buying a new Tacoma this weekend...

Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
aleraiders is on a distinguished road
aleraiders's Tacoma Gallery
Tips on buying a new Tacoma this weekend...

So i've saved up about 25k in cash....i was looking at a dark gray 4 cyl 4 door priced at about 25K or so....any tips?

ive read some tips like...

going on the last weekend of the month...setting a price before even mentioning cash or credit...short answers so he cant size me up...

any others??

plus how much can he knock off the msrp? (25k)

tell me what you guys think....i send about 6 emails a few nights ago at around 9pm....thinking that the next morning they would call back or email...well at 9:47pm one dealer called me asking me about what type of car i wanted etc etc...is that somewhat desperate?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Make sure it comes with the kegerator.

But yeah it sounds like you have it figured out pretty well already. I don't have a lot of experience with buying cars so I don't honestly have a lot of advice to give.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
JW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJW87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JW
JW87's Tacoma Gallery
I got screwed they did a credit check before they even let me test drive.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
bdsorcic is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
bdsorcic's Tacoma Gallery
Check for drive line vibration at takeoff from a stop light or trying to merge into freeway traffic from a stop light. ... Stomp on the gas and see how it goes! You can decide from there on.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p0ZIgGy1jF8

so what kind of "big savings" are they talking about??

im really wanting to get it under 20K out the door...possible?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Use Truecar and Edmunds. They give what is supposed to be an average of actual sale prices for a vehicle with the same options. I use that as a guide when looking to buy.

And if you happen to be a recent college grad Toyota gives a $1000 off if they are still running that.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Cwpick76 is on a distinguished road

Army: IT
Name: CW
Cwpick76's Tacoma Gallery
Get the trade in price you want first (if you have one). Find the truck you want to buy, check the msrp, from there start negotiating 5k-7500k under. Do not be afraid to walk out empty handed and ask for other toyota dealers in the area.

If you are paying the entire truck in cash with no financing you are always in control and don't be afraid to call them on it. Financing only gives them some more power as they play the "let me take this offer to our manager" game (which they may try anyway). It is a tactic to burn you out of time and get you to settle impatiently. Plan on being at the dealership for a few hours.

If they dont want to budge on the price or come down to where you are both comfortable then WALK OUT.

What are you looking for in the truck? What are you going to be doing with the truck? you mentioned the 4cyl. 4 door model. I am just curious.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt they have 5k to move...but you never know. Cash is an instant sale and instant profit for them.

It sucks living up here, there's only one Toyota dealership in town.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Definately check out Edmunds website. Ton of information there on current average buying price nationwide/specific location and some decent guides. You can also ask to get a internet quote from any particular dealerships in your area. I wanna say you can pick 3 dealerships to receive a quote from. The quote you get will be below MSRP to start off, then work from there. If it is even close to MSRP, don't even bother for the most part.

The only other thing I could say would be waiting until July to buy a current year. I say this because the 2014's will be hitting the lots and dealers will be more willing to deal to get the 2013's off the lot. This might not work out so well if you are trying to get a specialy vehicle (TX Pro, Baja model) but it would work out well for a more basic model which it looks like you are aiming to get.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #11
Nerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shedNerodivla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Nerodivla's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, cash is an instant sale to a dealer. But they will make a lot less money when you don't finance with them. That's where the real profit is.. You seem to have a pretty good idea of what to do. I wouldn't mention cash or anything about how you're paying until you're given some prices.. Make him think you're financing,get a price, and then last minute tell him you've got cash..
Old 02-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleraiders View Post
going on the last weekend of the month...
Assuming you finish negotiations by the weekend and left a deposit, that leaves you four days to get a bank draft ready for the full amount.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwpick76 View Post
What are you looking for in the truck? What are you going to be doing with the truck? you mentioned the 4cyl. 4 door model. I am just curious.
Basically to get to and from work....and hop in the truck and take a trip to LA, vegas, etc...im not really looking for a TRUCK as in hauling etc...mostly to and from work

but i am second guessing if i should get a V6 or not

tell me what you guys think....i send about 6 emails a few nights ago at around 9pm....thinking that the next morning they would call back or email...well at 9:47pm one dealer called me asking me about what type of car i wanted etc etc...is that somewhat desperate?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
CaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliAsh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
Name: Jesse
CaliAsh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Basically to get to and from work....and hop in the truck and take a trip to LA, vegas, etc...im not really looking for a TRUCK as in hauling etc...mostly to and from work

Did you email the dealer directly saying you wanted to buy something or build the truck (on Toyota's website or another) and use that feature to request a quote?

Personally, I would have asked them why they felt it was OK to call instead of a email close to 10pm in the evening

Dealer desperation can be a couple things. One, they really really want to sell you a vehicle. Two, they really really want to sell you a vehicle you do not need but they want to get rid of.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't think there is a very big difference in the 4 vs 6 as far as mpg's. At least not enough imo to go with the 4. But I don't drive that much either.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #16
Cwpick76 is on a distinguished road

Army: IT
Name: CW
Cwpick76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Do a little research on the mileage, toyota website will give you their statistical mileage. Not going to be doing any wheeling? not going to be hauling regularly? just a road truck mostly highway? 4 cyl will probably do you just fine.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAsh View Post
Personally, I would have asked them why they felt it was OK to call instead of a email close to 10pm in the evening
The showroom and sales dept of some dealers open until pretty late, until after 9 pm. Since they got the email at 9 pm, they probably figured it was OK to call.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
I just traded in my girls car for a camry , know what price you want to pay and don't budge
for me the three main things where

The price of the car I was buying
Interest %
what they were gonna give me for my trade in
Old 02-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you roll all the closing costs into the price...Figure out what they all add up to...say $400 and then tell them to reduce the price by that amount so you pay the same amount...They can't "Not charge you" them but they roll them into the price
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
what are my chances of walking away with it for 20K?